House Price Crash Forum

Impoverished Students Pose As Millionaires To View £5M Flat

HOLA441

All agents have had their share of tyre kickers and time wasters but these two seem to have taken it to new heights. Literally.

Impoverished students Ben Foreman and Will Bainbridge whooshed up to the 18th floor of a new development in London, posing as a pair of start-up millionaires.

The un-named estate agent (but was it Knight Frank at this Berkeley Homes scheme?) apparently rolled his eyes at Wills Teeside accent but otherwise seems to have behaved impeccably.

The pair looked round the £5m penthouse with its three bedrooms and two kitchens, and thought they might just about be able to afford to put down a wastepaper basket.

The fact that we werent allowed to put a trampoline or helipad on the roof terrace was crushing. Only having two kitchens was worse still. Who did they think we were? Students?, the pair write in a student magazine.

However, they thought the flat had potential and put in a cash offer of £793.42.

Funnily enough, it was rejected.

Ben said afterwards: He [the agent] didnt look like he twigged we were just students but he may have just had a really good poker face.

I told him I worked on Savile Row which isnt technically a lie as I do have a Saturday job in Abercrombie.

The blog is here http://london.tab.co.uk/2015/03/10/we-pretended-to-be-millionaires-and-viewed-a-5-million-penthouse-for-second-year/

HOLA442
HOLA443

Hmm, but perhaps the agent isn't phased because they maybe showing these types of properties to many young and affluent, every day. Celebrities, inherited wealth, internet entrepreneurs etc. That is when the EA must remain professional at all times!

HOLA444

Hmm, but perhaps the agent isn't phased because they maybe showing these types of properties to many young and affluent, every day. Celebrities, inherited wealth, internet entrepreneurs etc. That is when the EA must remain professional at all times!

Yes the least plausible part of their story was wearing suits for the viewing.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

So I assume he put their offer to the vendor.

HOLA4413

With new developments say under phased construction you used to be able to look around the completed properties without having to be shown around by someone - not always but most of the time. Even "prestige" properties. People were said to take their flask of tea and their sandwiches with them for the day out.

Not so long ago - but it must be called progress to be have to be accompanied by an estate agent now. It must be an aspect of the post millennium security guard culture - very off putting.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4414

Reminds me when I walked into an estate agent and said I was looking for something for 600 in Newcastle during the boom years. He assumed buying. The look of disappointment on his face because of lost commission.