House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saver

Blocked Drain Advice?

Hi there,

I am in a block of flats - several flats are above me, but none below me (though I am not on the ground floor - there is a communal area underneath my kitchen). My kitchen sink drainage system is blocked to the point where running the washing machine results in the kitchen sink filling up with waste water! This only seems to have been happening for the last 2-3 weeks, though I had noticed washing up water draining a bit slowly for some weeks before that.

I took the u-bend off and it was empty (apart from being full of standing water). I don't pour anything down the drain that I have not in the past (and in the last house I lived in this was for 8 years, without any blockage), so I am fairly confident I have not caused the blockage.

I spotted the seal just beyond the u-bend is not water tight, and so water that backs up is heavily dripping through this. So I am reluctant to pour MrMuscle in because its toxic and I am worried its going to drip everywhere.

Am I at the point where there is nothing more I can do myself and I need a plumber?

Cheers,

Saver

You can buy Mr. Muscle in discounters like Home Bargains in 50% extra free bottles or go to Poundland and use the clones.

You are worried about it leaking but I would pour half a bottle down the sink and then pour a kettle of hottish - but not boiling hot - water after it to flush it towards wherever the block is. I would then repeat 6 hours later.

If you do this do not look directly over the sink when pouring the hottish water down the plug-hole as you do not want the chemical mixing with the water and becoming steam and getting into your eyes. Hold kettle at arm's length, pour it in and then either put the plug in or get out of the kitchen.

Sounds like the mains is blocked beyond your reach. Could even have frozen a bit in this weather. If the Mr. Muscle does not work after a couple of goes you will need to get whoever does the block maintenance to sort it.

Fix the seal first and then try drain unblocker.

Did you check for blockage before the u trap (at or jst below the washing machine inlet level), can't think why / quite how it would block there but a remote possibility.

Even if the drain cleaner does the job probably need to call out general maintenance as most liekly to come back and some clean pipe proabbly needed to fix properly.

Caustic soda can unblock fat etc.

Mix it (add the powder to water, not vice versa) in a strong plastic container, beware of damage to metal surfaces, read the instructions.

And don't mix with acidic drain cleaner.

Go outside and find the manhole cover which building drains into. Lift it and inspect. If it's got standing waste/water in it, contact landlord or maintenance. Easy routine problem to solev by DynoRod or manual rodding by local plumber.

You can buy Mr. Muscle in discounters like Home Bargains in 50% extra free bottles or go to Poundland and use the clones.

You are worried about it leaking but I would pour half a bottle down the sink and then pour a kettle of hottish - but not boiling hot - water after it to flush it towards wherever the block is. I would then repeat 6 hours later.

If you do this do not look directly over the sink when pouring the hottish water down the plug-hole as you do not want the chemical mixing with the water and becoming steam and getting into your eyes. Hold kettle at arm's length, pour it in and then either put the plug in or get out of the kitchen.

Sounds like the mains is blocked beyond your reach. Could even have frozen a bit in this weather. If the Mr. Muscle does not work after a couple of goes you will need to get whoever does the block maintenance to sort it.

Not sure I would be very confident about doing that (especially given my only window in the room opens only a tiny amount for safety reasons, so not much ventilation!).

Spoke to the landlord and he said the drain is well known for getting blocked (and usually its a particular other flat responsible for the blockage, because of what they pour down the drain!). So his usual drainage experts will sort it out hopefully.