House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chronyx

Welly Boot Recommendations!

I know there some allotment types on here, and my hardly used but quite old ones sprung a leak today.

Googling reveals Hunter to be a pricey brand, but is that just paying for the name?

No the Hunters are pretty good! I would recommend hopping about on one leg for a bit, so you only need one at a time, to make them last twice as long!

There is a noticeable difference. Your own mileage may vary as to whether it's worth the extra. I've got a pair of 'Redbands' from NZ where gumboots are cult-like objects. I just checked and they're not available here, which is a shame.

On the lottie I usually go for half/calf-length Dunlops as 'beaters' coming in at about a tenner. Something more expensive left on site would possibly go for a walk without me, plus if you're doing a lot of spade/ fork work the sole takes a hammering.

Thanks all! These are just for walking and site work when it's crap outside, good point about keeping a pair of cheap ones for digging

I know there some allotment types on here, and my hardly used but quite old ones sprung a leak today.

Googling reveals Hunter to be a pricey brand, but is that just paying for the name?

There are a brand called Buckler boots out there I have heard great things about. Brit brand, chea,p not gone fashionable yet. Bit like muck boots with neoprene bits.

I had to get a pair of hunters, no option in a hurry, and in fairness they are comfortable and seem not bad, despite knowing their glastonbury repu and really not wanting to buy them. touch saucy on the wallet though. Had to cover up the name at the front with a permanent marker, out of some concern for what people might think of me.

I have had a pair of Hunters for well over 10 years. Fantastic in mud and cold conditions - v thick, non slippy soles. Wear them a lot all winter.

Thanks all! These are just for walking and site work when it's crap outside, good point about keeping a pair of cheap ones for digging

I think the Bucklers have proper walking soles as well, so Ive been told

Gone with TMT's idea, they look spot on!

I am so pleased.

I was just thinkin how I would have to hunt you down to your allotment and lurk there... waiting for you to go so I could have a wee on your carrots.

Are there any that offer any type of support especially to the arch?

It wanted some for dog walking instead of my ankle Jules but I feel like I'm just flopping about in most of them including Hunters.

Are there any that offer any type of support especially to the arch?

It wanted some for dog walking instead of my ankle Jules but I feel like I'm just flopping about in most of them including Hunters.

Have a look at the above Mountain Warehouse link that I posted.

I am so pleased.

I was just thinkin how I would have to hunt you down to your allotment and lurk there... waiting for you to go so I could have a wee on your carrots.

If I had an allotment I'm sure I would welcome the free fertiliser :D

Hunters are a pile of Cr4p. AVOID.

They used to be fantastic. I used them for mucking out, jumping on the horse and exercising it (safest wellies for a stirrup). A good all-around yard welly that would last 24 months of hard use for at least an hour a day + winter walks at weekends.

They moved production to China and changed the compound, and they now perish very fast. The last 3 pairs I had lasted about 9 months each. Essentially, they became a fashion item. Look at the number of 'styles' they now make.

I now wouldn't touch Hunters with a broom handle - lots of friends think similarly. Simply not worth the ridiculous price.

Suggest you take look at Jack Pyke as a brand for 'country-wear'.

If I had an allotment I'm sure I would welcome the free fertiliser :D

I like to go out in my garden of a warm night... when the sky is cloudless... and have a wee whilst looking up at the majesty of the Cosmos. Interestingly enough, the little patch of grass that I made my own began to grow much greener, richer and faster than the surrouding grass.

I now spray it around... sometimes... depends how I am feeling.

I recommend it for all Men. It is empowering and puts you in touch with the Universe.

Have a look at the above Mountain Warehouse link that I posted.

I'm getting a 404 error.

Gone with TMT's idea, they look spot on!

They only go up to a size 12! :blink:

I got a pair of Hunters from about 30 years ago which are still in brill condition. However, I bought my actual shoe size and so they are really a size too small... or my feet have got bigger... or both...

Suggest you take look at Jack Pyke as a brand for 'country-wear'.

Looks interesting.. Thanks!

(I'm in the market for some walking boots.. They might be worth a look)

I had no idea wellies were so ******ing expensive.

I don't think I've ever spent more than £65 on a pair of shoes/boots let alone on bloody wellies.