House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Farage Testical Cancer Article In The Telegraph - Why Reveal This Given Possible Analogies

Just read this article in the Telegraph; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11466515/Nigel-Farage-Cancer-a-lemon-sized-testicle-and-how-the-NHS-failed-me.html

Obviously good he recovered and the cancer hadn't spread. But why reveal this now?

I can see some risk -

number 1, the obvious health concerns for politicians, though it was a long time ago.

number 2, this is a bit childish, but there was a rather famous marching song penned circa 1939 about a certain Mr Hitler which leads to an unfortunate comparison. This was definitely still doing the rounds in school playground when I was a lad in the 1970s - though admittedly I went to school about 10 miles from Aldershot.

Just read this article in the Telegraph; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11466515/Nigel-Farage-Cancer-a-lemon-sized-testicle-and-how-the-NHS-failed-me.html

Obviously good he recovered and the cancer hadn't spread. But why reveal this now?

I can see some risk -

number 1, the obvious health concerns for politicians, though it was a long time ago.

number 2, this is a bit childish, but there was a rather famous marching song penned circa 1939 about a certain Mr Hitler which leads to an unfortunate comparison. This was definitely still doing the rounds in school playground when I was a lad in the 1970s - though admittedly I went to school about 10 miles from Aldershot.

I knew about his cancer. He talked about it on that channel 4 programme where he had a drunken dinner with that posh couple from the gogglebox programme.

Drip, drip, drip... there will have been meetings to plan how to undermine the upstarts. Everything fair game.

I want Millibands hair, cleggs nose, Farages ears and Camerons eyes for prime minister.

There must be a fully operational human between them

I knew about his cancer. He talked about it on that channel 4 programme where he had a drunken dinner with that posh couple from the gogglebox programme.

Yes, saw that.

And it wasn't presented as some exclusive scoop so I assumed that it was already public domain.

Farage has only got one ball

Cameron has two but very small

Cable is very able

But poor old Milly has no balls at all

The Telegraph largely represents certain City interests, and sells its rag to grey-haired 50+ readers.

Who might vote UKIP, in despair at Cameron.

Farage has, in their view, a few good ideas which Cameron ought to listen to. When they don't get their way, they champion him.

That article and especially the size of it on the home page is about presenting a nice man who is only human after all, and that he is not, actually, the racist, xenophobic ****** that so many might suspect.

Then one of two things happens - Conservative policy leans in that direction so their job is done, and the next day there will be an article about how lovely Cameron is because you lot knew you were going to vote for him anyway, didn't you, and not that madman called Farage whom we were championing the cause of as recently as yesterday.

Or, it doesn't. So a few days later they will try again.

The primary purpose is to keep Labour out.

In the context of the NHS, this other article from a couple of days ago might be relevant.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/jeremy-warner/11462223/Reimagining-the-state-must-start-with-healthcare-soon.html

What makes me giggle, is how obvious the brief is and how easy it is to reverse-engineer.

So many scared by Farage...liberals...do gooders..the City and financial institutions..Oh my, vested interests of all pursuasions shaking in their boots...he might give some power to the people...cannot have that now can we...many on HPC who are worried about Farage too.

Has anyone actually read this, apart from Mark? It's an extract from his autobiography, presumably published with his full approval. The subheading is

In the first exclusive extract from the Ukip leader's book, The Purple Revolution, Farage reveals how the NHS nearly killed him - and then saved his life

A large part of it's about the problems he had getting a diagnosis from the NHS:

I left London Bridge Hospital with a clear view that the NHS is so over-stretched that if you can afford private health care, you should take it, particularly for diagnostics and preventative medicine.

In the NHS, the system is so battered and poorly run that unless you are really lucky, you will fall through the cracks. The NHS is, however, astonishingly good at critical care. But what testicular cancer taught me is that the NHS will probably let you down if you need screening, fast diagnosis and an operation at a time that suits you.

The real elephant in the room is the effect on the NHS of an expanding population in Britain. No one from any of the main three parties will talk about how it has become so over-stretched because of the massive increase in the number of people arriving at our shores.

To see the article as being some kind of attempt to undermine him by making an unstated comparison with Hitler is distinctly ... weird. It's his own words, clearly written as an expression of personal experiences and how they've shaped his political views.

The real elephant in the room is the effect on the NHS of an expanding population in Britain. No one from any of the main three parties will talk about how it has become so over-stretched because of the massive increase in the number of people arriving at our shores.

logical end point to his thought process is that his optimal economy would consist of zero people. Or perhaps just 1. him.

logical end point to his thought process is that his optimal economy would consist of zero people. Or perhaps just 1. him.

Reductio ad absurdum ?

Dear oh dear

His experience mirrors mine and many others. It can take years to get a diagnosis of a serious disease. You have to be persistent and hope you can survive long enough, or have access to private healthcare. Once you are in the system, however, the care can be very good indeed.

But his experience, and mine was decades ago...ahem...in the no doubt beloved Thatcher era. Things must better since then surely. Certainly there is more screening and scanning - based on my missus' more recent experience. Cancer diagnosis also seems to be quick, especially certain types like breast cancer.

The biggest difference, however, is where you live. You can struggle to get any care at all in some areas, even register with a GP. Others will send you off for a scan if you complain of an aching shoulder.

His experience mirrors mine and many others. It can take years to get a diagnosis of a serious disease. You have to be persistent and hope you can survive long enough, or have access to private healthcare. Once you are in the system, however, the care can be very good indeed.

At the GP level NHS diagnosis follows statistical probability for the most likely illness for your age group and the symptoms you show. It's the most cost-effective, and probably, only approach for a NHS with a limited budget and for doctors with 5 minutes per patient.

Unfortunately, that means that if you are in the tails of the distribution you are 'unlucky'. Only when the simple treatments have been tried and the illness still persists will you warrant further investigation, by which time the illness will have progressed. For me, it's a particular problem when your line of work can predispose you to certain, unusual medical conditions caused by chemical exposure.

What is the NHS and GPs to do ? The system is overwhelmed by an ageing generation who have frailties largely of old age that medicine cannot cure, but who clog up surgeries expecting doctors to give youth back to their bodies. I'm not age bashing by the way, I'm sure I'll want my aches and pains fixing.

Quelle surprise. Yesterday was about that nice man called Nigel Farage for whom you might have voted.

Today's headline "My offer to the Tories: Farage reveals his proposal for a three-way pact to keep Cameron in Number 10" with a photo of him having a fag to give an impression that he's a bit, shall I say, 'crafty'.

The message from all of this: * Vote Dave *, get some of Nigel. Not too much, but just a little. Just the right proportion of Nigel. The Telegraph has truly solved the world's problems.

Forgive my cynicism.