House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stormymonday_2011

Us Anger At Britain Joining Chinese Led Investment Bank

“This is the UK’s sovereign decision. We hope and expect that the UK will use its voice to push for adoption of high standards.

Sure no problem :rolleyes:

'Anger' when China is their first or second largest trade partner and they're trying to get the TPP deal done. And London doesn't care about standards; the city and our shiny open-market economy will accept all and any trade and monies whatever the origin or destination.

I love the fact that on Radio 4 this morning, they mentioned that one of the American concerns with the new Asian bank was that it might have 'lax lending standards'!

LOL

LOL.

I love the fact that on Radio 4 this morning, they mentioned that one of the American concerns with the new Asian bank was that it might have 'lax lending standards'!

LOL

LOL.

That actually made me LoL. Thanks.

City of London standards. Yeah, baby.

Yay! Lets destroy our heritage to house the 4 million plus immigrants plus their offspring we've had since 1997, who neither understand or respect it.

AP wrote a bit more clearly...what the yanks are really worried about...

undercutting the World Bank and International Monetary Fund.

The WB and IMF have had a monopoly on offering debt to third world countries. We'll loan you money you cant pay back. When you default we'll let you off IF you sell of state assets for cents in the dollar to our billionaire investor friends. See, competition is good...except when it disrupts the USA's monopoly on theft and pillaging the third world.

While I doubt the BRICS investment bank will be any less malevolent than the US controlled one, it at least introduces some competition into this vast loan sharking operation.

And Obama demonstrated exactly what he thought of us when he gave Brown a box set of Disney DVDs as an official gift. Tw4t.

Perhaps he understood that that gift would be something Brown could appreciate.

Yes, maybe, but that's absolutely no excuse for publicly humiliating the leader of your supposed closest ally, even if he was a one eyed mentalist.

The WB and IMF have had a monopoly on offering debt to third world countries.

Nonsense, the private sector lends. The public bodies are just the heavy debt collectors.

One of the comments under the article.

Sending the 'poodle' to sniff out the opposition whilst complaining loudly to help establish the 'poodles' cover.

the other interesting aspect is that they've decided to inform people of what's in the offing via a newspaper couched in such disapproving terms that almost forces one to sit up and notice. They must have decided that the consequences of the arrangement are going to be very much noticed by the average person in their day to day lives.

There's still time to put these policies/arrangements in the election manifestos for people to debate it and vote on it (as if).

Edited by billybong

One of the comments under the article.

the other interesting aspect is that they've decided to inform people of what's in the offing via a newspaper couched in such disapproving terms that almost forces one to sit up and notice. They must have decided that the consequences of the arrangement are going to be very much noticed by the average person in their day to day lives.

There's still time to put these policies/arrangements in the election manifestos for people to debate it and vote on it (as if).

The UK has essentially been a U.S. fiefdom since World War 2 and many have suspected that the only reason it joined European Community was so it could function as a proxy at the top table for the U.S. government. The latter role is less important now as most former eastern block countries such as Poland and the Baltic republics are only too willing to do that job. British governments have tended to slavishly do US bidding over my lifetime so I would be surprised if Cameron and co were going to risk doing something Washington did not like since in the past such independence of policy has usually led to the humiliation of the UK politicians involved as Eden found out at Suez. Osborne is either being unusually bold and stupid here or there is a more subtle game being played by the Yanks as your comment suggests.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Where are the realtive positions of China and USA compared to USA and Britain a century ago? Id say we are somewhere between 1900 and 1930. Im happy to throw my lot in with the Chinese, get ahead of the game.

I wonder if it's just a slap on the wrist or if it could actually turn into something significant. e.g. refusal to allow the UK to renew Trident or economic sanctions.

There was another article which is closely related: according to China's richest man, the UK is a great place to invest due to its lack of scrutiny.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31838296

What's often forgotten is the technical issue - they were region 1 DVDs, so officially doorstops and unplayable unless you own a multi-region DVD player (which Hollywood hates).

Instead of using the golden opportunity to shine a blaze of publicity of how unfair controlling and stupid the region system is, and getting them to abandon it (ha!). Brown did nothing :)

We are piling into China like a naive investor

I have a feeling this is the mania phase.

The UK Gov't buying into China's as its investment strategy. China can only go up.

Edited by LiveinHope