House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northerner

Weasel Photographed Riding On A Woodpecker's Back

That's just typical of your Weasel - my Ferrets better not get any ideas ...

_81363695_woodpeckerweasel.jpg

Martin Le-May caught the moment when the woodpecker took flight with a weasel on its back

Amateur photographer Martin Le-May, from Essex, has recorded the extraordinary image of a weasel riding on the back of a green woodpecker as it flies through the air. The photograph was taken at Hornchurch Country Park in east London on Monday afternoon.

Speaking to BBC News, Mr Le-May said he had managed to capture the moment while he was out walking with his wife Ann. He said: "I heard a distressed squawking noise and feared the worst. I soon realised it was a woodpecker with some kind of small mammal on its back. I think we may have distracted the weasel as when the woodpecker landed it managed to escape and the weasel ran into the grass."

Mr Le-May said he was astounded by the reaction to the picture on social media. The wildlife shot has been retweeted several thousand times. He said; "I'm so proud so many people are getting to see my image. I'm totally taken aback by the response to it."

'Ferocious as a lion'

Wildlife expert Lucy Cooke told the BBC News Channel: "This is a truly extraordinary image. "The green woodpecker is a ground-feeding bird, but weasels normally attack rabbits. The woodpecker is not its usual prey. But weasels are fearless. A female weasel weighs less than a Mars Bar but is as ferocious as a lion, so this is why the woodpecker would have been able to take off with it on its back."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31711446

Anyone know the difference between a stoat and a weasel?

A weasel is weasely recognised, but a stoat is stoatally different....

I'll get me coat..

Yes, I just see it now, set in a pub eves some where in Dorset......c2025.

(Greenwood pecker)...."you`ll never believe what happened to me ten years ago...................."

(woodpeckers mates).....yeah...riiiight..

That photo is extraordinary.

The green woodpecker is one of my favourite birds - we so rarely see them.

I can actually hear one outside at the moment, but catching sight of them is quite rare here.

About level with sightings of weasels, the last one I saw was running across the top of the shed and that was three years ago.

That photo is extraordinary.

The green woodpecker is one of my favourite birds - we so rarely see them.

I can actually hear one outside at the moment, but catching sight of them is quite rare here.

About level with sightings of weasels, the last one I saw was running across the top of the shed and that was three years ago.

Used to see them all the time when I lived on the edge of London.

I suspected Putin would be mixed up in this. We need more sanctions to oppose this sort of Woodpecker/Weasel abuse. The picture below was taken from a Typhoon fighter, near British airspace. The Russians need to be stopped:

97c249ab-335d-463d-85a4-c40fb80eedef-460

Ferrets?

A woodpecker couldn't take off with a ferret on board. Overload situation.

The ferret would need to hijack a buzzard or a herring gull.

A good ferret has got the bottle to do it, believe you me...

Because woodpeckers are very uniform in size.

But so are weasels. Under EU law, outsize and undersize weasels are weeded out and dumped in landfill, and bent or oddly shaped ones are sent to India.

The British Weasel must remain the British size and be subject to British standards only.

All foreign weasels should be stopped at the borders and deported.

The British Weasel must remain the British size and be subject to British standards only.

All foreign weasels should be stopped at the borders and deported.

Who's up for a British Weasel Day?