House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steppenpig

Neighbourly Interest

I own a small flat in berlin ~50k, pleasant/interesting area, unmodernised.

Several neighbours (whom I am on polite/friendly/nodding terms with) have expressed an interest in it, and I was wondering what the etiquette normally was in such situations. Secret bidding ? Open outcry ? First come first served ?

I know that we should remain emotionally detached, but in reality most people are influenced to varying degrees by who they think will be buying their flat.

So the backrounds, in chronologicasl order are:

1. Bloke on same floor, thinking about knocking two together. Actually mentioned it ~6 years ago, so not sure if still interested, but assume would be, but probably not willing to overpay.

2 Friendly anglophone couple who have holiday flat downstairs, and would like to combine them into maisonette. Not entirely sure how easy that will be, but I guess anything is posible. I feel like I "owe" them, as I did water stain their ceiling, but also paid for it. Probably the most interested, as they have mentioned it several times, and whom I am most friendly with

3. Chap who has separated form wife and kids who live in the block, and would like to be near them. This seems quite sweet and he is a nice guy, but no idea if that would make the wife and kids happy. Not sure if he's got the dosh either.

4. BTL investor who has just bought the flat above. Friendly chap. Would probably involve least hassle.

(I also have the option of just sitting on it. Berlin is booming, so probably increasing in value by 10% per yrear, but that isn't really significant in the grand schem of things. Relying on capital gains only makes sense if you are leveraged up to the eyeballs and worship the ponzi god. I probably will visit for a week or two a year, but will be just as cheap to stay in a hotel compared to my ground rent /service charge plus electric plus heating, and hassle of maintaining bank accounts etc.)

Edited by Steppenpig

I know that we should remain emotionally detached, but in reality most people are influenced to varying degrees by who they think will be buying their flat.

Can't say I understand this. You are selling something, and will not be around afterwards. Highest bidder gets it.

Never apologise, never feel guilty. If you ever do owt for nowt, make sure tha does it for thissen.

Now have to go out and walk the whippet.

Can't say I understand this.

Can't say I blame you, but the main question was meant to be the practicalities. But peolple often like to knowabout other stuff though.

The practicalities: Do I ask them all to submit written bids? Do I tell them who is competing/winning? Do I tell them what the current bid is? Should I send round robin emails, so they all know they ar being treated equally? Note that estate agents aren't really very common here, most sales are advertised privately on property sites, although it would also be possibe. I think it does add a degree of awkwardness, in that they all know each other (but not "especially" friendly with one another)

Edited by Steppenpig

I would let them all know you intend to sell, and if more than one offer an acceptable amount choose your buyer on a price / convenience / lack of hassle basis. You should not let emotion get in the way of financial decisions.