House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Tory Mp In 'cash For Access' Sting Claims It Is 'unrealistic' To Expect Politicians To Survive On £67,000

v2-Rifkind.jpg

Sir Malcolm Rifkind, the Conservative MP for Kensington in London, was filmed saying he was 'self-employed'

“There are probably 200 MPs who have various business interests on top of their MPs’ salary,” he claimed.

“If you’re trying to attract people of a business or a professional background to serve in the House of Commons, and if they’re not ministers, it is quite unrealistic to believe they will go through their Parliamentary career being able to simply accept a salary of £60,000.

“That sounds a lot to a lot of people earning less than that but the vast majority of people of a business or professional background earn far, far more than that.

Well surely if they want a professional salary they need to deliver professional results and an economy that functions. Time for performance related pay, lets see how they get on with 0p a year which is still more than they deserve.

v2-Rifkind.jpg

Sir Malcolm Rifkind, the Conservative MP for Kensington in London, was filmed saying he was 'self-employed'

Well surely if they want a professional salary they need to deliver professional results and an economy that functions. Time for performance related pay, lets see how they get on with 0p a year which is still more than they deserve.

No. Tar. Feathers.Rope.Land Rover.

Lots of small business owners manage to find time to give their services for free to local charities, community groups, sports teams etc.

Maybe the problem is we have too many old farts like him in parliament who spend half the afternoon napping. They sure seem to spend most of their time in the HoC's asleep...the poor old dears.

He should know better - he was in the Conservative government during the 90s with their daily sleaze.

So it's been no change then.

Edited by billybong

The tax free unearned Q.E./FLS backed tax payer funded 2nd home equity scandal is the worst of their ( the mps ) crimes!!!!!

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Just to be brutal westminster is one of the few parts of gov to escape efficiency savings. Lets start by automating as much as we can. Make some cuts, performance based pay is also a goo idea. Ill bet a decent manager could slash the cost of westminster as a business by at least 80%.

I still stand by the fact I could automate the whole process with a couple of apps and a website, direct democracy and it would cost ****** all.

although tar and feathers also works for me :)

Just to add, my dad met him once, he came round ours, said he was a right sleazy ******* and felt bad for letting him in the house. I have or a few folk I know have met a few of our current MPS and recent politicians.

Weirdly john major is often mentioned as a really nice guy, funny polite and affable. all the rest are described as total *****, Which I found surprising but the few who met him all seem to say the same.

Blair is often mentioned as the biggest **** they ever met.

Just to be brutal westminster is one of the few parts of gov to escape efficiency savings. Lets start by automating as much as we can. Make some cuts, performance based pay is also a goo idea. Ill bet a decent manager could slash the cost of westminster as a business by at least 80%.

I still stand by the fact I could automate the whole process with a couple of apps and a website, direct democracy and it would cost ****** all.

although tar and feathers also works for me :)

some are trying to do just that being trialed in Argentina ? http://democracyos.org/

Just to add, my dad met him once, he came round ours, said he was a right sleazy ******* and felt bad for letting him in the house. I have or a few folk I know have met a few of our current MPS and recent politicians.

Weirdly john major is often mentioned as a really nice guy, funny polite and affable. all the rest are described as total *****, Which I found surprising but the few who met him all seem to say the same.

Blair is often mentioned as the biggest **** they ever met.

I've contacted my MP twice ( 2 different ones ).

Both times they left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Slimy, self serving, self important ass-h*les both of them, IMHO. They did not take me telling them what I thought of them very well.

As far as I am concerned, these people who tell us they serve us, do anything but.

I wish they would stop saying they live in 67k

They have an extensive list of expenses including some of the biggest expenses of all... housing near work in London/transport.

I wish they would stop saying they live in 67k

They have an extensive list of expenses including some of the biggest expenses of all... housing near work in London/transport.

Dont forget their index linked pensions and the cushy jobs they get if/when they leave.

I think the best course of action is, if guilty and convinced of a crime, to make a real example of this one.

I suggest hanging, is that too much ?

They like to think that they deserve more - the sort of sums that many of their contacts and friends make. 100-500k a year. But realistically, a very small percentage of the MPs would make it in the real world, where performance matters and you can't point at a separate lot every 4 years and blame them for your feck ups. Most would be suitable for flipping burgers, not making businesses run.

They like to think that they deserve more - the sort of sums that many of their contacts and friends make. 100-500k a year. But realistically, a very small percentage of the MPs would make it in the real world, where performance matters and you can't point at a separate lot every 4 years and blame them for your feck ups. Most would be suitable for flipping burgers, not making businesses run.

On the flip side there seem to be a hell of a lot of high flyers and earners whose companies make serious money from puclic spending and public policy even after total failure. Strangely they all seem very benevolent to political causes,

Not so sure that performance matters in the real world, either. Once you're in a top spot you'll get your bonuses however the organisation you run performs.

https://secure.cfauk.org/assets/1298/Remuneration_Report.pdf

http://news.sky.com/story/1432582/cash-for-access-tories-suspend-rifkind-whip

Wot, no comments allowed by Sky.

I find it interesting what they do and dont allow.

So, Sir Malcolm, by his own admission, now only works 75% of his time as an MP,

So I guess he must only take 3/4 of his £67k salary?

No wonder he needs to top it up.

Explanations can be so tricky at times.

Edited by LiveinHope

So resign your seat then Rifkind and hand your knighthood back on the way out and let your beloved "free market" in labour decide if anyone else wants it and at what price.

Your mate Neil hamilton struggled to earn a living in the real world despite being a lawyer after he was chucked out.

Perhaps you could try a reality show or BTL to earn a few quid.

Edited by R K

There is nothing forcing the likes of Rifkind and company to do the job of MP.

If they dont like the pay and conditions they can resign any time.

It is not as though there is any shortage of candidates for the post of MP come General Election time.

As employers love to tell employees seeking a pay rise the fact that he is willing to to turn up to do the job for the current money is surely a sign he is being paid enough.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

So resign your seat then Rifkind and hand your knighthood back on the way out and let your beloved "free market" in labour decide if anyone else wants it and at what price.

Thats the thing...it's a vocational job....if you dont want to do it, quit.