House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Rolling Back The Tide Of Solar Panels Covering The Countryside

Thousands of pounds of solar panels stolen from Cambridge farm

9633595-large.jpg

Police are appealing for information after several thousand pounds worth of solar panels were stolen from a farm in Cambridge.

The theft happened at the farm in Bristol Road between 9pm on Monday, March 9 and 9am on Tuesday, March 10.

Offenders gained entry to the site by removing a stile and part of a fence.

Once on the site the offenders have removed six or seven pallet-loads of solar panels worth several thousand pounds from a solar panel farm.

Are these now going to be viewed as some very valuable assets left lying around in fields for the taking?

Insurance premiums will have risen already.

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Thousands-pounds-solar-panels-stolen-Cambridge/story-26153124-detail/story.html

I'm guessing that the site is still under construction and they stole a few panels that were sitting on pallets waiting to be installed

I can't see dismantling an installation in the time window the thieves had.

In which case, the picture of a half empty solar farm looks more dramatic than maybe the case.

They graze sheep beneath them, but i cant help wondering if the shadow cast over the grass retards the growth of the grass...

Probably a little, but grass grows well naturally in the shade of trees.

Flowering plants depend a lot more on the sun (flowering takes lots of energy). So it'll be more grass, less daisies, buttercups, dandelions.

Must be valuable. My son has to guard whole fields of them as part of his job.

Mmm, I think the One Man And His Dog version of your son's job is going to be a bit shit.

How did this take so long, in a world where the metals get harvested from other vulnerable targets such as church roofs and railway lines?

Maybe, up until now, there's been a large cheap immigrant labour requirement to install solar panels, that's kept them busy.

How on earth can you plonk that lot in a field and not build homes due to 'green belt'?

You could even have solar pan tile roofs if you wanted.

Yes, as you look at the identical box like homes, thrown up by the major housebuilders, littered around the identical bypasses and roundabouts of, pretty much, every British town you could almost start to believe that planning had nothing whatsoever to do with aesthetics and was solely a cartel designed to restrict supply and inflate prices.