House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

How Honest Are You?

So, would you have returned the money? Go on tell the truth now! ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-31780074

That aside, I must confess to being slightly dismayed that this is what passes for/qualifies these days to be a worthy news story to make it to the BBC news website - even if it is for the local Essex news section. Surely there must be more significant goings on in the backwaters of Essex more worthy of reporting? OR....is it that such displays of honesty are deemed so rare these days that this in itself is newsworthy?!

A true test of character is how you behave when no-one is watching, Stephanie Corder's act may have just gone unnoticed but as it happens she has some good publicity thats probably worth a lot more than £32 should for example a future employer google her.

aka karma

No, I would have either kept it or, as a likely alternative, I would have been generous with it and given it to a charity.

I would have then helped the council by squirting glue into the coin slot so that it couldn't happen again.

A true test of character is how you behave when no-one is watching, Stephanie Corder's act may have just gone unnoticed but as it happens she has some good publicity thats probably worth a lot more than £32 should for example a future employer google her.

aka karma

Well....not good/in her favour if she applies for a certain class of job in the square mile. Indeed it'll likely be a 'negative'! :lol:

Sarcasm and cynicism aside.....my thought was, unless she is a pensioner with loads of time on her hands, that she was likely actually out of pocket after the time/effort/cost on her part expended to return the money! After all they only gave her a days free parking (£5).

My time alone is worth a lot more than that. I would have, at most, spent 10 mins trying to find the relevant phone number of who to speak to/report the matter to, left a voice message if necessary, and tell them where to come to collect it themselves! Likelihood is, what with council bureaucracy, no one would ever turn up to collect. I keep the money and still have good karma 'cos I reported it.

I don't go along with the "my time is worth..." thing, that's a pretty unpleasant way of looking at the world IMO, but I doubt I'd have bothered going out of my way to return it. If the office was next door then I probably would've, go to the effort of finding out where to go and going there?

I don't go along with the "my time is worth..." thing, that's a pretty unpleasant way of looking at the world IMO, but I doubt I'd have bothered going out of my way to return it. If the office was next door then I probably would've, go to the effort of finding out where to go and going there?

No its not. It's being perfectly, and honestly, pragmatic about everyday life. There is always a point of rapidly diminishing returns.

The point in being honest is part of the general ethos of 'do unto others as you would expect them to do to you'.

Alas, as we know too well these days, the mindless amoral morons who inhabit officialdom these days have no concept of the understanding of 'in the publics best interest' (i.e don't care about you or me).

There are thus some situations, such as this, where there is no wider benefit to be gained by returning the money. Indeed, as noted above, giving the money to charity would be better for everyone.

That said, however, the more I think about this story the more I realise that she, or any one of us, had no choice but to be honest about the windfall.

What with public CCTV covering just about every square centimetre of space we occupy except public lavatories(???) we are pretty much browbeaten into being honest. We could be sure that, IF we walked away with the loot, the council would have noted being out of pocket, launched an enquiry, tasked person(s) to track down the 'villain' (with help of CCTV evidence, car number plate, etc), paid for costly legal counsel to pursue prosecution for theft, etc etc etc.

The end cost, of course, in manhours and actual money to the ratepayers being vastly more than the £32 originally lost.

I would not have taken it. Lots of council car parks have cctv.

I might have sat in the car and waited to see if a bunch of scrotes started fighting over it. That could be funny.

No I wouldn't have bothered returning it. I'm afraid I share similar cynicism about officialdom as some of the previous posters, and £32 is peanuts to them too. For example, I knew of one chocolate bar machine on one particular railway station which would always dispense two items rather than one - and it retained this capability for years.

But I did recently find myself in the situation of having found something worth more than £5K, and since the owner was traceable I did go out of my way to return it.

I too wonder how on earth such stories end up becoming news.

So, would you have returned the money? Go on tell the truth now! ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-31780074

That aside, I must confess to being slightly dismayed that this is what passes for/qualifies these days to be a worthy news story to make it to the BBC news website - even if it is for the local Essex news section. Surely there must be more significant goings on in the backwaters of Essex more worthy of reporting? OR....is it that such displays of honesty are deemed so rare these days that this in itself is newsworthy?!

It suits the BBC's agenda. "Look little people/plebs/sheeple - pay your masters what we decide - it is for your own good"

fair point. but I think you could plausibly plead ignorance in court if a parking ticket machine vomited money on you.

If it went to magistrates, which is more than likely, they would more than likely take a very dim view and find you guilty. Always, always, when given the choice, pick a jury trial, as far more likely to acquit.

The test for dishonesty in english law is" would a reasonable person consider said act dishonest" - magistrates who have seen criminals in front of them for years have a rather jaded view of defendants, whereas a jury really thinks long and hard about the consequences of finding people guilty and more often than not 'chicken out' of finding guilty

I would've returned it.

Apart from anything else, £32 is simply not enough to put the slightest risk to one's reputation.

OK then. To take this thread/topic a little further.......Consider the situation of ATM/cash machines dispensing more than the requested amount (e.g request £30 and it spews out, say, £60)

Admittedly rare - but it does happen. Has happened to me. Has it happened to you? If so, did you return that money? Would you return it IF this were to happen to you?

Hands up all those here who have had this happen to them ? And how many o fyou returned the money?

The banks always know, not long after, that this error has happened and will contact you to request you return the excess amount.....BUT, to the best of my knowledge, that's al they do and they don't actually take the excess from your account. At least that is what has happened to me in the past.

I would have kept it, no question.

i don't feel morally obligated to help governments or corporations.

Agreed.

BTW, governments are corporations too. ;)

OK then. To take this thread/topic a little further.......Consider the situation of ATM/cash machines dispensing more than the requested amount (e.g request £30 and it spews out, say, £60)

Admittedly rare - but it does happen. Has happened to me. Has it happened to you? If so, did you return that money? Would you return it IF this were to happen to you?

Of course not, banks are the worst kind of crooks, I'd never voluntarily do anything to help crooks.

30 odd years ago I was parked in a car park at a Gower beach having a grope in the back of my car with a gf when a car pulled up by the car park ticket machine, a man got out and unlocked it and removed the cash. This was about 1 in the morning. I remember thinking that it was a funny time to empty the ticket machine of cash.

A few months back I was walking along a road and saw an elderly lady get out of a disability bus ahead of me. I saw her open her purse and hand something to the driver before going into her house. As I walked past her house there was a wad of tenners on the pavement about 6 to 10 feet from her front door.

I assumed that she had dropped it when opening her purse so I knocked on her door and handed her the money. No idea if it was her money but it wasn't mine.

A few weeks later I passed her house again and she asked me if I could carry a small TV into her house from her car. I did so and, upon doing so, she asked me if I was the same man who handed her the money. She said that she had called her daughter to say how lucky she was that someone had found her money and had returned it.

Was the gf the elderly lady?

Yes. I was also the person emptying the car park ticket machine at 1 in the morning. By a relativity quirk I was both watching, and being watched, whilst the machine was emptied by myself.

I just thought it was dark at 1 am and then you wound forward 30 years and she'd turned into an elderly lady.

There seemed to be more to the story than you were telling us. :rolleyes:

I probably was playing with myself in the car. Don't recall getting that lucky when I was a teen :lol: