House Price Crash Forum

Forget Fortnightly Bin Collections The Future Is Shared Bins To Save Money

HOLA441

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-streets-could-get-shared-bins-in-waste-plan-to-save-3-4m-1-7151853

Shared bin schemes could be introduced in Sheffield as part of a council shake-up aimed at saving £3.4 million from waste services in the next two years.

Shared bin schemes could be introduced in Sheffield as part of a council shake-up aimed at saving £3.4 million from waste services in the next two years.

The proposal is outlined in a new consultation on proposed changes to waste services – which also including new charges for replacement black bins and garden waste containers – launched by the council.

It follows a pilot scheme which saw large shared containers being instead of individual bins at 20 houses on Sharrowvale Road last year and is likely to prove controversial.

The consultation document did not say how many households, streets or communities would potentially move to shared bin initiatives if such changes did go ahead.

The report says: “The proposed change will mean that shared bins will be provided, rather than individual bins for every household, in areas where there is limited space at each property to store bins, and there is space in the local amenity to provide shared bins.”

Other changes proposed include charging £20 for replacing lost and damaged black bins or blue containers, after a first replacement. Blue bins would remain free but green garden waste containers will also cost £20 from 2016.

Oh let me guess it will be all the poor areas that get shared bins??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

It makes a lot of sense. Daily collections, and you're spared that ungainly array of bins cluttering up your space (as well as the risk of them going walkies). It's the norm in many countries. See Brighton for an example of a UK city that's had them for years.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Providing the retiring boomers don't have to partake in everybody else's austerity that's the main thing.

Call it the quadruple lock for now. Guaranteed pensions (paid for by everybody else) and guaranteed personal bins (ditto)

HOLA448

It's not necessarily a crazy idea - it depends on the context. For example, I used to live in a gated flat complex in London that had communal bins. It definitely wasn't a sign of poverty - it was a nice area! The bins were at distributed "recycling points", tucked away on a lower-ground parking level. There were some big advantages - the main one being that you didn't have to care about the refuse collection timetable! Plus there was really comprehensive recycling, and a convenient place to leave bulky items. Also you never got woken by dustcarts, and you never had to wash out a wheelie bin, and never had stinky bins in your front garden, etc. Thinking back, it was great :)

If you had a terrace with a small front yard, you might be quite glad to get that space back, rather than having to house two or three wheelie bins, as seems increasingly common these days. Space for a motorbike or some extra plants instead.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I would have thought it makes sense for people without much space. Bins take up an awful lot of room.

For ages we have had to pay for garden waste bins here anyway. They used to sell green bags at the libraries or council offices, which meant you only had to pay a little now and then if you didn't have much to get rid of. Now you need to pay quite a bit for a big extra bin, and have the space for it. It's OK for the likes of us, who just take it to the tip - not everybody has that option.

HOLA4411

Don't create the rubbish in the first place. Cook from scratch, don't buy what you don't need and have a good compost heap. One of those photos above shows an empty water bottle - our water comes out of a tap, not a bottle! Bin man gets an easy time round here. There's a war on you know!

HOLA4412

Isn't it more what they do in hot EU countries? Really regular collections from large communal bins?

All the tiny rows of terraces object to having four different bins. They have to drag them down the shared alley ways back to their own yards cos you can't drag them through the house. So it'd make sense. Not all terraces are poor (Think Bath's big crescent) but an awful lot will be poor northern streets.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

For whom?

For families living 8 in a 2 up 2 down like your grandparents?

A new family has moved in opposite and the fortnightly collections are inadequate for them so they sneekily dump a whole lot of black bin liners in our virtually empty bin.....usually a bit of unrecyclable plastic etc. Just can't abide wasting food or anything.

I should accept the fact that large families have it tough and we don't need the space. However, just a bugger that our sweet smelling bin devoid of food waste for years is now being loaded up with festering food waste that leaks out of the bags and buggers the bin up for the first time ever.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Due to tiny front yards, most people on our street only have space for one wheelie bin, and most choose a recycling bin. For non-recyclable waste, we have a strict neighbourhood regime of putting out black bin bags just before the dustmen come on a Monday morning (generally this is the high point of Monday :D ). This is enforced by a "Special Bin Patrol" which ensures that the streets are kept tidy the rest of the time -- it consists of a pack of elite, highly-trained, plump foxes who will sniff out any delicious scraps and scatter your household refuse down the road! One time I put out my bags on a Sunday night (trying to be efficient) and was woken by the sound of two fat, scoffing foxes at 3am... they'd found a delicious bit of old fish! Local characters eh!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Don't create the rubbish in the first place. Cook from scratch, don't buy what you don't need and have a good compost heap. One of those photos above shows an empty water bottle - our water comes out of a tap, not a bottle! Bin man gets an easy time round here. There's a war on you know!

Very little of my waste is food waste but they still expect that to be separated out here (I don't bother though).

Garden waste bin is full though and I forgot to put it out :(

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I share a garden waste bin with my neighbour as we live in terraces with smallish gardens. Completely adequate for our needs and costs us £15 each per year instead of £30.

In the car parking area I scoop all the leaves and weeds into a pile then email the neighbours. I leave my snow scoop for them to use so can they top up their bins, most do and they appreciate that I try and keep the area in hand (no prob to me as I quite enjoy doing it), so job done.

One neighbour along the way has a long expanse of hedging. He just asks us if he can top up our bins with his excess clippings when our bins have been put out for collection. No problem to any of us.

Very fortunate that I have such great neighbours, always ready to help and co-operate for the benefit of us all whilst totally respecting privacy.

HOLA4424

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-streets-could-get-shared-bins-in-waste-plan-to-save-3-4m-1-7151853

I suspect the saving of £3.4 million has to come from the council budget in general and not specifically the waste services

Sounds like a classic case of "Washington Monument Syndrome" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_Syndrome

"First they came for the bin collections. Then they came for the social workers. Then they came for the executive officer's perks/gold plated pensions/expenses" :lol:

HOLA4425

All of that....do not create much rubbish, the food bin rarely ever gets used, only once this year, love food hate waste.

Archived