House Price Crash Forum

White And Gold Or Blue And Black?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Fair enough, but where you say that I'm "interpreting it as something that's supposed to be black", I would point out that I'm correctly interpreting it as something that's supposed to be black, so if my brain is "correcting" the image, at least it's doing so in the right direction : )

Although the same correction would probably lead you to say white instead of blue IMO... I don't really see many cues that say it's supposed to be black personally, whilst tinted white is far more common (hence white balance instead of black balance) so requires fewer cues, hence I understand the white and gold position better than the black and blue one.

Can you see this text? Is it blue, or a shade of white?

Since there's no context to put it in that would suggest anything else it appears light blue. Text of the same RGB value in an image may well be interpreted as white by a lot of people (depending upon what else is there). Measure the spectrum of light reflected off a white surface from a tungsten light bulb and it'll turn out to be fairly red, even though it will probably look white when you were just looking at it.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Although the same correction would probably lead you to say white instead of blue IMO... I don't really see many cues that say it's supposed to be black personally, whilst tinted white is far more common (hence white balance instead of black balance) so requires fewer cues, hence I understand the white and gold position better than the black and blue one.

Since there's no context to put it in that would suggest anything else it appears light blue. Text of the same RGB value in an image may well be interpreted as white by a lot of people (depending upon what else is there). Measure the spectrum of light reflected off a white surface from a tungsten light bulb and it'll turn out to be fairly red, even though it will probably look white when you were just looking at it.

precisely. any photographer looking at that would assume the WB was set wrong in the camera, probably to tungsten where it should have been fluorescent.

5.png

correcting for this gives us:

white_gold.jpg

closer to the original image than the blue/ black alternative

HOLA443

correcting for this gives us:

white_gold.jpg

closer to the original image than the blue/ black alternative

If you take whatever you did there another notch further I will also be fooled into thinking it's white and gold..

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

ok, but is this car driving upside down?

It's Mr M.C.Escher's car? I hope he is not running over geckos! <_<

HOLA448

Archived