House Price Crash Forum

Landlord Rent 'review' Letter

ccc

HOLA441

Mr tickle - yes based on the last two emails above - it sounds exactly what they are trying to do.

Don't know landlord details so can't follow up that way. Not sure about fees - but I am pretty sure the illegality of fees - doesn't cover those for landlords. Would explain a lot.

I think my response was straightforward enough. :)

In England, most of the time you should know your landlords details, should be on your tenancy. Surely Scotland cannot be worse this aspect?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA443

Checked today - they have taken the extra £25 off !!

Cheeky *******. Although no doubt they have just forgot about it.

Shall I raise a small court claims on them ? I could just go through the back for the DD guarantee and all that - but that's not the point.

Anything that causes them a hassle is worthwhile IMO.

HOLA444
HOLA445

You need to decide whether you're playing with them to wind them up, or trying to get the best deal on the rent.

It sounds like you wanted cheaper rent, but you're writing pointless argumentative emails like you're winding them up. Hence you'e now been charged £25.

What do you actually want?

HOLA446

Sorry ?

It sounds like I wanted cheaper rent ? Err I wanted to pay the same rent I have since I moved in. Explain to me how that's 'cheaper' please !!

Pointless argumentative emails to wind them up ?! Are you having a laugh ? They are the ones on the wind up ffs !!

I have been 'charged' £25 ? Err no - I have had £25 STOLEN from me by means of money transfer which on looking online seems to carry a maximum jail sentence of 10 years.

Jeez no wonder letting agencies get away with the shit they do when people have this attitude to an individual simply sticking up for themselves.

HOLA447

Not sure how it works in Scotland, but in England the landlord can force an increase in rent on an AST tenant even if they don't agree. They do have to follow a certain procedure with the right forms and you have the right to appeal to a tribunal. It can't just be done by emailing you the new amount and then increasing the direct debit.

The Shelter page advising you on how this works in Scotland is here, but it's as clear as mud:

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/paying_for_a_home/paying_rent/rent_increases

ccc, what kind of tenancy do you have?

HOLA448

Its just a rolling short term continuing from the initial 6 months. Not sure what its actually called.

They went very quiet when I pointed out the theft aspect - I get the feeling the bloke has made a ****** up by admitting they knew I said no and they did it anyway.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Cheers.

Know about the DD cancelling - just didn't expect them to actually up the charge !! I know these lot can have some nerve - but even I was surprised with that.

Probably going to move out pretty soon anyway. No danger they will get what they are wanting. Not a hope.

I have to send them a recorded letter etc.. and make resonable effort directly prior to using the small claims court (Says so in the guidance notes).

I think I will send them one at least so I can say I followed the guidelines. Either that or just can the DD and pay £550 by standing order next month ?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Sent an email to them explaining in very simple terms why I had cancelled my DD - due to their taking money illegally from me. Explained the next payment would be for my usual rent minus the £25.

Quite surprisingly I received a grovelling apology.

Conclusion - stand your ground if you have been done wrong and eventually they will give in. :)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Cheers !! It clearly got someones attention who was not in the '****** all our tenants because we can' brigade. So fair dos there may be SOME reasonable letting agents out there amongst the rest of them. :D

ManVSRecession - what do you think of my pointless annoying emails now ? :P

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4418

Was going to move out anyway.

Got three email requests already for 'viewing' from the letting agents. Told them in polite terms to ram it.

"Hi,

Afraid not - I have paid for this property until the 26th of June - I am not going to accept people coming in and out of it willy nilly until after that date.

Please take this email as official notice that DJ Alexander do not have my permission to enter 205/7 Leith Walk in the period of 28th of April to 26th of June - until I vacate.

If you think I am being unreasonable - think about the last time you were in a hotel with an 11am check out - and reception asking if they could come into your room from 9am with complete strangers to have a look about. I am sure you will now understand.

Much appreciated."

HOLA4419

Got three email requests already for 'viewing' from the letting agents. Told them in polite terms to ram it.

"Hi,

Afraid not - I have paid for this property until the 26th of June - I am not going to accept people coming in and out of it willy nilly until after that date.

Please take this email as official notice that DJ Alexander do not have my permission to enter 205/7 Leith Walk in the period of 28th of April to 26th of June - until I vacate.

If you think I am being unreasonable - think about the last time you were in a hotel with an 11am check out - and reception asking if they could come into your room from 9am with complete strangers to have a look about. I am sure you will now understand.

Much appreciated."

Nice one ccc. It's about time landlords realised that they rent a HOME, not a pile of bricks.

HOLA4420

"Hi,

Much appreciated."

Love it. How does this work with getting a reference for another rental?

HOLA4421