House Price Crash Forum

"young Woman Rank Housing As The Most Important Election Issue"

Flopsy

HOLA441

Interesting comment on Women's Hour from Grazia Magazine editor (?). Discussing election issues and she said that readers of her magazine who were younger women rated HOUSING as the most important issue in the Election.

Something along the lines of being worried that they will ever be able to afford their own home.

I'll have to use the Listen Again and see if I can pin it down a little better. This is just from memory and I may need to edit it. Apologies for being vague.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I didn't say that it was. Just commenting that housing was identified on the radio as being of importance to one group in the election.

Politicians should be interested in that.

Housing as an election issue isn't getting enough publicity (in my opinion)

HOLA444

Sorry, why is this a specifically female issue?

Well, obviously that's just because of their readership. It's more of an age thing. Generally polls show housing some way down the list:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30980022

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31089739

There is this poll though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050zpwp

The top five areas of concerns for women were: the NHS (59%); the cost of living, including buying or renting a home (40%); the cost of caring for family (30%); Immigration (29%); and, Education (28%)

The top five areas of concern for men were: the NHS (50%); the cost of living, including buying or renting a home (41%); Immigration (32%); The economy (including the deficit and unemployment) (31%); and, pensions (24%).

So in this one, they explicitly put the housing issue inside cost of living, which isn't made clear at all in most polls. I bet bottom dollar the NHS poll numbers are hugely bolstered by the triple lock generation.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Unfortunately, I reckon most people would rather have more and bigger, daft government schemes to 'help to buy' rather than agitate for a change in economic direction that would result in lower house prices.

Suspect that you are right.

It was also said that they were stuck in rented accommodation, unable to get a mortgage and angry about that.

Rather than being in rented accommodation and in a bubble.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Young women rank not being able to find some mug able to afford to buy them a house any more as the biggest election issue.

I reckon your right there. A few of the girls in my age group (35) married old men in their mid 40's who were able to jump onto the housing ponzi prior to house prices shooting up.

Today's 20 year old girls aren't going to find many blokes with a decent stake in a house. IMO the old game of finding an older bloke to take care of you has gone.

HOLA4410

I reckon your right there. A few of the girls in my age group (35) married old men in their mid 40's who were able to jump onto the housing ponzi prior to house prices shooting up.

Today's 20 year old girls aren't going to find many blokes with a decent stake in a house. IMO the old game of finding an older bloke to take care of you has gone.

Quite the opposite surely? The old game of finding a bloke the same age to take care of you has gone. Finding an older bloke makes more and more sense if your motive is financial stability and housing equity.

HOLA4411

Interesting comment on Women's Hour from Grazia Magazine editor (?). Discussing election issues and she said that readers of her magazine who were younger women rated HOUSING as the most important issue in the Election.

Something along the lines of being worried that they will ever be able to afford their own home.

I'll have to use the Listen Again and see if I can pin it down a little better. This is just from memory and I may need to edit it. Apologies for being vague.

I'm afraid that if Cameron et al get the wind up about this, and do anything, it will just be more propping up of prices by funding deposits, etc. They seem to have cast-iron blinkers on when it comes to the simple fact of prices being too high.

I am sure it would win a lot of younger votes if any party said it would phase out mortgage tax relief for BTL. Only they are all too sh*t scared of losing the LL vote, plus of course so many MPs across the board have rental properties.

HOLA4412

Quite the opposite surely? The old game of finding a bloke the same age to take care of you has gone. Finding an older bloke makes more and more sense if your motive is financial stability and housing equity.

Looking for that older bloke is one thing. Successfully landing one however....

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Oh c'mon boys, save yer womenbashing for mumsnet. Unless it helps you to think you're more needed than you really are?

+1

House prices being too high is appearing everywhere now .... billboards, women's magazines, Radio 4..... we should be grateful and helping to build momentum. The more people that refuse to pay ludicrous prices, the more sellers will have to drop theirs. Yes the government will try and bring in HTB3, but I think people are getting wise to that now.

HOLA4418

This problem has little to do with what sex a particular individual is.......there are as many women as men that will never own a house of their own on their own, a woman is just as capable as a man is, it boils down to who has the best paying job and or parents.......so a growing number of both sexes now require two well paying, secure consistent places of employments to buy at the bottom.....just one income is now not enough.....

All people from all backgrounds, both sexes, all ages in different ways are feeling the consequences of past and existing bad policy decisions.....housing like immigration and mental health issues are subjects our leaders refuse to talk about it......is that because they do not have any answers so ignore it and hope it will go away? ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Unfortunately, I reckon most people would rather have more and bigger, daft government schemes to 'help to buy' rather than agitate for a change in economic direction that would result in lower house prices.

Not only that, but there's the notion that "you should buy property if you can afford it" - forget living your life, forget travel, forget even just living life in the slow-lane (while living within your means). I can afford a lot of things in life that I choose not to buy.

HOLA4421

housing like immigration and mental health issues are subjects our leaders refuse to talk about it......is that because they do not have any answers so ignore it and hope it will go away? ;)

On immigration, ONS figures show 624,000 moved to the UK to live (Sep 13 to Sep 14). I suspect many have moved here for economic reasons, and won't be able to afford a property. Rinse and repeat, year after year. Yet, house prices continue to be 2 to 3 times over-priced (literally).

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

On immigration, ONS figures show 624,000 moved to the UK to live (Sep 13 to Sep 14). I suspect many have moved here for economic reasons, and won't be able to afford a property. Rinse and repeat, year after year. Yet, house prices continue to be 2 to 3 times over-priced (literally).

Then you wonder why BTL has been seen as such a resounding success.....people are actively encouraged to move here because they consume, and help make money for a certain section of society.....immigration is a good thing and has benefited many people but has also created more competition for other people when there are limited resources available...there has to be a balance...too far too fast.......the hard and fast fact is far fewer will ever be owning their own homes, and rents will have to drop to match incomes available.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sq8VDXlWQk

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

This. Men just aren't looking at the 30+ women anymore (at least not for anything other than quick sex). They will trade off the house against access to a prime youth/fertility woman though (somewhere in the 20-25 yrs old range).

Edited by Errol