House Price Crash Forum

Harrison Ford's Missing Plane Found

happy_renting

HOLA441

Investigators searching for Harrison Ford's missing plane have found it.

They turned up at the reported crash site and immediately said "oooh, there it is".

Ford, who despite being in an airworthy plane that, having a failed engine was still perfectly controllable as an impromtu glider, bravely decided to land it rather than defy physics and stay up there.

Eyewitnesses said "It was an amazing effort by Ford. All he had to keep him in the air was an airplane. He managed to get it back on the ground aided by nothing more than aerodynamics and gravity. Although he still broke the plane, which was a slightly shitty flying."

Ford saved hundreds of lives by deciding to land in an open space.

Normally golf courses are teeming with two or three of people, but Ford managed to land in an open space where he would less likely to cause damage to people, his plane, or himself.

An eyewitness said "If I were in that situation, my first thought would be to look for a large crowd of people and aim straight at them. Ford is clearly made of sterner stuff, and had the courageous idea of trying to land his plane on a flat open space. I would never have thought of that."

"Landing a plane without power is different to landing with an engine. Although glider pilots do it all the time, without smashing their planes to bits."

"It was a text-book landing, if the text-book is about crashing. So he still managed to f*ck that bit up a little".

HOLA442

Very good ;)

I think back to that clip from "Mars Attacks" where one of the cast muses what action they should take in response to the aliens' attacks, and glances at a picture of Harrison on the wall.

"I wonder what President Ford would have done".

HOLA443

Investigators searching for Harrison Ford's missing plane have found it.

They turned up at the reported crash site and immediately said "oooh, there it is".

Ford, who despite being in an airworthy plane that, having a failed engine was still perfectly controllable as an impromtu glider, bravely decided to land it rather than defy physics and stay up there.

Eyewitnesses said "It was an amazing effort by Ford. All he had to keep him in the air was an airplane. He managed to get it back on the ground aided by nothing more than aerodynamics and gravity. Although he still broke the plane, which was a slightly shitty flying."

Ford saved hundreds of lives by deciding to land in an open space.

Normally golf courses are teeming with two or three of people, but Ford managed to land in an open space where he would less likely to cause damage to people, his plane, or himself.

An eyewitness said "If I were in that situation, my first thought would be to look for a large crowd of people and aim straight at them. Ford is clearly made of sterner stuff, and had the courageous idea of trying to land his plane on a flat open space. I would never have thought of that."

"Landing a plane without power is different to landing with an engine. Although glider pilots do it all the time, without smashing their planes to bits."

"It was a text-book landing, if the text-book is about crashing. So he still managed to f*ck that bit up a little".

Planes aren't designed as gliders. If you are cruising at 10000 ft and the engine fails you have plenty of time to push the nose down and get some airspeed before the thing stalls. The chance of then gliding to a controlled landing are quite good.

If you have just taken off your airspeed could be low and the planes attitude not condusive to entering a glide position quickly, plus you don't have the luxury of a several thousand foot cushion to gain airspeed so you can stop the plane from stalling and glide to a controlled landing. Similar issues can occur on landing, where your airspeed is low and you could (or in fact should) be close to a stall moments before the landing takes place, without several thousand feet of space to help you recover.

So to expect a pilot to recover from engine failure in any scenario is ambitious.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Planes aren't designed as gliders. If you are cruising at 10000 ft and the engine fails you have plenty of time to push the nose down and get some airspeed before the thing stalls. The chance of then gliding to a controlled landing are quite good.

If you have just taken off your airspeed could be low and the planes attitude not condusive to entering a glide position quickly, plus you don't have the luxury of a several thousand foot cushion to gain airspeed so you can stop the plane from stalling and glide to a controlled landing. Similar issues can occur on landing, where your airspeed is low and you could (or in fact should) be close to a stall moments before the landing takes place, without several thousand feet of space to help you recover.

So to expect a pilot to recover from engine failure in any scenario is ambitious.

Firstly, if the engine cut out, you'd have to physically hold the control column back to get it to stall. Once configured, most aircraft will want to stay flying at the same AoA - so cut the engine and it'll nose down automatically so you won't need to push the nose down. And why would you gain airspeed to stop the aircraft from stalling? - you can stall an aircraft at any speed - anyway you'd want to lose speed to get to the optimum gliding range configuration.

There's a lot of confusion and misinformation around how light aircraft fly. People think the throttle controls the speed, and the elevators make the aircraft go up and down. In reality once established in stable flight, it's the other way round.

Secondly, I think you rather missed the humour behind the OP!

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417