House Price Crash Forum
Teabag_Terry

Bath - Advice Please

Hi. We are a professional couple, have been looking for a few years now. Our budget is 250-260k, obviously want to avoid some of the more deprived areas like Foxhill and Twerton.

I came across this today for £210k:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35197449?search_identifier=14fe4b2502a08674c22ce8c5672402a0#D27LDecmhS3BxIUg.97

It looks pretty small but has parking and the payments woud leave us plenty of spare cash (I have a decent deposit).

Wow, it's depressing how little house you get for over 200K in some places

Those bedrooms don't even have enough space for two people to get out of their own side of the bed. Surprised they can even be classed as a double bedroom.

The world had gone nuts.

Funny money from London coming into Bath at the moment.

I know Bath is lovely, but couldn't you settle somewhere local, but a little less touristy for the time being? You'd get loads more for your money.

And if you're considering http://www.zoopla.co...DecmhS3BxIUg.97 , it's not really the Bath experience is it?. You may as well be in Chippenham or Trowbridge.

Edited by Eddie_George

I'd agree with Eddie George, unless you absolutely need to be in Bath, then the price premium for not particularly amazing property isn't worth it IMHO.

I'd look at places with a small commute by train - or do what a lot of my mates have done and move to Frome.

We moved to Bristol and don't regret it for a moment, much better value, much more going on, many more firms to work for and many more interesting people. Also a lot of young professionals moving in and sprogging, so school standards are going up.

Perhaps it's because I grew up there, but I find Bath incredibly dull and unfriendly - the London money is turning it into a suburb for the boringly wealthy, and it is now the destination of choice for aspiring brummies wearing barbour jackets and driving range rover vogues.

Whatever you do, it might be worth waiting till the year after the election and see how the land lies then.

Hi. We are a professional couple, have been looking for a few years now. Our budget is 250-260k, obviously want to avoid some of the more deprived areas like Foxhill and Twerton.

I came across this today for £210k:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35197449?search_identifier=14fe4b2502a08674c22ce8c5672402a0#D27LDecmhS3BxIUg.97

It looks pretty small but has parking and the payments woud leave us plenty of spare cash (I have a decent deposit).

I doubt anyone would ask what you do for a living, you do give a little away when you state your budget is 250-260k though.

Are you aware of a thing called Stamp duty?