House Price Crash Forum

Which Celebrity Deaths Affected You Most?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Just to head off the "back of a matchbox" philosophers I am aware that for the vast majority of people a celebrity death does not compare to the death of family, friends or even pets. We know this thank you, so moving on:

At the time:

Dermot Morgan - I was eagerly awaiting the newly filmed third series of Father Ted, I'd read that he had moved to London from Ireland and married his partner. Heart attack.

Ted Moult - everybody's favourite Uncle - my first awareness that you don't really know some people at all, especially when you only think you know them from media appearances. Shot himself when depressed.

Retrospectively:

Ian Curtis - dark songs, a tomb on the cover, and did "closer" actually mean "ender" rather than "nearer"? Hanged himself.

Suicides of people who seem to have everything going for them are especially shocking, hence my including two above.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Oliver Postgate - quite an influential figure on a kid whose family weren't into reading him stories. He sounded like a calm, decent, kindly man and, by most accounts, was.

Robin Cook - not that I was much of a fan for most of his career but when he died I was struck by a ghastly sense that the Blair regime and all that it had initiated was unstoppable.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The aforementioned Lou Reed, Freddie Mercury, Kurt Cobain, Christopher Hitchens (although I think it was the thought "now he DEFINITELY knows" that popped into me head!), Heath Ledger (mainly because I had just been blown away by his version of the Joker), Colin McRae.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Neither did I, totally shocked it was as long ago as 2003! Is that correct? The song with the hot girls dancing behind him is one from the days of youth.

That's what wiki says:

Palmer died in a Paris hotel room from a heart attack on 26 September 2003 at the age of 54.

I can see why I missed it in 2003, long hours and loads of working away at that time meant I wasn't always following the news.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived