House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Aldi Or Lidl?

Both will leave you wanting to visit a normal supermarket after being limited by their tat. How these places are so popular is beyond me (especially Aldi), and they're not that much cheaper.

If at the big 3 you were to just buy supermarket branded items and things of offer, you'd see they're not that much more expensive than Aldi/Lidl...

Both will leave you wanting to visit a normal supermarket after being limited by their tat. How these places are so popular is beyond me (especially Aldi), and they're not that much cheaper.

If at the big 3 you were to just buy supermarket branded items and things of offer, you'd see they're not that much more expensive than Aldi/Lidl...

That's ******** and it's been shown as that before.

Where's the best value?

The best value depends on what the cost is of travelling.....so most probably the nearest store to where you consume your purchases.....as far as I can tell the prices and stock are uniform in all stores, not like some not wanting to mention.

Now that I've been doing the weekly shop at Lidl for a few years I find most of the "normal supermarkets" pretty intolerable. 90% of their lines are processed junk and it takes a lot of mental effort to spot where the value is with their devious pricing.

I use lidl weekly and Aldi once a month or so.

I can get more stuff in Lidl but a few of Aldi's products are a bit nicer.

Both used to be quite a distance away, preferred lidl say 5 years ago, maybe partly affecyed by sulibriousness of area or stock profile of the aldi. Last 2/3 years though I rate Aldi higher, they seem to have spent more on the product range development and keeping stores stocked,l loca lidl can somtimes look somewhat dishevelled.

I am inclined to agree with some of this. I have been an occasional user of Aldi/Lidl for over 15 years with the proviso that you have to be cautious about what you buy from them. That, mixed in with Waitrose/Sainsbury's has been my shopping strategy for a long time. However there are problems and I am rapidly going off these deep discounters for the following reasons.

1/ - some of the worst vegetables I have bought over the past five years have been Aldi/Lidl - their quality is patchy at best.

2/ - a too frequent experience of a 'plasticy' taste with some of their products - as if products have been stored too long and absorbed some of the palsticiser in their packaging. This is very worrying as it implies that the stores or their suppliers are using food which is probably unfit for human consumption. My guess is this is being driven by a highly cost conscious purchasing strategy which squeezes every part of the supply chain. This in turn would lead to product/ingredients which would be rejected by main-stream retailers slipping into the Aldi/Lidl stores.

My current purchases at my local Lidl, which is very convenient, is for Beer, Wine and a few other things. If those prices rise I won't bother visiting anymore.

In conclusion, I suspect Lidl/Aldi will be seeing a lot less of my £ in the future.