House Price Crash Forum
wonderpup

The Solaris Recovery

There's this old soviet sci fi movie called Solaris-( they remade it recently I think) The plot is that the crew of a space station orbiting around an alien planet have gone mad and the hero is sent to investigate. He discovers that the planet is messing with their minds causing them to hallucinate and go crazy.

But the image from this film that has always stuck in my mind is the final shot- we see the hero back home on earth having apparently escaped the space station without losing his mind- he stands on the veranda of his house chatting to someone as the camera slowly pulls back to reveal that the house and it's surroundings are on a tiny island in a foaming red ocean- and at that moment we realize that he never did escape the alien planet at all- and the 'normality' he thinks he has returned to is in fact an Illusion.

This is the image that came to mind this morning when I turned on the radio to learn that the 'recovery' has finally arrived, with living standards having returned to their pre crash levels- all back to normal then?

But as the camera pulls back on this happy scene we see interest rates at 300 year lows, we see the ECB about to launch QE, we see levels of debt in almost every major country at unprecedented levels and we see Central Bankers everywhere desperately trying to trash their national currencies in an effort to stave off deflation.

So what is real and what is hallucination? Is it even sane to talk of a 'return to normal' when the basic machinery of the global economic system is so fragile that massive distortions in that system via Central Banks are now a routine occurrence?

I seem to inhabit two parallel realities these days- one in which the world has more or less 'recovered' and another in which virtually every extreme measure that was taken to 'save the system' is either still in place or is on standby to be reinitiated at a moments notice. We have more debt in the system than before the crash- the 'Too Big to Fail' banks are even bigger and the promised 'regulation' of these institutions has been castrated by wall street bankers.

So have we all gone mad or what? :wacko:

That "news" is from an IFS report, timed for the election no doubt. How does it square with this?

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/ashe/annual-survey-of-hours-and-earnings/2014-provisional-results/stb-ashe-statistical-bulletin-2014.html

• In April 2014 median gross weekly earnings for full-time employees were £518, up 0.1% from £517 in 2013. This is the smallest annual growth since 1997, the first year for which ASHE data are available. Growth has been slower since the economic downturn, with the annual increase averaging around 1.4% per year between 2009 and 2014.
  • Adjusted for inflation, weekly earnings decreased by 1.6% compared to 2013. The largest decrease was between 2010 and 2011, but inflation-adjusted earnings have continued to decrease every year since 2008, to levels last seen in the early 2000s.
  • For the year ending 5 April 2014 median gross annual earnings for full-time employees (who had been in the same job for at least 12 months) were £27,200, an increase of 0.7% from the previous year.
  • The gender pay gap has narrowed, to 9.4% compared with 10.0% in 2013. This is the lowest since records began in 1997, and despite a relatively large increase between 2012 and 2013, there is an overall downward trend, from 17.4% in 1997.
  • In April 2014 the bottom 10% of full-time employees earned less than £288 per week. At the other end of the distribution, the top 10% of full-time employees earned more than £1,024. Since 1997, earnings at the 90th percentile have remained consistently at around 3.5 times earnings at the 10th percentile.
  • Median gross weekly earnings for full-time employees increased by 1.0% in the public sector, and by 0.7% in the private sector. The gap has closed slightly over the long term, but private sector earnings have remained consistently at around 85% of public sector earnings since 2009.
Edited by crashtimus prime

There's this old soviet sci fi movie called Solaris-( they remade it recently I think) The plot is that the crew of a space station orbiting around an alien planet have gone mad and the hero is sent to investigate. He discovers that the planet is messing with their minds causing them to hallucinate and go crazy.

But the image from this film that has always stuck in my mind is the final shot- we see the hero back home on earth having apparently escaped the space station without losing his mind- he stands on the veranda of his house chatting to someone as the camera slowly pulls back to reveal that the house and it's surroundings are on a tiny island in a foaming red ocean- and at that moment we realize that he never did escape the alien planet at all- and the 'normality' he thinks he has returned to is in fact an Illusion.

This is the image that came to mind this morning when I turned on the radio to learn that the 'recovery' has finally arrived, with living standards having returned to their pre crash levels- all back to normal then?

But as the camera pulls back on this happy scene we see interest rates at 300 year lows, we see the ECB about to launch QE, we see levels of debt in almost every major country at unprecedented levels and we see Central Bankers everywhere desperately trying to trash their national currencies in an effort to stave off deflation.

So what is real and what is hallucination? Is it even sane to talk of a 'return to normal' when the basic machinery of the global economic system is so fragile that massive distortions in that system via Central Banks are now a routine occurrence?

I seem to inhabit two parallel realities these days- one in which the world has more or less 'recovered' and another in which virtually every extreme measure that was taken to 'save the system' is either still in place or is on standby to be reinitiated at a moments notice. We have more debt in the system than before the crash- the 'Too Big to Fail' banks are even bigger and the promised 'regulation' of these institutions has been castrated by wall street bankers.

Seen it and it is a top film!!!

Once upon a time, looking up at the stars and perhaps under the influence of a herbaceous perennial, I remarked to friends that it's all so humbling. The response, even similarly influenced, was one of not liking to think like that - not good to assume any individual humility. Whose perspective and reality is real?

Once upon a time, looking up at the stars and perhaps under the influence of a herbaceous perennial, I remarked to friends that it's all so humbling. The response, even similarly influenced, was one of not liking to think like that - not good to assume any individual humility. Whose perspective and reality is real?

Amen brother, there are 10x more stars than all the grains of sand on every beach and desert in the world. It seems improbable that there is not intelligent life out there.

I wonder if they worry as much as we do about the economy and house prices...that keeps the paper shuffling job in perspective.

The film gets a mention in Adam Curtis' : Bitter Lake, a disturbing but essential watch

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the OP :)

I stumbled across Solyaris after watching the Soderbergh 2002 version. Both are great films imho. The 2002 version is very chilled out in some parts.

I recently watched bitter lake and was really surprised to see Solyaris mentioned, its not really a film you hear about very much. The book is also worth checking out, written in 1961! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_%28novel%29

Bitter lake is definitely worth watching.

Edited by Ted

Great post, and the last line reminds me of the saying "Men go mad in crowds but come to their senses individually" or something like that

Think it might even be someone's signature line but it's worth repeating!

Seen the film, and as someone else pointed out, it features in the recent Adam Curtis film where I believe it was used as a similar metaphor.

In this case "normality" is actually better described as maintenance of the status quo. The financial crisis put the status quo under threat. What if we didn't bail out the banks? The whole system could collapse and we could be left in chaos. In this narrative 'collapse' actually means that power could be removed from those who have spent their careers nurturing it for themselves, and 'chaos' is fear that a new ideology and narrative may arise that is unsympathetic to those who presided over the last one.

It's interesting to look at Greece in this context. It took 3 or 4 elections to purge the status quo maintaining cronies from office. A quadruple enema to clear out all the sh*t. They voted the cronies out, ended up with the more cronies, voted them out and almost ended up with fascism and eventually, when there were no more cronies or fascists to replace the existing cronies and fascists, ended up with a government that has new ideas about how the world could work.

Look at how different Varafakis is from Osborne. One is a manager - maintaining order, reassuring everyone that everything is going to be okay, don't rock the boat, we're getting back to normal, just keep on doing what you're doing (being competitive, flexible, and indebted) and we'll keep on doing what we're doing (being born into wealth and making sure it stays that way) - that's the natural order of things, anything else would be chaos (which is bad btw).

The other is a radical. Someone with a vision (you may not agree with it, but he has one). Someone who has an idea about how the economy of the world could be changed, is articulate about how and why it should change, and is not afraid to attempt to change it.

When you only have one ideology, you only have one "normal". This is it guys.

...I wonder if they worry as much as we do about the economy and house prices...that keeps the paper shuffling job in perspective.

No they don't. For some reason that moment has always stuck with me, and if I'm honest has played a part in moulding my views on society and personal finances - actually more individually rather than conceding to less. It's also possible I was over-thinking it then, and now.

You are expected to work all your life, long hours in a job most people f*cking hate surrounded by people who are in the same boat. You waste all your fittest best young years in this job which is usually pointless too. (I am convinced many jobs are invented just to keep us occupied) You do this job to buy stuff you don't need (sticks in a vase. balls on a plate or beads in a jar) and spend 25 years paying for a house to put all this stuff in. Your house is in a constant state of disintegration and requires lots of time effort and money just to maintain it. If you are ever able to retire by that point your old and broken and if you survive the odd heart attack or cancer you can spend the rest of your life in your house watching shit TV with the heating on full. Upon death your house is punted and the money given away and all your stuff goes to a charity shop or a skip.

In amongst this 2/3rds of your labors are stolen to pay for a system full of useless looters. You were enrolled into this before birth and its next to impossible to escape it.

I point this out to people around me who cripple themselves paying for cars/houses/shit that is way beyond what any normal human would need in order to compete with other humans who are in the same race of acquiring tat for which noone can give me a reason why they do it.

Whenever I bring any off this up to my contemporaries they think I am insane apart from a tiny handful of people who understand many of which end up on here.

This isn't a site about house prices this is a site for the clever few who have worked it all out and need a place to discuss the fact they are not insane.

Just to add, the "prison" you are kept in doesn't have walls but it does prey on fears. The only way you can sell humans into this cattle mentality is by careful manipulation of fears with the fear of death being the big obvious one but fear of hunger, homelessness, shame, failure all the usual ones to keep you going to that pointless job every single day.

Putting people into a lifetime of mortgage debt is all about selling fear just as pensions are also full of "what if" fears.

I don't know if this was by design ( i have read a lot of stuff to suggest it was) or its just a bunch of stuff that happened but I do admire the way it works.

Interestingly I seen a guy interviewed who claimed to know the illuminati agenda and he said "yes they expect some of us to work it but, but they will be so few in numbers they will be unable to affect anything" I always found that statement very interesting even although I orientate more towards the stupidity theory than any large conspiracy.

You are expected to work all your life, long hours in a job most people f*cking hate surrounded by people who are in the same boat. You waste all your fittest best young years in this job which is usually pointless too. (I am convinced many jobs are invented just to keep us occupied) You do this job to buy stuff you don't need (sticks in a vase. balls on a plate or beads in a jar) and spend 25 years paying for a house to put all this stuff in. Your house is in a constant state of disintegration and requires lots of time effort and money just to maintain it. If you are ever able to retire by that point your old and broken and if you survive the odd heart attack or cancer you can spend the rest of your life in your house watching shit TV with the heating on full. Upon death your house is punted and the money given away and all your stuff goes to a charity shop or a skip.

In amongst this 2/3rds of your labors are stolen to pay for a system full of useless looters. You were enrolled into this before birth and its next to impossible to escape it.

I point this out to people around me who cripple themselves paying for cars/houses/shit that is way beyond what any normal human would need in order to compete with other humans who are in the same race of acquiring tat for which noone can give me a reason why they do it.

Whenever I bring any off this up to my contemporaries they think I am insane apart from a tiny handful of people who understand many of which end up on here.

This isn't a site about house prices this is a site for the clever few who have worked it all out and need a place to discuss the fact they are not insane.

My post of the week.

I wish it was otherwise but this sums it up and its all rather scarey if you spend too much time focusing on it. I will now go back to my 'distractions'.

You are expected to work all your life, long hours in a job most people f*cking hate surrounded by people who are in the same boat. You waste all your fittest best young years in this job which is usually pointless too. (I am convinced many jobs are invented just to keep us occupied)

f4d6d1b34eee1bf8e652494ab4de8112.jpg

There's this old soviet sci fi movie called Solaris.......

Watch Bitter Lake on the BBC iplayer here. I think it will strike a chord with you.

It too uses Solaris as a metaphor for the current state of real world vs. media narrative that is becoming ever increasingly disjointed.

Edit: should of read the rest of the thread first!

Edited by bankstersparadise

Amen brother, there are 10x more stars than all the grains of sand on every beach and desert in the world. It seems improbable that there is not intelligent life out there.

I wonder if they worry as much as we do about the economy and house prices...that keeps the paper shuffling job in perspective.

Theyre probably only up to 2006 and have no idea whats just around the corner.

It's been proven that bad financial news in the MSM causes people to reign their spending in, so it can't really be a surprise that we're continually being fed the good news?

People believe what newspapers tell them.

Its really really weird.

Seen the film, and as someone else pointed out, it features in the recent Adam Curtis film where I believe it was used as a similar metaphor.

In this case "normality" is actually better described as maintenance of the status quo. The financial crisis put the status quo under threat. What if we didn't bail out the banks? The whole system could collapse and we could be left in chaos. In this narrative 'collapse' actually means that power could be removed from those who have spent their careers nurturing it for themselves, and 'chaos' is fear that a new ideology and narrative may arise that is unsympathetic to those who presided over the last one.

It's interesting to look at Greece in this context. It took 3 or 4 elections to purge the status quo maintaining cronies from office. A quadruple enema to clear out all the sh*t. They voted the cronies out, ended up with the more cronies, voted them out and almost ended up with fascism and eventually, when there were no more cronies or fascists to replace the existing cronies and fascists, ended up with a government that has new ideas about how the world could work.

Look at how different Varafakis is from Osborne. One is a manager - maintaining order, reassuring everyone that everything is going to be okay, don't rock the boat, we're getting back to normal, just keep on doing what you're doing (being competitive, flexible, and indebted) and we'll keep on doing what we're doing (being born into wealth and making sure it stays that way) - that's the natural order of things, anything else would be chaos (which is bad btw).

The other is a radical. Someone with a vision (you may not agree with it, but he has one). Someone who has an idea about how the economy of the world could be changed, is articulate about how and why it should change, and is not afraid to attempt to change it.

When you only have one ideology, you only have one "normal". This is it guys.

Top post!

People believe what newspapers tell them. Its really really weird.

Not really. Those people spent most of the first twenty years of their lives locked in a room and forced to regurgitate whatever claptrap the 'teacher' told them as though it was the truth, and were punished if they didn't. That kind of brainwashing takes many years to recover from, if you ever manage to escape it.

As to the original post, there'll never be 'normality' again. The industrial era is ending, and big governments that can impose 'normality' on the rest of us will go with it.

Edited by MarkG

As to the original post, there'll never be 'normality' again.

This statement is worthy of its topic. There could be some interesting discussions.

Good post and reflects the way I used to feel when in the UK.

However please do not lose sight of the fact that compared to most of the worlds population we in the west are all stinking rich and lead fairly easy lives.

Be careful what you wish for because it is my belief that we will get it fairly soon.