House Price Crash Forum

Is There A Good Reason To Vote Conservative?

Trampa501

HOLA441

We already knew this, but their latest scheme to offer 20% off new properties to under 40s (never mind that prices are 60 % higher than they should be), means they are determined to keep feeding the housing bubble and meanwhile trash the real economy.

What reason could there be to still vote Conservative?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

We already knew this, but their latest scheme to offer 20% off new properties to under 40s (never mind that prices are 60 % higher than they should be), means they are determined to keep feeding the housing bubble and meanwhile trash the real economy.

What reason could there be to still vote Conservative?

Temporary insanity?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Although I do consider my self left-leaning and would never vote Conservative, I did have some hope that as the party of the free-market (allegedly) they might just have let the market do its thing - which is was quite happily, actually, at around the time of the election; prices were falling but not crashing, and we might have been somewhere a bit more sensible by now if they hadn't introduced IMO the single most fiscally irresponsible policy in a generation, HTB.

It is perfectly clear now that housing, or more accurately the maintaining the price of houses (none of them give a crap about housing, per se) is a core policy of all the parties except perhaps the Greens, and I think Labour are likely to do some equally stupid things if they get back into office.

Not a single party dares make the observation that the single biggest help to first time buyers (and, indeed, any other buyer not on their final rung) would be lower house prices. Every single measure to address "affordability" is geared around letting young people borrow more money. It's absolutely nuts, as we all know, and the longer it goes on the worse it will end.

My ideas would be relatively simple, and the Greens have put forward a few of them - although that won't make any difference.

• End HTB
  • End RTB - this was bad at 30% discount, but the tories are now talking about 100% discounts after the election.
  • Let councils borrow money to build housing (with very high target numbers), using and re-purposing existing land and override local planning objections as required.
  • Move private housing benefit claimants into the newly built housing.
  • Strengthen tenancy rights significantly, including the provision that you cannot evict a tenant who is up to date on payments unless you are selling the house (some sort of minimum gap before next tenant if house fails to sell). Also not rent controls, but a limit to rent increases tied to some index (i.e. initial rent can be set by the market).

That would probably be enough, given a little time. I doubt we'll see any of it.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I guess if you are in the 65+ cohort, control two thirds of UK wealth and triple locks/ IHT free legacies are still seen as sacrosanct then I guess voting Tory makes sense.

To those that have more will be given.

+1

HOLA4415

If you'd like to continue tinkering away at the edge of the system making minor changes and reacting to the latest crisis by either throwing money at it (whether you have the money or not) or presenting the statistics in a way that makes it sound not so bad until at least after the next election, then by all means vote Conservative. You could also vote Labour. They do just as good a job.

If you're lucky enough to have an independent candidate who isn't affiliated with these serial liars then that may be a viable alternative. You could also take a chance on some of the more fruity parties as they haven't had their mettle tested yet.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

as someone who is 41 who as just brought a house the 20% of if you under 40 and first time means i will go out of my way not to vote for them

Got to say it does seem a bit all or nothing as a policy. Those the wrong side of the line have every reason to feel aggrieved.

HOLA4420

UK living standards lag 2010 levels as election nears

Living standards for people in the middle of the income distribution were 2 percent lower than before the last election and that the poor had been hit hardest by the efforts to cut borrowing.

* IFS says UK living standards have declined since 2010

* Living standards in close focus before May 7 election

* No one party to blame for lower living standards - IFS

* Osborne: UK in "fundamentally better position" than 2010

* Under-30s have seen sharpest decline in living standards

But in better news for Cameron, living standards were about the same as in 2007, before the financial crisis, the IFS said. Finance minister George Osborne said: "Britain is fundamentally in a better position than it was five years ago."

Edited by rollover

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Is There A Good Reason To Vote Conservative?

There you are, corrected it for you.

All you are doing is voting for their jobs....not voting for anything that any of them would do to make any difference to your life or quality of life....so vote for the party you think are the most honest, open, trustworthy and accountable..... ;)

HOLA4425

There are many good reason to vote Conservative. Balls and Harman, to name a couple of the most obvious.

Likewise, there are very good reasons to vote Labour. Topped by the likes of Osborne and Pickles.

Damn. :ph34r:

Beat me to it. Although the benefit cap is a good reason - I still wouldn't though.