House Price Crash Forum

M&s Ban The Word "christ"

mikthe20

HOLA441

Just tested this having seen it in the paper. If you try to put the word "Christ" in a gift message when ordering flowers, it is blocked. Works for others such as "Allah", "Hitler" though of course. They've had a chance to respond to the press and still haven't changed it (apparently they'll permit it on a customer-by-customer basus). It's not the religious aspect that bothers me, it's the sheer PC bias.

I presume they won't be running any C*****mas campaigns this year.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Just tested this having seen it in the paper. If you try to put the word "Christ" in a gift message when ordering flowers, it is blocked. Works for others such as "Allah", "Hitler" though of course. They've had a chance to respond to the press and still haven't changed it (apparently they'll permit it on a customer-by-customer basus). It's not the religious aspect that bothers me, it's the sheer PC bias.

I presume they won't be running any C*****mas campaigns this year.

quite rude censoring names of the prophet isn't it(I'm referring to jesus,not mohammed)

we're not quite in the same league as cutting off opposite hands and feet of people that disagree any more..we did that bit 600 years ago, but you have to give jesus a bit of credit where it's due..he predicted this sort of stuff was going to happen, and his track record is pretty good.

he told the pharisees to their faces jerusalem was toast 40 years before the event(he even specified the timeframe), and the religeous orders of the day killed him for it.

whether they like it or not the pharasitical priesthoods are about to see history repeat, and THEY will be to blame(again).

we are transitioning from the age of the fisherman to the age of the hunter(fully backed up by old testament which god said he would do)

..and it will be the supposed priests of the fisherman primarily responsible for distorting scripture for their own power trip...which the hunter will come to rebuke...and they will not listen.

as jesus said, keep an eye on the bloke who does symbolism by the bucketload,and do what he says.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

We need some militant Christians. I was reading in the Torygraph today about how Christians in Iraq are having to change their attitudes in order.... we, to stay alive.

Bring back the crusades.

We need some militant Christians. I was reading in the Torygraph today about how Christians in Iraq are having to change their attitudes in order.... we, to stay alive.

Bring back the crusades.

It was said that the only thing we got from the crusades, and managed to keep, was leprosy :huh:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

It was said that the only thing we got from the crusades, and managed to keep, was leprosy :huh:

Nah, I've got this funny, dusty Grail thing my grandad gave me stored in the loft. My German friends won't visit me for some reason.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Given that the term Brother or Sisters In Christ is a fairly common way for Christians to sign off documents and communications to each other it a pretty stupid restriction but I suspect it is down to the dumb automatic abuse filter MS have purchased rather than any policy on their part . They probably dont sell many flowers in Scunthorpe either. Surprised this does not cause them problems at Christmas.M&S better hope the religious fundies in the US dont get to hear about this or the M&S web sites, mail servers etc are going to go down under a torrent of complaints.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I am just puzzled by the idea that M&S think customers might spend a small fortune ordering flowers on line and then decide to include an abusive message. Surely there are much cheaper ways of doing that sort of thing.

Nothing says it like flowers. Give her a triffid.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

This must be an over-enthusiastic 'swear word filter', surely.

Were it deliberate policy it would lead to a lot of bad PR and rightly so.

This was in the Sunday Times here: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Society/article1525516.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2015_02_28

The Times called M&S and their PR said they'd change it on a per-customer basis if customer called to complain! Why? They've had plenty of time to sort it. I've just tried it again and it's still the same - can't say "Christ". If it as the same for "Allah" there'd have been uproar and it would have been changed in seconds.

Or may they haven't changed it yet because the IT bods at M&S don't work the sabbath!

HOLA4421

This was in the Sunday Times here: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Society/article1525516.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2015_02_28

The Times called M&S and their PR said they'd change it on a per-customer basis if customer called to complain! Why? They've had plenty of time to sort it. I've just tried it again and it's still the same - can't say "Christ". If it as the same for "Allah" there'd have been uproar and it would have been changed in seconds.

Or may they haven't changed it yet because the IT bods at M&S don't work the sabbath!

Jewish sabbath is saturday, silly.

It's about profit. How much does the premium phone line to Customer Services cost? :unsure:

HOLA4422

The Daily Mail have picked up the story now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2974554/M-S-bans-customers-using-words-Christ-Jesus-Christ-messages-ordering-flowers-online-jihad-okay.html

I believe the Daily Mail web site has a fair few readers among the more conservative element of the US population so M&S are screwed now as the story will probably cause a fair few in the US Bible belt to go 'postal' on the issue. The outrage bus is now revving its engines and will be departing shortly with a full load of angry passengers. It will be a fun day in their IT and PR departments tomorrow as they go into damage limitation mode.

I still do not understand why M&S think people spending £25 plus on a bunch of flowers are going to then write an abusive note to go with it.

BTW I was interested to find the word jihad really means struggle rather than Holy War or Crusade. Unfortunately that means My Jihad roughly translates into Mein Kampf in German which is a bit of a worrying correlation.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Just about the time their clothes sales went into terminal decline1

Look I am not responsible for M&S underwear sales! I don't think they ever sold anything "stylish", apart from underwear!

Archived