House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
numper

Which Is More Important To You?

Like the title says:

Which is more impotant to you?

Either "not" being greedy i.e. living modestly and appreciating the (mixed) *blessings" of existence ?

OR

Accumulating large amounts of material wealth? :ph34r:

Your thoughts please gentlemen:

Remember once the genie is out of the bottle it can be a damn hard job getting him in: again?

Similairly once Greed has been established as a *norm* it can be difficult to readjust ones perspective :rolleyes:

Like the title says:

Either "not" being greedy i.e. living modestly and appreciating the (mixed) *blessings" of existence ?

OR

Remember once the genie is out of the bottle it can be a damn hard job getting him in: again?

Similairly once Greed has been established as a *norm* it can be difficult to readjust ones perspective :rolleyes:

Accumulating wealth. But one way to do that-or help to do that-is to live modestly and not be greedy or profligate in your spending. Wealth is security. Automatically linking it to greed is a value judgmenent not necessarily appropriate or correct.

Wealth is security.

Tell that to Robert Maxwell. Or Mikhail Khodorkovsky. Real security is a sustainable lifestyle which does not necessitate a predatory and exhausting participation in the economic rat race that modern-day life has become. In the immortal words of Lily Tomlinson:

The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat.

money is the least important thing needed for happiness.

I live the Idler life, i work 3 and 3/4 day week and live on a modest income. I don't feel the need to surround myself with stuff and possesions. Most of my money goes into a savings account so one day i can buy my own place. I only want my own place so that i don't have to rely on anyone else, have it to my own tastes or worry about landlords

People work to hard trying to accumulate all the things they think are going to make them happy. Work less, accumulate less and enjoy life more!

Tell that to Robert Maxwell.

But didn't Maxwell owe vast billions, or am I thinking of some other famous 'rich' dead guy of recent years? You're not 'wealthy' if you're spending borrowed money.

This is an on-going argument between me and the missus. In recent years , ive seen the financial difficulties my mother is going through (80,000 mortgage, interest only, no means of remortgaging as low income, 10yrs left, being made redundant) as a result of bad decisions, and a few other things that I wont mention. I dont ever want to be in that situation, and I'd like to be able to help her out of it.

S Im trying my best to accumulate wealth, to play the system. Its not the be all and end all though. True friends, and family, are the most important things (oh, and health). I dont see the point in living a miserly existence if you cant enjoy yourself. IMHO you have to find a balance between mateirial well being, and spiritual well being (although the two can be interlinked). To what degree you attune the balance between these two aspects is of course entirely subjective.

bob monkhouse makes some good points there

firstly health is most important to me

secondly i would like to accumulate wealth, so long as it does not taint my family/friend relationships which i place a very high value on

I do not like the system but i recognize that i must play it to survive. therefore i have no beef with BTL landlords, EA's etc etc who are probably just trying to do same as me: provide for their families in these difficult and unstable times

I would also not hesitate to try and ride another property bubble should one occur after this crash

sad but true. gotta do what you gotta do.

Money doesn't make you happy, but lack of money can sure make you unhappy!

Personally, I found that once I earned more than about 25k USD, more money didn't make much difference, at 25K I could have roof over head/ transport/ hobbies/ holidays/ decent food etc, and nothing major was lacking. More money just means able to get better/ fancier versions of the basics.

This is an on-going argument between me and the missus. In recent years , ive seen the financial difficulties my mother is going through (80,000 mortgage, interest only, no means of remortgaging as low income, 10yrs left, being made redundant) as a result of bad decisions, and a few other things that I wont mention. I dont ever want to be in that situation, and I'd like to be able to help her out of it.

S Im trying my best to accumulate wealth, to play the system. Its not the be all and end all though. True friends, and family, are the most important things (oh, and health). I dont see the point in living a miserly existence if you cant enjoy yourself. IMHO you have to find a balance between mateirial well being, and spiritual well being (although the two can be interlinked). To what degree you attune the balance between these two aspects is of course entirely subjective.

It is always a good idea to create wealth.

Your circumstances may change in the future.

You may need to pay for an infirm relative.

This is not greed, just common sense.

If you don't need your wealth you can give it away before or after your death.

You can live frugally and still generate wealth, it is not a sign of greed on its own, a bit of a generalisation like saying all poor people are hippys or layabout losers.

As Eminem says "Money is what makes a man not funny"

B)

The happiest times of my life were spent in Africa with a rucksack on my back and without a penny to my name - but that's not real life. Real life involves putting a roof over your head, raising children, feeding your family, keeping yourself warm; all of which require financial wealth.

Money certainly 'aids' happiness - if I was living in poverty I'd find it hard to be cheerful, whereas if I won the lottery I'd be a very happy lass :)

Like the title says:

OR

Any particular reason why you have just asked the "gentlemen" for their thoughts?! Can I give my female opinion?!

I agree with a poster that talked about having balance- being wealthy isnt the be all & end all but it does help if the basics of life are taken care of as it gives you the peace of mind to focus on the spiritual!

There is a quote I once read saying something like "there is a certain spiritual peace that comes from having money in the bank"!

Not sure I agree but I can see the point!

:)

Any particular reason why you have just asked the "gentlemen" for their thoughts?! Can I give my female opinion?!

I agree with a poster that talked about having balance- being wealthy isnt the be all & end all but it does help if the basics of life are taken care of as it gives you the peace of mind to focus on the spiritual!

There is a quote I once read saying something like "there is a certain spiritual peace that comes from having money in the bank"!

Not sure I agree but I can see the point!

It could be he directed it at men because it refers to impotantcy?

Why then, is the U.S.A. often referred to as "the richest nation" on earth?

Usually by the same kind of people who think that Donald Trump and Robert Maxwell were rich.

Some good points.

I agree that the system is bad, but you have to play with the rules you have.

I'm very aware that this country produces a certain amount of wealth and that for every person who earns above average there has to be some who earn below average. That is unfortunately the game we have to play.

I earn more than double the average wage for the area I live in. So I grab more than my fair share, yes its greedy, but I do it so I can provide for myself and my family.... and I might need some of that money in years to come so I don't just squander it all.

Things don't make you happy, but money can give you options.

What a philosophical thread!

Health, friends and family are definitely most important, but having enough money can support all of the above.

I have a friend who is disabled, who would definitely have a much better quality of life if she could pay for healthcare rather than relying on the NHS. She's got loads of friends and family but that doesn't help with the long waiting lists...

If I had to choose happiness or wealth I'd choose the former, but it's never a straight choice between the two - and happiness does depend on a certain level of wealth always (even if it's just having enough food to eat).

Acquisition of wealth beyond a level of moderate necessity is an indication of the skewed values of present-day society - it seems many gain a sense of self-esteem by being able to compare their financial circumstances favourably with others'; it would seem that their psyches are sufficiently void of anything spiritually or creatively fulfilling, that they become consumerist, to try to fill the inner emptiness with 'stuff' that they don't really need...sad...

Acquisition of wealth beyond a level of moderate necessity is an indication of the skewed values of present-day society - it seems many gain a sense of self-esteem by being able to compare their financial circumstances favourably with others'; it would seem that their psyches are sufficiently void of anything spiritually or creatively fulfilling, that they become consumerist, to try to fill the inner emptiness with 'stuff' that they don't really need...sad...

Very true, but I would add that most people are forced into the rat-race, because they are not given the stability to be happy...when you are forced to work like crazy just to be able to afford to buy a modest house to live in, and you see jobs being sloughed off lef_right_and_centre, then it promotes uncertainty, stress and unhappiness.

Add into this mix the pernicious effect of modern advertising, which feeds off the alienation and sense of inadequacy by assaulting us with images of models, Beckham lifestyles etc., promoting desire and preventing people from being at peace with themselves.

I would certainly enjoy the opportunity to develop hobbies, spend more time with the people I love etc., but the system doesn't allow for this. it promotes social division, insecurity, stress, tears you away from your family, forces you to work long hours, and placates you with an IPOD.

Ha....fecking ridiculous isn't it?

(p.s. I do not own an IPOD)

I would say money is certainly not the be-all-and-end-all, but then again, I would not say that to somebody with none! Sufficient money provides two things: (1) security and (2) options....which can simply be the options to look after your parents in their dotage, provide a secure home for your family, be able to spend more time with them etc. In this sense it is important to have enough: It is a great enabler.

But to raise money above everything else is utter folly, and is of course the root cause of why the situation is the way it is. Hence I would say the key is to both ensure that you create enough wealth to be comfortable (and do it responsibly...no banking allowed :D ), WHILST simultaneously ensuring that you are not befuddled into thinking you constantly need more.

I think in summary most people are completely unaware of the extent to which they are dancing to another persons tune - their employers, the bankers, the advertisers, the special interest groups...they all want to influence your behaviour for their own (usually less than savoury) ends. And I am pretty sure your happiness is the last thing on their agenda.

Thus I think the first step to achieving happiness is to reclaim your mind from these people (educate yourself), seek out the many good people that still exist, and exchange recipes!

:D:D

Edited by marko

Absolute wealth is completely irrelevant to happiness. For hundreds of thousands of years our ancestors wore animal skins and gathered berries. I would like to think they were happy most of the time. What makes people happy are just three simple things

being free from worry

having loving and/or respectful relationships with others

finding your own meaning in life

If society were organised differently, material wealth would not be necessary to achieve these three things.

But in the world we inhabit, money stands in for all the above. It is a poor substitute for the real thing.

frugalista

I do not wish to be especially rich, but I have a very real fear of poverty (peniaphobia).

I thought paying off the mortgage would cure it, but it didn't.

My god. It has a name! Your not the only one PiltdownMan.