House Price Crash Forum

Cameron Will Only Partake In 1 Tv Debate

cool_hand

HOLA441

Kick this twit out in May please.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31742155

David Cameron has said he will take part in only one televised debate ahead of the general election, featuring seven party leaders.

The announcement rules out a head-to-head clash with Labour leader Ed Miliband ahead of the May 7 poll.

Downing Street said it was a "final offer" and criticised the "chaos" of the negotiating process.

Mr Miliband has accused the PM of "wriggling" out of the three debates proposed by broadcasters.

On Twitter, Lib Dem Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg told Mr Cameron people wanted the debates to go ahead.

He added: "Stop holding them to ransom by trying to dictate the terms."

The broadcasters said they would respond to the Conservatives' proposal in due course.

'Muddy water'

Under Mr Cameron's proposal, one 90-minute contest would take place before 30 March, when the general election campaign is likely to start.

Downing Street said the Democratic Unionist Party should also be considered for inclusion.

It follows fierce debate over how the debates should be organised.

BBC deputy political editor James Landale said that with the Conservatives' ultimatum, "water that was pretty muddy has just got muddier".

Broadcasters have proposed a total of three debates.

The BBC and ITV were to hold two, both involving the Conservatives, Labour, Liberal Democrats, UKIP, Plaid Cymru, the SNP and the Greens.

A third debate - hosted by Sky and Channel 4 - would feature a head-to-head between Mr Cameron and Labour leader Ed Miliband.

Mr Cameron has previously said the debates should take place before the start of the election campaign, and has voiced concern about the exclusion of first the Green Party and then the DUP.

Broadcasters 'committed'

Earlier, during Prime Minister's Questions in the Commons, Mr Miliband accused Mr Cameron of trying to "avoid" their one-on-one debate.

Sky and Channel 4 then offered to move the event to a different date if the leaders could agree.

In a joint statement, broadcasters said: "The BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky have received an email from the prime minister's office with a proposal.

"The broadcasters are committed to providing our audiences with election debates.

"Twenty two million people watched the debates in 2010 and we believe the debates helped people to engage with the election.

"The broadcasters have set out their proposals and continue to talk to all the relevant parties on an equitable basis.

"We will respond to the Conservatives' proposal in due course."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

He should definitely opt out.

Apart from anything else him being involved would just end up with more of his time wasting and prevarication.

A time waster if he is involved in the debate and a time waster if he isn't.

Edited by billybong

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I don't even know why they are paying him any attention. The broadcasters should simply indicate the dates, and whoever party leader wants to turn up and get some free publicity is welcome to come. If you can't make it etc - that's also fine.

That would be the best way. But maybe the Tories would get some sort of emergency injunction to stop this happening? Althoguh that would also look really bad!

HOLA449

I don't know why people are talking about these TV debates like they were the best thing since universal suffrage. Here's a quick preview for you:

"tax cut for millionaires"

"Labour chaos"

"people who work hard and want to get on in life"

blah blah blah

HOLA4410

I don't even know why they are paying him any attention. The broadcasters should simply indicate the dates, and whoever party leader wants to turn up and get some free publicity is welcome to come. If you can't make it etc - that's also fine.

This is exactly what they should do, but the BBC and CH4 are controlled by the current government and their propagandists.

HOLA4411

they're all part of the same club. There is no opposition, just theatre.

They all attend Bilderberg and apparently all belong to something called Committee of 300.

Their possible membership of the "Committee of 300" is disputed, however the influence of Common Purpose is all to evident.

CP will win the next election unless by some fluke UKIP were to have a majority.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Just said on the news that they will hold the debates anyway and 'empty-chair' him if he refuses to show up.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

He's determined not to have a debate with Farage without any of the other party leaders present as that may show UKIP to be more significant than he's willing to admit. You can smell the Tory fear of UKIP.

This is my view too. Cameron is on the run from Farage for some reason, scared stiff of debating anything with him. The beauty of this is Farage knows it too, so will really go for him if he is stupid enough to get into one of the seats.

I think having a chicken following him around for the whole campaign will do him damage too.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I agree they should empty chair him.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

He's determined not to have a debate with Farage without any of the other party leaders present as that may show UKIP to be more significant than he's willing to admit. You can smell the Tory fear of UKIP.

As much as I believe UKIP will be no good for house price deflation, I'd love to see Cameron and Farage man-on-man.

Edited by Eddie_George

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Why not simply re-run the debates from 2010? Housing crisis, healthcare crisis, employment crisis, immigration crisis, balance of payments crisis etc. Recovery's just as far away now as it was then. In fact, nothing's really changed except the burden of our debts.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425