House Price Crash Forum

Hardcore Video Gaming

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Over 10 years ago I used to play an online-game and got a little bit obsessed with it (a way of avoiding problems in real life I think).

At the time the game was short of land to build your digital house on so the company announced an expansion that would increase the land amount. They gave the date it would go live but not the time.

Because the update was delayed I spent 36 hours online waiting for the new land, the land popped into existence and I managed to claim one of the largest building plots before anyone else did.

In-game I had a crowd of over twenty people around me who started offering me real life money for it - I think bidding started at $1,000 and went up to $3,000. (For a digital house!)

I still turned the offers down and I remember having quite severe pains in my legs.

Looking back it was crazy and a waste of life. Sadly, even then, It was quite common for people to spend 12 – 24 hours playing the game.

HOLA447

Over 10 years ago I used to play an online-game and got a little bit obsessed with it (a way of avoiding problems in real life I think).

At the time the game was short of land to build your digital house on so the company announced an expansion that would increase the land amount. They gave the date it would go live but not the time.

Because the update was delayed I spent 36 hours online waiting for the new land, the land popped into existence and I managed to claim one of the largest building plots before anyone else did.

In-game I had a crowd of over twenty people around me who started offering me real life money for it - I think bidding started at $1,000 and went up to $3,000. (For a digital house!)

I still turned the offers down and I remember having quite severe pains in my legs.

Looking back it was crazy and a waste of life. Sadly, even then, It was quite common for people to spend 12 – 24 hours playing the game.

you clearly had this guy beat though.

Still both of these dwarf my seven hour beer curry call of duty Co op sessions with my mate.

I think we managed 7 hours once.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Well done for getting through and past that; as the OP shows some people never get out out.

HOLA4410

Well done for getting through and past that; as the OP shows some people never get out out.

"eXistenZe"! See the film! Is this this the end of the game? I think it out-matrixed the "Matrix"? About 1999! One of my favourites! :blink:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Death to Allegra Geller.

I'm glad you have seen it, because so many did not! I work for "Corticle Systems! now! -_-

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

In the early versions of Call of Duty - when you played at WW2 - I spent many, many hours as a sniper crawling slowly to the best sniping positions so that I would be unseen... and then would spend hours sitting in a bush waiting for someone to snipe at... but taking extra care not to draw attention to myself... and staying motionless sometimes when the enemy were looking for me just inches from my lair...

HOLA4415

Addictoin, for men.

In the game I played I reckon it was 30% female.

What commonly happened was that the boyfriend started to spend long hours playing the game, and the girlfriend desperate for attention joined the game and they started to talk to each other through the game instead of face-to-face. Such a relationship rarely lasted but unfortunately if you spend most of your free hours in-game it's likely you'll lose your real-life friends.

Thank you.

I think I've replaced it with an obession for HPC - which of course is much healthier! :unsure:

"eXistenZe"! See the film! Is this this the end of the game? I think it out-matrixed the "Matrix"? About 1999! One of my favourites! :blink:

Been a long time since I watched it but I recall it being a good film, if a bit weird?

HOLA4416

I'm betting a fair few people will be reading this thinking "You need to get out more", "None of it is real", and other derogatory things.

Whereas I'm reading it genuinely thinking that I'm missing out and I need to get into these experiences.

We bought a Gamecube (I think - was years ago) just to play Pikmin and sat up through the night with that once. Totally engrossing and fantastic escapism. The sheer creativity of the creators of these games is a thing to behold.

HOLA4417

One friend died from a blood clot from. Gaming for too long. He was quite obese too and in his twenties. Another friend collapsed and had a fit after being awake for 36 hours gaming Mud. If we hadn't been there he might have choked etc etc.

I love gaming. Very addictive.

HOLA4418

I'm betting a fair few people will be reading this thinking "You need to get out more", "None of it is real", and other derogatory things.Whereas I'm reading it genuinely thinking that I'm missing out and I need to get into these experiences.We bought a Gamecube (I think - was years ago) just to play Pikmin and sat up through the night with that once. Totally engrossing and fantastic escapism. The sheer creativity of the creators of these games is a thing to behold.

gaming is great. Beats watching TV or sitting in a bar drinking. Like anything though if done to excess is not great.

If you haven't played in a long time then there is an enormous back catalog available on X box psi and as cheap as chips.

creativity wise there is a bit of a block on at the moment moving things forward. I guess it will take vroom headsets to start a new era of innovation.

HOLA4419

I'm betting a fair few people will be reading this thinking "You need to get out more", "None of it is real", and other derogatory things.

Whereas I'm reading it genuinely thinking that I'm missing out and I need to get into these experiences.

We bought a Gamecube (I think - was years ago) just to play Pikmin and sat up through the night with that once. Totally engrossing and fantastic escapism. The sheer creativity of the creators of these games is a thing to behold.

That's an outdated concept when it comes to games these days, I'd go as far to say that gamers probably have as much if not more social interaction with other people than your average teenager. Pretty much any games these days will be exclusively online, with other people.

Although having said that the average games is in their 30's

gaming is great. Beats watching TV or sitting in a bar drinking. Like anything though if done to excess is not great.

If you haven't played in a long time then there is an enormous back catalog available on X box psi and as cheap as chips.

creativity wise there is a bit of a block on at the moment moving things forward. I guess it will take vroom headsets to start a new era of innovation.

Had that exact discussion with my boss this morning, although personally I don't think VR headsets will make a great deal of difference. There is very little innovation in the larger scale games, as with films they are now so expensive to make you don't take risks and do something too radical.

I'm currently addicted to Destiny, and I do mean addicted. They have an week long event every month or so which requires a lot of time to rank up to the max level, luckily it timed right that last time my girlfriend was away that weekend, I played pretty much solidly for the 3 days of that weekend.

It's no less (and IMO more) valid an activity than reading a book, watching a film or watching TV.

HOLA4420

Interesting views here on how 'worthwhile' gaming is as a hobby.

I'm 31, and up until the age of about 18 I was hugely into gaming. Loved PC gaming in the 90's/early millennium, was a massive fan of Goldeneye on the N64.

But then I kind of fell out of love with gaming a bit. I don't know whether it was because of being depressed or something, but there was a little voice in my head telling me 'none of this is real, this is a complete waste of your time, get a life'.

Rationally I can tell myself how is gaming less valid than sitting listening to music, or watching something on Netflix. I think part of the issue is that the people who I know who have been keen gamers in recent years have been the types to let themselves go in other areas of their lives, i.e. morbidly obese, poor hygiene, no drive to do anything in the 'real' world.

Another thing is that games nowadays seem to require massive amounts of time. I think I preferred the old days of gaming where you and a few mates could sit in the same room and have a few rounds of Mario Kart of Bomberman on the SNES, rather than everyone sitting on their own for hours communicating over t'interweb.

HOLA4421

IMHO the problem with gaming is similar to the problem with alcohol.

Both are absolutely fine in moderation but if you let them take over great swathes of your life then they will severely restrict what else you can do and damage your relationships, career and your life in general.

HOLA4422

IMHO the problem with gaming is similar to the problem with alcohol.

Both are absolutely fine in moderation but if you let them take over great swathes of your life then they will severely restrict what else you can do and damage your relationships, career and your life in general.

It's about alternate reality. This can be achieved through many different means. Drugs, games.

Problem is if you are unhappy/dysfunctional in actual reality, the alternate reality where you can be everything you want to be but can't in the real world becomes more and more seductive. As you spend time in the alternate reality, this becomes the place where you want your life to be defined and acted out. The actual reality matters less and less to the person involved.

Unfortunately/fortunately we are not yet at a point where we can isolate ourselves completely from the real world. And thus the interaction between someone who craves the alternative reality and the rest of the world who are "normal?" becomes increasingly problematic as they become more and more part of the alternate envrionment and lack interest/motivation in the real world.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Nope. You're still in the game. piN woRld. capital N, capital R.

I'm glad you have seen it. I recently got it on BluRay.

Archived