House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Another Mumsnet Thread About London Property Bubble

From a pop up add on the above link ,might be of interest to a few on here http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_live_events/2319198-Joint-webchat-with-Conservative-and-Labour-housing-minister-and-shadow-housing-minister-MONDAY-2-MARCH-1pm

Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm (12 Posts)
Edited by long time lurking

We're pleased to announce something a bit different to shake up your Monday lunchtime: a joint simultaneous webchat with the Conservative Housing and Planning Minister Brandon Lewis, and the Labour Shadow Housing Minister Emma Reynolds. They’ll be joining us live for an hour on Monday March 2 at 1pm.

We know that lots of MNers are interested in housing issues, so here's your opportunity to quiz Brandon and Emma about house-building, the Green Belt, planning restrictions, new towns, private landlords, rent levels, sustainable building, social and affordable housing, and their long-term plans for making supply meet demand - and anything else that catches your eye. How do the Conservatives and the Labour party plan to build and fund housing for the next generation - and what do they want to do about short-term housing issues? Now's your chance to find out.

Brandon Lewis MP is Minister of State for Housing and Planning. He was elected as the Conservative MP for Great Yarmouth in May 2010.

Emma Reynolds MP was elected as the Labour MP for Wolverhampton North East in May 2010. She is the Shadow Housing Minister attending Shadow Cabinet.

Please join us on Monday at 1pm. As ever, if you can’t make it then, please do leave your questions on this thread in advance. And (also as ever) please remember our webchat guidelines.

Thanks

MNHQ

My bold/italics.

They seem to have forgotten about this generation - and apart from solving "short-term housing issues" how about solving the decades long housing issues.

Wow. What a refreshing change. All Mumsnetters aren't loonies then.

And the third poster on that thread goes by the name of the "duchess of c*ntbridge", and it's not even sensored (unlike the HPC forum's approach to moral rectitude).

Fair play to them, every question so far is about renting or crazy house prices!

My bold/italics.

They seem to have forgotten about this generation - and apart from solving "short-term housing issues" how about solving the decades long housing issues.

IMO they know the young are fecked and i`m beginning to think the main parties are seeing them as the main swing voters

Fair play to them, every question so far is about renting or crazy house prices!

Yes, the MNers clearly 'get' the issues and are asking sensible questions.

The MP`s know theres a massive problem concerning housing and the young they are on that site to pedal their wares just like a snake oil salesman would do just before the market opened,it`s strange how they get all concerned just before an election when these problems have been growing for the last ten years,anyone would think the tenagers of ten years ago ,the ones these MP`s did not care about are now holding a ballot card in their hands ...o wait they are.... Libdems and tuition fees come to mind

But yes they are sensible questions it`s just a pitty they are falling on deaf ears

Saturday morning rant over

Edited by long time lurking

Yes, but it will be interesting to see how they react to the '20% discount' bribe the Tories have lined up for the General election. 'Getting it' also requires understanding and reacting negatively to this kind of policy.

Maybe he'll give a "promise/guarantee" on the numbers of houses they would build each year if elected.

Maybe he'll give a good explanation why they've only built half the required number since they got into power and their plans for overcoming the obstacles they identify to building sufficient housing.

Some hope it'll be more than the usual glib answers.

Edited by billybong

My bold/italics.

They've been tackling short-term housing issues since at least 1945.

That's why we have a long-term housing problem.

Not far from here are quite a lot of post-war houses. They were designed as a short-term solution. But when they should've been knocked down and replaced in the 1970s, the country was bust and desperate. They're still in use.

And the third poster on that thread goes by the name of the "duchess of c*ntbridge", and it's not even sensored (unlike the HPC forum's approach to moral rectitude).

Maybe they go by the enlightened view that female genitalia is no more offensive than male genitalia, so **** should be considered no more offensive than dick.

It's weird how they are all very left wing about everything but when it comes to protecting their own vested interests (the value of their houses) suddenly they all become very capitalist.

It's weird how they are all very left wing about everything but when it comes to protecting their own vested interests (the value of their houses) suddenly they all become very capitalist.

I bought a house from a couple who were a social worker (dealing with abusers of children, apparently) and a leftie health worker. The most money grabbing, odious individuals I ever ran across in all my years.

Not weird at all really, when you think about it. Middle class hypocrites

I bought a house from a couple who were a social worker (dealing with abusers of children, apparently) and a leftie health worker. The most money grabbing, odious individuals I ever ran across in all my years.

Oh wait til you meet a professional foster parent.

They make social workers look like Saints.

Some really good questions there. I especially like this comment:

As a would-be-first-time-buyer, can I first categorically state that the very last thing first time buyers want are any more opportunities to borrow more money, any more support for the housing market presented as 'support for first time buyers'. In my area, the second 'Help to Buy' was introduced, prices in my area leapt by over 100K overnight, meaning that previously incredibly overpriced housing was now completely and utterly out of reach. I will not vote for any government that persists in spending tax payers' money to bolster a ridiculously overpriced housing market any further.

Of course there are still a few crazies!

I'm very worried about dropping house values. My mother's house was valued at £240,000 3 years ago but a neighbours house (same house) is currently up for sale at £177,000, a drop in value of over £60,000 in just 3 years.

What will you do about this if you win in May?

Would anyone known where these drops in prices are?

Sounds like the drops are inside that poster's head seeing as they are comparing an EA's valuation on one property with the asking price on another. Neither of those are a real price at which a transaction took place.

Guest Jemmy Button

The MP`s know theres a massive problem concerning housing and the young they are on that site to pedal their wares just like a snake oil salesman would do just before the market opened,it`s strange how they get all concerned just before an election when these problems have been growing for the last ten years,anyone would think the tenagers of ten years ago ,the ones these MP`s did not care about are now holding a ballot card in their hands ...o wait they are.... Libdems and tuition fees come to mind

But yes they are sensible questions it`s just a pitty they are falling on deaf ears

Saturday morning rant over

Most MP''s are probably BTL slumlords themselves.

The problem is it so ingrained into the psyche of these people that prices only go up.

At least they are recognize it's a bubble – the sooner this bloody thing crashes the better.

Some really good questions there. I especially like this comment:

Of course there are still a few crazies!

I'm very worried about dropping house values. My mother's house was valued at £240,000 3 years ago but a neighbours house (same house) is currently up for sale at £177,000, a drop in value of over £60,000 in just 3 years.

What will you do about this if you win in May?

Another one that can`t wait for their mother to die ..what a fcuked up country we live in