House Price Crash Forum

Britain's Brightest Leaving In Brain Drain And Replaced With Low Skilled Migrants

HOLA441
Guest eight

Somewhere on another thread somebody described Poles as a bunch of nihilists who exist only to work.

Whilst I wouldn't seek to denigrate an entire nation on the basis of one example, at the time I had a new Polish colleague. I ended up leaving as I was made to feel guilty for "only" working 50-60hrs whilst this guy was pulling 70-80. If I popped out for a couple of hours in the afternoon to see my family, take a breather etc. and left something for my return, this guy would do it while I wasn't there.

I wonder if Popgun could define the point at which "work ethic" tips over into just being an out and out scab? Talk about race to the bottom....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Imagine what will happen when ISIS et al realise how effective attacking our politicians and other "elites" could be in building support. The IRA got it eventually.

I wonder if that is because the French elite have a very real example from their countries history of the ruling class being dragged out to have their heads cut off when the gap between rich and poor became too much to ignore. For all the weaknesses and faliure of the french political system, I do get the impression that they see 'La Belle France' as something worth defending and protecting.

Looking at the behaviours of the UK MP's of all parties, I do wonder if any of them actually realise what can happen to people in 'power' when the masses get really angry about abuses of power.

HOLA444

Unemployment, at least in the UK has always been used as a threat to those in work. It serves as an incentive to stay focused and keep your head down. There can never be any fairness or level playing field until all members of a so-called global marketplace are obliged to abide by the same rules. In other words, if it were no longer be possible for either labour, cost of living or government regulation to be more favourable in one/many part(s) of the world than another, there might come a kind stablisation that might mean people could stay, work and prosper in the areas, regions and countries that they grew up in. The incentive-differential between where they are now and some other place would no longer exist. At the present time, there's economic disparity between regions of a supposedly integrated trading bloc. The disparities only really serve those in a position to exploit them. It also exposes the notion of national loyalty and "looking after your own" as meaningless beyond a family level.

HOLA445

Good luck to you!

How good are you at picking up a new language (or do you already have that)? I've learned three languages "on the job"[1], but none of them was as alien to me as (any) Chinese.

Or would you be one of those foreigners who lives in a little ghetto and has no life outside an ex-pat community? If so, rather you than me.

[1] OK, in the case of German I already had an O-level. Not that that means anything.

Can't go into much detail.

I'm not natural with languages. I queried the language 'issue' as to whether not speaking it would be an impediment for the job I was expected to do - I was told I'd be given a translator.

Would have to work closely with the Chinese (it's a UK-China joint project), but definitely a chance of an ex-pat culture. It would be an all consuming job.

Job exists on the premise that China is on the up and the job would become harder to achieve if the economy turns. The job is there because the UK-plc sees China as the place to be - and I wonder if it's a bubble about to pop. UK doesn't seem good at spotting bubbles.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA446

Somewhere on another thread somebody described Poles as a bunch of nihilists who exist only to work.

Whilst I wouldn't seek to denigrate an entire nation on the basis of one example, at the time I had a new Polish colleague. I ended up leaving as I was made to feel guilty for "only" working 50-60hrs whilst this guy was pulling 70-80. If I popped out for a couple of hours in the afternoon to see my family, take a breather etc. and left something for my return, this guy would do it while I wasn't there.

I wonder if Popgun could define the point at which "work ethic" tips over into just being an out and out scab? Talk about race to the bottom....

That comment stayed in my memory too. They really do seem to love it

HOLA447

Keep telling yourself that your overseas purchasers place orders with you for reasons other than your artificially low prices and sh*t build quality and the fact you speak English rather than German.

Seriously, why do employers spin this bullsh*t

No, I sell loads because my technology is ace, quality likewise, and costs good. And I pay very well for skills. Doesn't fit the popular idea I know but if you deal in caricatures that will happen.

Speaking German wouldn't be a disadvantage. Pity I dont.

HOLA448

'I'm not rascist, but .......'

I'd like to know what you make so I can avoid buying it.

If we are going to be discriminated against in our country, in favour of these super beings from abroad, I might just as well buy foreign anyway!

Don't Buy British From British Employers.

Uhh? I'm the one saying good luck to hard working people from all countries and I'm the one getting the racist jibes? Totally weird!

There's no discrimination makes sense. I just hire the best people. Discrimination is what you want (hire Brits regardless of calibre / skills). And as for buy British - who in their right mind thinks that's smart? Buy best I say, it's only sense. Are you Gordon Brown?

Edited by bogbrush

HOLA449

The poles are more than balanced out in the immigrant stakes by pakistanis who tend to only work for themselves (landlords, fast food, drug dealing, pimping, taxis, insurance fraud etc) that isnt going to put much downward pressure on the payroll of big companies...or somalians, the majority of whom seem to be single mothers doing no work at all. OK, gross racist generalization, but the stats seem to show its not a completely incorrect stereotype.

Overall I don't think immigration is liked by the elites because of its effects on productivity, but rather because of its effects on consumption and perpetuating the debt pyramid.

The real end point will be when we have no more national assets to sell in exchange for all the imported stuff. Then just how (un)productive the UK workforce is will be exposed. We don't pay our way by selling the proceeds of our production. We pay it by selling the proceeds of previous generations production. Have since the 70s

HOLA4410

I wouldn't say that people from other countries are better than Brits. You just meet the brighter, more active part of other country population you can afford to hire. The bright natives have much better options than work for you. Immigrants are disadvantaged and they need to offer more for the same money to be hired.

They're not. As I said in my earlier post, the immigrants are the ones with the get up and go - after all, they got up and went. Therefore it's the best of them coming over.

That said, my very top guys are all natives, came through apprenticeships in the most part and are paid well over local norms.

HOLA4411

Forget employed or unemployed.

You need to look at net tax contributor.

Tax credits have seen the UK take in the usess + unemployed from round the world. Put them on tax credits for 16h and top up their fcking wages.

We've lost net tax contributors.

Gained net tax takers.

And insist on housingthem up in one of the most expensive countrys in the world.

Thank you Gordon, you useless one eye cnt.

Not just Gordon imo, I think things started to go downhill the moment Labour got in.

It'll take years to get out of this mess.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest TheBlueCat

Indeed - the idea is that you welcome people with useful skills whilst telling the unskilled to feck off.

That isn't any kind of panacea either. In Canada we have (or used to have rather, it all changed recently) a system that selects based pretty much on qualifications and more or less ignores the employability aspect. The result is foreign doctors, lawyers & engineers driving taxi cabs.

HOLA4414

They're not. As I said in my earlier post, the immigrants are the ones with the get up and go - after all, they got up and went. Therefore it's the best of them coming over.

That said, my very top guys are all natives, came through apprenticeships in the most part and are paid well over local norms.

So the BoD are native, probably a hangover from before Labour's open door immigration policy changed the landscape everyone. I bet you secretly wish you could replace these folk too. Cigars all round.

I despise people like you and you are a part of the problem. When there is nothing left to eat but the rich then you'd better watch your back.

HOLA4415

Globalisation isn't a fair exchange.

Capital can move at the push of a button. Workers can move only by abandoning their existing communities, overcoming language barriers, putting all their possessions in storage, and navigating several different bureaucracies all while having no fixed postal address.

HOLA4416

So the BoD are native, probably a hangover from before Labour's open door immigration policy changed the landscape everyone. I bet you secretly wish you could replace these folk too. Cigars all round.

I despise people like you and you are a part of the problem. When there is nothing left to eat but the rich then you'd better watch your back.

See this is the problem for many on here. You're envious and bitter so have to assume that anyone doing fine is cheating. Just re-read your post; full of baseless assumptions and twisted frustration spilling over into bad emotions. That's a dark place you're in.

Most other private employers I know actually give a lot more than a damn for the people they work with. I know one who, when his firm was nearly going under had to do big cutbacks, including for himself. When the got things good again he not only restored everything, but then backdated the good news right back to the start of the cuts and stuck a bonus on top. His staff would walk through a fire for him, they know they can trust him.

It's tough if you've never encountered that type of business but utterly stupid to think they don't exist.

HOLA4417

Contrary to common believe most people in banks are hired because of their abilities. Banks run paid grad recruitment programs, grads usually work for a few months on some projects and then best get hired. You can also get a job by applying for an advertised job, especially in IT and other support roles. City also have problems with hiring good people, there is a lot immigrants from around the world working there, French, Russian, Chinese, Australians etc. I would say Brits are minority especially in the front office. I think investment banks are more a playground for aggressive, over ambitious, smart young people than a club for public school boys and girls.

As for universities, some people are not driven by money and prefer academic career regardless of its drawbacks.

Hmm, not really.

You make the assumption that banks and the financial services are well run + managed companies. They are not, by a long shot, as we have all found out.

In my time banks hire a lot of people. Its more a matter of throwing a large number of graudates at an area and hope some make money.

On the hwole, large parts of the city (banks, investment firm) are shite businesses.

They only make money because of the stupid high levels of leverage involved.

The leverage causes a lot of problems.

As far as value for money - is there anyone who's going to buy an new equity float from the UK? That's not financial services thats turd polishing - expensive turd polishing.

A lot of the wholesale banks and finance will go - kapput!

Look at all the open outcry exhcanges - LIFFE and the life - Poof! no more.

HOLA4418

That's why the banks and their employees need to be heavily taxed. Brits don't win from hosting a centre of finance. They always threaten to leave for Dubai. We should call their bluff. They can f*** off or pay up.

I don;t think banks should be heavily taxed.

I think they should be forced to hold very large capital buffers and the size of their assets limited i.e. make it so expensive for a bank's assets to get beyond 15% of the host's countries GDP.

If a bank goes into trouble then the bank's pension schmese get thrown in the pool + all money paid out in the last 5 years.

Any trading bank should have unlimited liability.

HOLA4419

Yes a Huddersfield business owner was very pleased with his 'graduate' workforce imported from Eastern Europe and the Emirates. Working for 'minimum wage.' Some were very good, but they are rapidly wising up.

The boss was saying 'they are even here at weekends, and late into the evenings.' So I went in to take a look. They were streaming TV over his broadband, listening to music and using his heat.

If the choice you have is working in this rentier hellhole, and earning something, rather than staying at home and probably earning nothing, what you going to do?

They are probably living in the office.

Its not mamas + papas?

HOLA4420

I don;t think banks should be heavily taxed.

I think they should be forced to hold very large capital buffers and the size of their assets limited i.e. make it so expensive for a bank's assets to get beyond 15% of the host's countries GDP.

If a bank goes into trouble then the bank's pension schmese get thrown in the pool + all money paid out in the last 5 years.

Any trading bank should have unlimited liability.

Any business should have unlimited liability, in my opinion.

A company is a fictional entity, owners own the assets and profits and should own the liabilities and losses.

HOLA4421

See this is the problem for many on here. You're envious and bitter so have to assume that anyone doing fine is cheating. Just re-read your post; full of baseless assumptions and twisted frustration spilling over into bad emotions. That's a dark place you're in.

Most other private employers I know actually give a lot more than a damn for the people they work with. I know one who, when his firm was nearly going under had to do big cutbacks, including for himself. When the got things good again he not only restored everything, but then backdated the good news right back to the start of the cuts and stuck a bonus on top. His staff would walk through a fire for him, they know they can trust him.

It's tough if you've never encountered that type of business but utterly stupid to think they don't exist.

Please don't try to justify your blinkered view of the world by thinking for me I'm perfectly capable of doing that for myself thank you. I'm not bitter or envious by virtue of the fact our household income is quite robust and I don't care for the rarified air that you breath. Frankly, I wouldn't work for you for all the tea in China thigh I doubt you'd employ me anyway as you're a racist.

HOLA4422

Yeah, right, I'm an English man whose racism extends to being biased against Englishmen. That's a new one.

Still, you're spot on on one point - I pay really well for the smartest people and you won't ever be working for me.

HOLA4423
Guest eight

Yeah, right, I'm an English man whose racism extends to being biased against Englishmen. That's a new one.

Still, you're spot on on one point - I pay really well for the smartest people and you won't ever be working for me.

Any vacancies?

HOLA4424

Anyone else wish small businessmen would just STFU? Seriously. You're not clever, you're not smart, you just own *a bit* more capital than your fellow man which allows you to employ them.

No one I know can afford to start their own business. If they drop off the PAYE radar, their student loans and debts start rolling up.

HOLA4425