House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

The Reduced Shelf Economy Booms As Best Before Food Co Makes £ Millions

Approved Food: Entrepreneur rejected by Dragon's Den makes millions selling food that has passed its 'best before' date

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/approved-food-entrepreneur-rejected-by-dragons-den-makes-millions-selling-food-that-has-passed-its-best-before-date-10084381.html

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/

Last year the 40-year-old and his business partner, Andy Needham, took their idea to the Dragons in the hope of securing a £150,000 investment for a 10 per cent stake in their business. The BBC show aired in February – but the pair was turned away without any money.

However, not to be disheartened, they managed to instead raise £40,000 through a series of loans and other investments – leading to a £4million turnover at Approved Food, according to the Mail Online.

And now business is booming as bargain-hunters flock to fill up their online trollies and save up to 70 per cent on their shopping bill. Approved Food, which operates from a warehouse in Sheffield, currently deals with around 600 orders a day.

But even more shoppers are logging on today, after Cluderay appeared on ITV's Bargain Fever Britain last night. The company's website has been hit by technical difficulties due to the volume of customers.

Cut out the middle man and just do it yourselves at Tesco or Sainsbury because the discounts will be a hell of a lot deeper....most things usually go down to 10p in the last desperate throw of the dice before the skip or these middle men.

Save pounds by not going to Lidl and Asda, who if they do reduce are having a laugh at the customers' expense.

Cut out the middle man and just do it yourselves at Tesco or Sainsbury because the discounts will be a hell of a lot deeper....most things usually go down to 10p in the last desperate throw of the dice before the skip or these middle men.

Save pounds by not going to Lidl and Asda, who if they do reduce are having a laugh at the customers' expense.

Indeed, but the scrums at supermarket reduced shelves are quite time consuming and can only get more intense, especially at " final markdown" times IMO.

One argument against such co's are that its processed food mainly, for fresh er food the local reduced shelf would be a better bet

Unfortunately supermarkets do not deliver reduced food & delivery charges are very cheap for this co., when you factor in time / petrol etc. Unless you want to set up a network of reduce shelf shoppers yourself :D

Edit: but seriously, I think there may be a localised market for buying the fresh reduced veg & friit at the supermarket & pickling / freezing / drying it, but you would be up against economies of scale on the energy front

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/page?name=delivery-charges

• Delivery costs £5.99 for England and Wales and parts of Scotland (see below).
  • Each shopping box can contain a maximum of 25kg of shopping
  • Multi-box shipping deals - If your order runs into two boxes the total delivery cost is £8.50 for 50kgs additional boxes there after charged at only £4.50 each per 25kg.
  • Delivery should be within 2 to 3 working days
  • We use a number of national courier company's that have track and trace services. At the point of shipment we choose the right carrier for the service required based on you location and the contents of your order
Scotland
For some areas in Scotland the charge is £10.50 for a box (25kg) depending on where you live. Register with us to see what your delivery rate is for your area. Unfortunately there is no multi-box shipping deals for these areas

N. Ireland and UK islands
For N. Ireland and UK islands the charge is £12.00
Republic of Ireland
£15  for a 25kg box

Collection

If you prefer to collect your goods personally,you can order on line and then arrange to pick up your parcel.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Oh well this will last .....until producers of food change their mind and start using 'use by' on everything instead.

Indeed, but the scrums at supermarket reduced shelves are quite time consuming and can only get more intense, especially at " final markdown" times IMO.

One argument against such co's are that its processed food mainly, for fresh er food the local reduced shelf would be a better bet

Unfortunately supermarkets do not deliver reduced food & delivery charges are very cheap for this co., when you factor in time / petrol etc. Unless you want to set up a network of reduce shelf shoppers yourself :D

Edit: but seriously, I think there may be a localised market for buying the fresh reduced veg & friit at the supermarket & pickling / freezing / drying it, but you would be up against economies of scale on the energy front

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/page?name=delivery-charges

Indeed, at the sainsburies in Kingston there is an inner circle of hardcore bargain hunters that descend before closing, forming a ring around the yellow ticket man and blocking the fresh food aisles off from "outsiders"! I'm all for a bargain but these people are positively aggressive...satisfying on the odd occasion you beat them to it though

Indeed, at the sainsburys in Kingston there is an inner circle of hardcore bargain hunters that descend before closing, forming a ring around the yellow ticket man and blocking the fresh food aisles off from "outsiders"! I'm all for a bargain but these people are positively aggressive...satisfying on the odd occasion you beat them to it though

That's hardcore!

I have better results at the Tesco Metro / smaller Express stores than the big supermarkets. I don't mind paying a bit more in M & S & Waitrose.

Often I find it better to pay a bit more at the 2nd to last final mark down of the evening, rather than wait to compete / lose out to the veterans at the final markdown.

Getting a bigger freezer has helped, as one can accumulate in the better times to last out the droughts. :D

I've never seen it this bad ...

Reduction time used to be fairly civilised at my local Tesco, you'd have a chat with the guy reducing the stuff and the regulars would pass stuff around to everyone. But it is turning nastier now. Basically the same two women try to grab everything, chuck it into their trolley, sort through it - and then throw back anything they don't want onto the counter. This in turn means others are now trying to grab it before they do while swearing at each other. The staff now reduce the stuff out back now as well - and frankly I can't blame them.

I think I my trips to the reductions counter may be numbered as I don't need this kind of hassle over a few reduced items. Still not exactly sure why I do it all nowadays - a hangover from my poorer days perhaps, and its good to think you're eating stuff that might have otherwise be wasted while contributing to Tesco's misfortunes.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Reduction time used to be fairly civilised at my local Tesco, you'd have a chat with the guy reducing the stuff and the regulars would pass stuff around to everyone. But it is turning nastier now. Basically the same two women try to grab everything, chuck it into their trolley, sort through it - and then throw back anything they don't want onto the counter. This in turn means others are now trying to grab it before they do while swearing at each other. The staff now reduce the stuff out back now as well - and frankly I can't blame them.

I think I my trips to the reductions counter may be numbered as I don't need this kind of hassle over a few reduced items. Still not exactly sure why I do it all nowadays - a hangover from my poorer days perhaps, and its good to think you're eating stuff that might have otherwise be wasted while contributing to Tesco's misfortunes.

...or they feel smug about nabbing a bargain, whereas in reality, it'll sit in their fridge, and end up being thrown away a week later...

Interested in that lte sell by date website.

Of course, it will only make profit if it can remain competitive...and the supermarkets know all about that, and so they have things like loss leaders to get you in the door, on the website or wherever the sales are.

Once inside though, they have you. for the ignorant, being in a website that sells cheap, doesnt mean it is. Heres proof:

Cheap shop on line hyped in dragons den: £1.29

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/snacks/ye_olde_oak_6_american_style_hot_dogs_in_brine_560g-144743-p?pid=144743

so cheap there is even a limit per customer.

Tesco no limit per customer, self same product £1.00

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=265846653

£0.29 cheaper in Tesco...

And yet people tell me that people are not influenced by hype and VI sales forces.

Of course, it will only make profit if it can remain competitive...and the supermarkets know all about that, and so they have things like loss leaders to get you in the door, on the website or wherever the sales are.

Once inside though, they have you. for the ignorant, being in a website that sells cheap, doesnt mean it is. Heres proof:

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/snacks/ye_olde_oak_6_american_style_hot_dogs_in_brine_560g-144743-p?pid=144743

And yet people tell me that people are not influenced by hype and VI sales forces.

It's the same price when you compare the same product.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=261037799

yours are 400g, my comparison is the 560g.

560g looks even better value

yes, but tesco say this is on a half price offer (same full price as reduced co. ) . Can someone compare a wider selection of items overtime with a food comparison site to test the theory ?

The firm will of course charge what the market will bear, capitalising on sheeples ignorance / laziness

Edit: Perhaps if supermarket reduced shelf shopping becomes more like a Black Friday scrum, firms like http://www.approvedfood.co.uk will prosper as it becomes a libility for the supermarket staff to deal with reduced food scrums.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I got 40 bags on McCoys King Prawn from them the other month. I have 37 left!

[/bunkerstash!]

The weight on your original link is wrong... they are the same product at the same price.

http://www.yeoldeoak.co.uk/products/hotdogs/american-range

You mean the website describes what you get as 560g and shows a pic of the 400g product.

Couple of potential offences there I think.

written overtakes pictures in this case If it describes 560g, that is what you should recieve. The comparison stands

EDIT 560g appears in the headline the product description AND the picture caption. although the website is now down due to being too busy.

Edited by Bloo Loo

That's hardcore!

I have better results at the Tesco Metro / smaller Express stores than the big supermarkets. I don't mind paying a bit more in M & S & Waitrose.

Often I find it better to pay a bit more at the 2nd to last final mark down of the evening, rather than wait to compete / lose out to the veterans at the final markdown.

Getting a bigger freezer has helped, as one can accumulate in the better times to last out the droughts. :D

I've never seen it this bad ...

reminds me of tesco at new malden , not being racist but the people doing this were all of asian origin .

reminds me of tesco at new malden , not being racist but the people doing this were all of asian origin .

It's because they can remember having nothing.

As a result, when faced with plenty they become greedy and would quite happily kick a fly off a bucket of shit.

Saw the program, thought most of the products they had were rubbish and not even that cheap. Don't get me wrong - I don't have a problem with eating food that is past the sell by date. I actually have a sack of rice that's two years past date that I am still working my way through. The problem here is that a lot of the stuff that's for sale has went past the sell by date for a reason.