House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Kettle Buying Anxiety

My 20 year old Phillips kettle has died - I got annoyed at all the steam coming out of it and dropped a tea towel on the sprout a few weeks ago. The results were not good - the little water indicator panels at the side popped and started leaking.

So I am in the market for a new kettle. It seems to be a minefield.

I like jug kettles and have preferred plastic in the past as opposed to metal - don't want to burn myself with a metal kettle... but having had a read of numerous reviews online there seems to be an awful lot of quality issues with kettles.... whether you buy a cheap one or a expensive one. Leaking seems to be a problem followed by water taste, switches needing to be held down, etc.

I don't want to pay too much but I also want a good one. Can anyone recommend a decent kettle.

It can't be cream or black.

I've got a value range kettle from Argos that cost me £5. It seems to work perfectly well, has a big capacity but is compact, and comes in white plastic. I've only been using it a month or so but I'm very pleased with it.

For goodness sake, don't buy one of these trendy cone-shaped ones - I regularly burn myself on the one at work when pouring after it's boiled. :( They're not tuned in to health and safety in my workplace.

I quite like these retro colours, as per Northerners link.

As it is our kitchen has a silver cooker, hob, fridge, microwave, washing machine, sink. The uniformity rather spoil by the white kettle. However, the partner's far too tight to splash out £15 on a silver one, when the white works fine. Surprisingly, I would if she let me.

I got one of them jazzy glass ones with a blue light! It broke :( Well, the lid did, but I can still 'snap' it back on so I'm still using it. Fortunately Lidl did one of the offers and had the exact same thing (unbranded) a tenner cheaper so I also have a backup. I like them in that you can actually really see if limescale if building up and then spirit vinegar it when it does (similar to how I like the halogen oven, dread to think the amount of shit that sits in the bits of the main oven that you can't see!)

I still got a plastic £5 one bought 10 years ago in asda...works like a dream....don't make them any more...no money in it.

...all the other ones I know about are either cream or black, so no point in telling you about them.

I got one of them jazzy glass ones with a blue light! It broke :( Well, the lid did, but I can still 'snap' it back on so I'm still using it. Fortunately Lidl did one of the offers and had the exact same thing (unbranded) a tenner cheaper so I also have a backup. I like them in that you can actually really see if limescale if building up and then spirit vinegar it when it does (similar to how I like the halogen oven, dread to think the amount of shit that sits in the bits of the main oven that you can't see!)

My wife bought one of these glass kettles. I've found that I don't like to see the limescale.

Perhaps it is a good job you didn't buy a house if a kettle has you reaching for a paper bag to breathe into.

TMT, man up!

(I mean that positively, sometimes someone just has to say it. It's a kettle, not cancer :))

I think I am going to go for a cheapo one as, judging by reviews on sites such as Amazon, Argos, Tesco, Sainsburys, etc, etc, it appears to be not the model or make but simply whether you get a good one or a bad one.

For every review that says a particular kettle is good there is another that says the same make and model is dire. There does not appear to be any brand that stands out. They all appear to be made in China.

Seems that I can add leaking, noisy kettles to waterproof wlaking shoes that are no longer waterproof - all now made in China.

Thanks.

For goodness sake, don't buy one of these trendy cone-shaped ones - I regularly burn myself on the one at work when pouring after it's boiled. :( They're not tuned in to health and safety in my workplace.

Those cone shaped things are lethal - I stay well away from them. They look dangerous just to look at even before you put water in them.

Another vote for a £5 kettle, Wilkinson's in my case.

I've got a branded conical shaped jobbie which was given to me living in its box. As already mentioned, it's a dangerous object, and daft too. Inconvenient to fill, clean and the synthesised whistle is fecking stupid.

And, as it's OT, a back up Thermette/ Kelly Kettle come Der Tag for when everything finally collapses and a nice cup of tea would really hit the spot. The steel versions may also be adaptable as body armour.

I bought a cheapest-available plastic kettle in 1998. It's as good as new today.

Living in a soft water area probably helps (no limescale). But doesn't Swansea have soft water too? Apart from that, a decent cheap kettle is about functionality. A more expensive one is a fashion accessory, and will be out of fashion in a year or two, so why should it last longer?

My wife bought a fancy De'Longhi kettle that takes so long to boil that you need to put it on before you go to bed if you want to make a cup of coffee before you go to work in the morning.

I think it's one of those EU things, like the hoovers and solder, and they're not allowed to sell kettles that work properly any more because boiling your kettle too quickly causes global warming :rolleyes:

We bought a fairly cheap electric one about 3 or so years ago.

I thought what an advance. When you trhought there was nothing else you could do with the humble kettle.

First off, it's really quick compared to the older ones.

Secondly, although brushed aluminium looking it has a water level viewfinder down the side with a blue light behind it so you can see how much water in the kettle there is. Saves immense amounts of time and money as you only fill to your need, and you don't have to lift it up and shake it about to determine how much water is in it (or take the lid off etc).

(apols if this is all so obvious to you)

I don't think it'll last forever though. Cheap tat you see. But now knowing the features I like I feel more confident in spending more next time.

EDIT: This looks okay. Russell Hobbs from John Lewis. You can't get more traditional than that. (DYOR)

http://www.johnlewis.com/russell-hobbs-19390-kettle-stainless-steel/p231782186

EDIT2: OOOh this one comes with a water filter....

(I'm getting excited now)

http://www.johnlewis.com/morphy-richards-43960-accents-brita-filter-kettle-brushed-steel/p777243?navAction=jump

The Russell Hobbs ones appear to me trendy but the reviews, on various sites, about leaking and noise seem dire.

Sainsburys do a cheap one that comes in purple or a garish green - my store has clearly opted for the garish green model only.

I bought a cheapest-available plastic kettle in 1998. It's as good as new today.

Living in a soft water area probably helps (no limescale). But doesn't Swansea have soft water too? Apart from that, a decent cheap kettle is about functionality. A more expensive one is a fashion accessory, and will be out of fashion in a year or two, so why should it last longer?

Yep, we have soft water in Swansea - still see people buying expensive kettles and irons with descaling filters in though.

My wife bought a fancy De'Longhi kettle that takes so long to boil that you need to put it on before you go to bed if you want to make a cup of coffee before you go to work in the morning.

I think it's one of those EU things, like the hoovers and solder, and they're not allowed to sell kettles that work properly any more because boiling your kettle too quickly causes global warming :rolleyes:

...or decommission a few power plants.

The plastic seems to be getting worse, tasting the water, snapping after a year or so, or both. After churning through 3 or 4 electric kettles in the same number of years we picked up an all-metal stovetop one 2nd hand, very happy with it.

The plastic seems to be getting worse, tasting the water, snapping after a year or so, or both. After churning through 3 or 4 electric kettles in the same number of years we picked up an all-metal stovetop one 2nd hand, very happy with it.

I saw some £20 Sainsbury own brand plastic ones - choice of depressing black or the most vile green - and the plastic was very thin. Gave me the impression that it would warp or become brittle quickly in sunlight. However, the reviews are very good. Couldn't face either colour in my kitchen though.

Someone probably is stupid enough to come up with a law like that. A grasp of basic physics isn't necessary for a lawmaker after all.

We `ve got exactly the same Russell Hobbs model. Paid 15 quid with vouchers.

Fast but maybe loud.

Had it 5 years, the wife beats hell out of it, uses it all year round to fill a hot water bottle (don't ask)

Nice piece of gear...will miss the blue light when it finally goes.