House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Amazon Reviews

Anyone else (if buying a fairly large-ish priced item) use the ask the owners option before committing to buying something?

I seem to be doing this more and more now, while reviews I find are great there's probably very few people who would edit a 5* review even if it broke one week later. I think of the reviews as an opinion on the front cover, so too speak.

If you don't do this, I suggest you start doing so and encourage others too - regardless of whether you purchase from amazon or its marketplace or not. Only downside I see is that sellers could potentially gauge interest in the product pricing wise (though with around 80 odd pages of items in my basket I've not noticed this to be an issue for stuff I really don't need and won't buy short of a lottery win!)

Problem is I always imagine that the sort of person that likes to leave lots of online reviews is the sort of person I wouldn't want to own the same stuff as.

One of my favourites was for a market leading, for power and torque, trade quality SDS drill. There was a one star review, on Amazon, which said 'far too heavy and cumbersome to put up my shelves' left by Sue from Harlow.

Another one that gets up my nose is when there are reviews left with low star ratings along the lines of 'tasted great' or 'worked really well' but 'too expensive for what it is. Why the f@ck does anyone else care if you can afford it or not?

The reviews seem to be just for the item now and not dependent upon seller - so a review that says that an item arrived quickly or well packaged or that the seller took a broken item back quickly does not mean it is the same seller you are buying from.

I buy a lot of books on Amazon. It really irritates when someone leaves a review saying it arrived quickly or the seller refused a refund.

The review is for the item. Not the vendor

Morans!

I buy a lot of books on Amazon. It really irritates when someone leaves a review saying it arrived quickly or the seller refused a refund.

The review is for the item. Not the vendor

Morans!

Yes, they seem to get it confused with giving feedback on ebay. It would be quite commical if it wasn't so annoying. I've also noticed a few product reviews on the Argos website where the reviewer has gone into great detail about how polite and helpful the nice lady on the till was etc, usually left by the more 'senior' customers ...

If you want a good laugh read the reviews for cheap package holiday places on Trip Advisor. The self righteous lower middle class British at their complaining best!

As my dad says 'if you went off trip advisor nobody would ever go anywhere'. On the other hand if you find somewhere on trip advisor that's highly rated you know it's going to be decent.

I'd actually consider reading the book on the strength of that review. Fantastic perspective.

I regularly leave reviews on Amazon. Especially for products that have disappointed or impressed. How long the product lasts is particularly important - but rarely mentioned so I always review poor lasting products. Missus bought a super expensive Kenwood toaster because it was the right shade of red - and while it was always rubbish in actually toasting the bread, I expected it to last a little longer than a year and a half - so that got a review, while I bought a replacement black one for under a tenner (less than 20% of previous one) - and it appears to have nearly the same internals as the Kenwood.