House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Half A Million Canadians Have Bought Property In Florida

Not surprised, when so much of Canada has such orrible winters.

I have an aunt who used to come from Canada every April to stay with another aunt. You'd see her out in the garden with the daffs in just a short sleeved shirt when it was only about 13 or 14 deg - to her it was almost sub tropical after the sub zero + three feet of snow she'd left behind at home.

Yeah, some of my girlfriend's relatives go south for the winter, though they have an RV instead of a house. We've kind of thought of buying a cheap place in America, but could never really justify it.

Never understood the appeal when I lived in Canada.

Old people in gated communities surrounded by abject poverty in one of the most crime ridden states in America.

Driving or taking the bus from your trailer home to the bingo, passing the fireworks, liquor and gun shops that are so prevalent everywhere in the state.

Poisonous snakes and spiders, alligators, monster mosquitos, bed bugs, termites.

It's not even that warm in Florida from November to February.

I suppose back in the day it was good when the US government used to clean up and repair the state after hurricanes.

Now you have the toxic sea on the gulf of Mexico from Macondo.

Still don't see the appeal, but I guess it still has something special for the plastic yanks who covet the place and come every winter.

Edited by cashinmattress

Old people in gated communities surrounded by abject poverty in one of the most crime ridden states in America.

Driving or taking the bus from your trailer home to the bingo, passing the fireworks, liquor and gun shops that are so prevalent everywhere in the state.

Poisonous snakes and spiders, alligators, monster mosquitos, bed bugs, termites.

I suppose back in the day it was good when the US government used to clean up and repair the state after hurricanes.

Still don't see the appeal, but I guess it still has something special for the plastic yanks who covet the place and come every winter.

wow, I'm sold

All sorts of things can look good from minus 45!

Florida for the Canadians seems a bit like North Wales for Scousers, except they speak the same language. Oh, hang on.....

Old people in gated communities surrounded by abject poverty in one of the most crime ridden states in America

Not even that warm? Key West has daily MINIMUMS of 19 celsius in January. It's beach weather!

In Orlando in January the weather was above 20 celsius 22 days out of 31. Close to 30c on several days.

Florida has cheap housing, cheap food and cheap flights. It also has expensive insurance due to hurricane risk.

Not surprised, when so much of Canada has such orrible winters.

I have an aunt who used to come from Canada every April to stay with another aunt. You'd see her out in the garden with the daffs in just a short sleeved shirt when it was only about 13 or 14 deg - to her it was almost sub tropical after the sub zero + three feet of snow she'd left behind at home.

I live an hour north of Toronto, and it hasn't got above freezing since January 2nd, with daytime temps often in the minus teens and night time minus mid twenties, and that's without windchill. You do actually get used to it, and I will go outside for a few minutes in just my T-shirt when its -15 to get some wood and not feel a thing. I was in Seattle last week where it was about 10 degrees, and yes, it felt tropical. This has been a record breaking year though, and in all truth, I prefer it to the British winters. I go cross country skiiing, snow shoeing. I can walk across our lake, and if you dress for it, it is all very bright and beautiful.

Having said that, when I hit my sixties, I'm out of here and on to New Zealand...there is no way I'm shovelling 2.5m of snow a year and putting up with this cold when I am an OAP.

Florida is wonderful if you have money. South Florida (Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Palm Beach) is pretty much the only large metro area (+5 million) in the Western world (Europe/North America) with a tropical climate.

Of course if you don't have money, it is a dump, like pretty much everywhere in the US.

cashinmattress, you are pretty biased!

As for the Canadians, I suspect there are two issues:

1. The Canadian dollar has lost a lot of value to the US dollar in recent months due the oil price plunging.

2. The Real Estate bubble in Canada was contemporary to the collapse of RE market in South Florida. So back in 2011-12, you would sell a cardbox in Ontario or Alberta (oil state) and you would a mansion in South Florida (literally). Now things are reversing. Real estate prices are going down in Canada but they have increased in Florida.

If you add 1+2, it doesn't look pretty for Canadians investing in Florida.

Also, one thing that attracts many Canadians to South Florida is that is a very international part of the US.

Many of those Canadians are Quebecoises (French speakers). Nobody would blink an eye anywhere in South Florida if you speak French, because there are very large Spanish (Latinos) and French (Haitians) speaking communities; in fact English, French and Spanish are common use language in many public institutions. And of course, the massive influx of Latin American (Spanish and Portuguese) and European (basically any language; if you go to the beach in Miami or FLL you will hear British English, French, German, Italian, any Scandinavian language...) that makes Canadian feel comfortable in South Florida instead of more "red neck" areas in the US.

In some ways, the only more international and European place in the US is New York or maybe Boston. You can argue California is more international, but in a very Pacific way (Chinese, Korean, etc.). For a non-US, "European/Canadian" (Western), it is easy to feel at home in South Florida since you will cross British, French, Germans, Canadians, etc. in a daily basis. Now try that in a beach in Alabama or Georgia.

"Snow birds".

The main problem the Canadians have is health insurance. As they reach their twilight years the cost of health insurance for six months in Florida becomes prohibitive.

2-3K from what people have told me. It's actually not as much as I would have assumed given that full on US health insurance for an 80 year old without medicare eligibility would be 10 times that at least. I think the numbers are based on driving or flying you back to Canada as soon as possible - probably with the drip still in your arm.