House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Xil

Christmas Retail Sales Picking Up

Purely my own observations but it would appear that the population have finally woken up and started spending their customary amounts on daft Christmas presents.

My brother is a shop manager and he has been well above his sales targets throughout November and December. I'm expecting an avalanche of 'good news' with respect to many of the high street retailers.

If this happens, I'll put it down as another reason to buoy up inflation and therefore reduce the need for further rate cuts.

Anyone else seen a busy high street during December?

Xil.

Purely my own observations but it would appear that the population have finally woken up and started spending their customary amounts on daft Christmas presents.

My brother is a shop manager and he has been well above his sales targets throughout November and December. I'm expecting an avalanche of 'good news' with respect to many of the high street retailers.

If this happens, I'll put it down as another reason to buoy up inflation and therefore reduce the need for further rate cuts.

Anyone else seen a busy high street during December?

Xil.

I will admit that things have been totally dead for weeks where I am and suddenly from last weekend onwards the shops have been packed exactly as you would expect in the run up to Christmas.

I don't think this means that the retail figures are going to recover completely, it was always foolish to assume that nobody would be spending this Christmas at all.

Presumably a lot of people spending now are making the most of 'discounts' and 'bargains' - remember that personal debt is still growing at 10% (I think) so there is still the possibility that some of these bargains are being bought on credit - which, of course, just makes it worse in the long run.

I hope the spin claims a good year, and things start to look bullish.

If only for the sake of those poor little interest rates.

I agree, the last thing we need is Gordon Brown to think that too little is being spent, too much is being saved.

Millions of people are adding to their debt (again) but as much as a consumer slowdown is a fascinating observation (and very painful for Dixons ha ha), I don't think it will benefit the prospects of a housing slide.

When the housing market is falling like a ton of bricks, then a consumer slowdown would just be an inevitable accompaniment. I would rather see HPI go negative before everyone starts crying for a rate cut again.

Another cut in rates will only stoke the spin, even if the prices carry on down.

Xil.

My wife and I had the horrendous job of a shopping trip to Toys R Us last weekened. As expected the shop was bursting with up-tight pushing parents and over excited children. However when we had survived the torture of selecting the gift for our son we went to the checkouts to see them empty, yes empty. This is a shop that even in the quietest times of the year has massive queues and we were confronted with five Saturday kids staring into space.

Not saying this is definant proof of anything but was weird.

was in a branch of Jessops yesterday around 5pm when offices would be coming out and though it would be busy. Smallish branch of moorgate (london), had about 10 sales staff just talking to each other, obviously not very busy.

I had to return an item, and the look on the sales assistant and the manager nearly cut me in two.

Item was only for £12.99 and came from a different branch, and they were grumbling amongst themselves. It was like I was putting a nail in their coffin. They must be sweating bullets.

Last year I got £100 off a £320 camcorder just by asking - don't see many offers there this year. Things must be tight.

Takings at work have leapt this week. Last couple of weeks we've been between 1 and 3% down year on year. This week it's between 4 and 7% UP yoy.

What sort of work is it? (sorry - I have no idea & have not picked up from your previous posts)

I was going to make a joke about you must be a debt collector but I didn't think it would be appreciated!

:)

What sort of work is it? (sorry - I have no idea & have not picked up from your previous posts)

I was going to make a joke about you must be a debt collector but I didn't think it would be appreciated!

:)

Nothing exciting as that I'm afraid. I currently work nights at Asda whilst at college and being a Mum.

Another Asda colleague here, this week has seen a surge in sales which has gone against the trend of the past 10 months or so where we've been down 7% year on year. At the moment we're looking at +2% for this week.

Edited by HomeAlone

Even with sales down between 1 and 2% yoy we were still in the top 2 of the cluster, so the others must have been worse. Am off to get ready for work shortly. :)

Guest Bart of Darkness

I do all my shopping on the Internet. Haven't seen anyone else so far. :(

(mental note: must get out more).

Guest Bart of Darkness

internet shopping is cool. you can buy what you want without having intense daydreams about having to shoot your own badly wounded men in the head several times.

A great timesaver as I'm sure all right thinking people would agree.

Are your intense daydreams in grainy black and white or dominated by a single strong hue such as blue or red?

Mine are a pinky mauve except when I'm really stressed, when they tend to be yellowy beige, but apart from that abberation they are petty standard stuff.

Edited by Bart of Darkness