House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Black Hole As Massive As 12 Billion Suns Found, Could Change Theories Of How Universe Began

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/black-hole-as-massive-as-12-billion-suns-found-could-change-theories-of-how-universe-began-10071817.html

A giant black hole, as massive as 12 billion suns, has been found by astronomers and seems to be growing far too fast.

The black hole is not the biggest that is known, but is far bigger than scientist would expect to be at its age. It got to its huge size 875 million years after the big bang – which scientists wouldn’t expect to happen, since black holes grow as they age and eat other gas and stars that surround them.

Scientists can only see it at that age – 12.8 billion years ago, and 6 per cent of the age of the current universe – because it is so far away. They also can’t look at it directly, because the power of its gravity sucks everything including light into it – but the team that found it saw it by spotting a quasar, an object that gets lit up as it’s heading into the black hole.

Just mind boggling!!!

Oh I know this one!

Will he ignore it and not discuss it until it's so massive and out of control that he will be forced to recognise it and then say that 'nobody could see it coming!'

They should put that on his gravestone...

I saw a black hole once.... It sucked. :P

Apart from the fact that they're not black and they're not holes the description 'black hole' is almost perfect. :D

The Russians used to call them frozen stars, as in frozen in time, but that's not really true either.

The latest idea is that they're not space-time singularities at all but string-filled fuzzballs. Closer in concept to extra-dense neutron stars than something with infinite density.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzball_%28string_theory%29

Apart from the fact that they're not black and they're not holes the description 'black hole' is almost perfect. :D

The Russians used to call them frozen stars, as in frozen in time, but that's not really true either.

The latest idea is that they're not space-time singularities at all but string-filled fuzzballs. Closer in concept to extra-dense neutron stars than something with infinite density.

Or for those who like their reality loopy and not stringy they may be a singularity free gateway into another universe :D

http://phys.org/news/2013-05-theorists-loop-quantum-gravity-theory.html

OK I stand corrected. It's a giant ball of string.

Just watch out for the giant space kittens.

Mind boggling indeed.

There are so many wonders in the universe and it saddens me that I will never know everything about it.

When I was a child I believed that when I died , I would find out the answers to those impossible questions...well, it was better than religion!

Black holes aside, I've always been intrigued by what dark matter might be. It makes up the vast majority of matter in the universe, yet we can only detect it by its effects on regular matter. It's been hypothesised that it may be the effect of matter from another universe or universes.

Whilst the black hole is 12 billion times more massive than the sun, a scientist on radio 4 yesterday hypothesised that it's size was probably only that of an atom.......

They had an episode like that in Trek - they were happily Star Treking through space and then, BANG, they came to a sudden halt. Bits of set went flying everywhere. Actors in red shirts died.

It turned out that they had hit a Quantum String and it had trapped them there. They only had 50 minutes to save themselves before the next programme came on.

They had an episode like that in Trek - they were happily Star Treking through space and then, BANG, they came to a sudden halt. Bits of set went flying everywhere. Actors in red shirts died.

It turned out that they had hit a Quantum String and it had trapped them there. They only had 50 minutes to save themselves before the next programme came on.

So...everyone - never wear a red shirt. :unsure:

The one thing that I am confident of is that we have absolutely no comprehension of how the universe began, and sadly I don't think that we ever will. But I live in hope :)

The one thing that I am confident of is that we have absolutely no comprehension of how the universe began, and sadly I don't think that we ever will. But I live in hope :)

I guess people struggle to grasp the concept of 'forever', which is what it has been IMHO. Stange because most of the population believe that house prices go up forever, it's just like that!

On the first day there was only Pin! In his wisdom the universe was born!

We take things like iron, copper, calcium, etc, as things that have existed for billions of years but we forget that they didn't exist at the beginning of the Universe re current thinking. They took time to form over billions of years into the life of the Universe.

Perhaps our conciousness is merely the latest thing to evolve in the Universe and, whilst it is important to our existence, is merely an interlude.