House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Unexpected Discovery When You Viewed A Property

A few times now I have seen a property on Rightmove, and thought it looked ideal (apart from the price obviously!).

However, a quick drive past has revealed, for instance:

1. Psycho man opposite - standing in joggers and string vest, almost growling and staring intently at us.

2. House next door (other half of the semi) had 4 cars in drive and garden, covered in green algae

None of this was on street view.... and impossible to predict!

A few years ago; a nice four bed detached with detached garage. Looked very nice on the picture. Had a look on street view and was next door to a large Shell Petrol station with mini-market.

The agent had taken the photo exactly so the petrol station was a mm out of frame.

A few years ago; a nice four bed detached with detached garage. Looked very nice on the picture. Had a look on street view and was next door to a large Shell Petrol station with mini-market.

The agent had taken the photo exactly so the petrol station was a mm out of frame.

Pointless attempt at skulduggery by the EA... not like nobody would notice once they viewed it. At least with Streetview you have a better chance of being forewarned .. depending on how new the photos are.

Always worth taking a look at the outside and surrounding area before an internal viewing I think as there are a lot of things to consider as well as the interior. You can glean a lot from the outside as well as about the neighbourhood etc.

We were looking at a house once when a family of four walked straight through the back garden and through a gate.

Estate agent was a bit "elusive" but eventually admitted that the neighbours had a right of way across the back garden and that it was the only way into their property (it was a barn conversion). "Not to worry" she told us "they are very nice." We made our excuses and left.

I suspect the vendors planned to keep that "gem" hidden until some poor purchaser was knee deep in legals and survey fees.

We were looking at a house once when a family of four walked straight through the back garden and through a gate.

Estate agent was a bit "elusive" but eventually admitted that the neighbours had a right of way across the back garden and that it was the only way into their property (it was a barn conversion). "Not to worry" she told us "they are very nice." We made our excuses and left.

I suspect the vendors planned to keep that "gem" hidden until some poor purchaser was knee deep in legals and survey fees.

:lol:

I think I have shared this before but viewed a house where above the stairs was huge painting of the owners wife in the nude, legs akimbo. He made a point of proudly pointing it out. It was placed so you couldn't see it as you came up, so as you turned the top stair corner the minge hit you full in the face.

I didn't like the pointing, and didn't place an offer.

True story.

I think I have shared this before but viewed a house where above the stairs was huge painting of the owners wife in the nude, legs akimbo. He made a point of proudly pointing it out. It was placed so you couldn't see it as you came up, so as you turned the top stair corner the minge hit you full in the face.

I didn't like the pointing, and didn't place an offer.

True story.

Did you offer on his wife ?

A few times now I have seen a property on Rightmove, and thought it looked ideal (apart from the price obviously!).

However, a quick drive past has revealed, for instance:

1. Psycho man opposite - standing in joggers and string vest, almost growling and staring intently at us.

2. House next door (other half of the semi) had 4 cars in drive and garden, covered in green algae

None of this was on street view.... and impossible to predict!

Daughter viewed a house a couple of weeks ago that looked just right, even the price seemed low-ish.

Back garden of house next door was overgrown and full of old broken motorbikes and all sorts of other junk, looked like Steptoe's yard.

End of that one.

Daughter viewed a house a couple of weeks ago that looked just right, even the price seemed low-ish.

Back garden of house next door was overgrown and full of old broken motorbikes and all sorts of other junk, looked like Steptoe's yard.

End of that one.

i viewed a house in whyteleafe like that , rover p5 a moris miner and a 4x4 and jack hammer compressor rusting away in the garden , agent did say these would be cleared away if an offer was made , i said leave it all there the p5 as a shell was worth a few quid alone :lol:

The trouble with buying a house, there's a good chance you will end up with a problem of some sort, neighbours, state of repair etc.

It's better to rent, get some BTL mug to pay for it and move if you dont like the neighbours.

There was a house called 'Shell View' near one place I used to live.

Needless to say, it was across the road from the petrol station.

:lol:

1. Opposite a drug addict drop in centre.

2. Picturesque green fields behind a property were soon to be replace by a dual carriageway.

3. Place had been trashed by the last BTL tenants. Estate agent told us we'd have to offer asking price as they'd already rejected offers. Few months later it's being advertised for less money as a repo.

This discovery was not about the property exactly but it still made my day. While viewing a property noticed a couple of champagne flutes and an ice bucket with what looked like an empty champagne bottle on a coffee table. Estate agent lady was a bit puzzled, said something along the lines that they should have tidied up, the lady of the house new we were coming for a viewing. Anyway eventually went upstairs and opened the door to the master bedroom and there is this guy and a younger woman going at it on the bed.

We quickly all scuttled out of the house, the estate agent lady was apologising profusely and getting really upset and saying that was not his wife, I was trying to make jokes like "can we have another viewing" and "does she come with the house", my missus was giving me daggers and saying that is not funny, then the bloke strolls out cool as a cucumber as if nothing had happened offers to show us the house (wearing dressing gown and slippers).

Estate agent lady declines on our behalf saying we might come back for a viewing at a more appropriate time.

I giggled like a school boy all the way home.

Estate agent lady calls up to ask if we want another viewing, tells us apparently it was his secretary, I said let us know when they are selling the house after the divorce.

I've some interesting stories:

1. In my property uneducated days. Viewed a studio basement flat in boscome. I wondered why there was a humidfier in the room. I looked round the the walls were covered in mould and damp. We asked the agent is there a problem with damp - he said NO.

2. Viewed a reasonable flat, but when we walked past next door, a lady in a dressing gown/robes (this was at 3pm) in her forties was standing in the door way having a smoke. Her bare legs and skin was covered in scabs all over.

Viewed a bungalow with what looked like a builder's yard next door. turned out to be 'members of the travelling community' who had purchased the strip of land, parked up a couple of caravans and built a bungalow on it (sans planning permission) :huh:

The estate agent stated that it wouldn't bother many local buyers. I said it wouldn't bother me personally as i like living in ethnically diverse communities and find it culturally enriching, but i wouldn't be able to convince my other half :rolleyes:

2. Viewed a reasonable flat, but when we walked past next door, a lady in a dressing gown/robes (this was at 3pm) in her forties was standing in the door way having a smoke. Her bare legs and skin was covered in scabs all over.

How much was she?

Friends bought a semi in the 90's in a nice part of Stockport. After moving in,they checked the shed and there was a jacket on the back of a chair, and a coffee mug and opened newspaper(several years old) on the table. Embedded in the wooden wall there was a small telescope, pointed at the house. They did mention it to neighbours, but got a very frosty reception. The previous owners must have been a bit strange.

Property was advertised as a unique, charming cottage.

I thought it was EA language as the property pictured was a semi-detached modern Wimpy on a village outskirts.

But, on opening the front door you were transported back 500 years.

Ceilings had been lowered, door frames lowered, false beams installed.

Walls had been thickened to give 15-18" window seats with the result that rooms were much smaller.

the living room had a mock fireplace and hearth, complete with pots and pans.

There were no straight lines, ceilings and floors sloped.

It was all painted pink.