House Price Crash Forum
rollover

Frantic Race To Remortgage As Rates Plummet

HOMEOWNERS are rushing to remortgage to take advantage of record low mortgage rates, new figures show. Remortgage applications jumped 24 per cent in January from December, according to data released by the Mortgage Advice Bureau today. Year-on-year, January saw a 17 per cent increase in remortgage applications. It compares to the 12 per cent climb in applications for house purchase.

Remortgaging can save borrowers an average of £2,304 a year, the figure equates to a 4.8 per cent pay rise for the typical borrower.

http://www.cityam.com/209988/frantic-race-remortgage-rates-plummet

Meanwhile, pensioners taxed and earned savings are annihilated.

I don't necessary think this is a bad thing. If all yields go to zero assets have to be sold to produce an income. If you were rich which would you rather live off yield or have to sell assets?

This could start to lower inequality taking it that no one who has millions would want to live like us plebs.

I don't necessary think this is a bad thing.

Yeah, you watch your f**king savings which you've earned and been taxed on disappear to support a corrupt/fraudlent banking system then you might change your view.

Easy access savings rates now no better than 1.35% - the lowest I have seen from regular checking.

You can still get 3% on up to £20K with Satanders 123 account, which looking at the post re average savings level will cover around 95% of people.

You can still get 3% on up to £20K with Satanders 123 account, which looking at the post re average savings level will cover around 95% of people.

Yes - in this environment I wonder how long Santander can keep that up.

I wonder how many of these people rushing to remortgage actually save money once all the lovely fees are factored in?

As an existing first direct customer i managed to remortgage with NO fees on to a 1.29 above base for life tracker.

Think the fee for new customers was £950 - probably still a good deal depending on size and term of mortgage.

As an existing first direct customer i managed to remortgage with NO fees on to a 1.29 above base for life tracker.

Think the fee for new customers was £950 - probably still a good deal depending on size and term of mortgage.

Estate agents always get the best deals.

Meanwhile, pensioners taxed and earned savings are annihilated.

The same pensioners with 10's & 100's of thousands of unearned equity in there homes. My heart bleeds.

The same pensioners with 10's & 100's of thousands of unearned equity in there homes. My heart bleeds.

but their home is where they live :o - do you suggest they live on the streets *sigh* new boomer haters on the forum.

Unfortunately the word "boomers" is starting to become the word used to include absolutely anyone over the age of about 25 these days.

Apparently it's 1946 to 1964. So 1946ers would be about 69 - likely just retired.

Edited by billybong

About to drawdown on a 1.79% tracker from HSBC, I was planning to overpay but recently I have been thinking about adding my monthly savings to a ZOPA account instead. The only risk with idea is that interest rates rise sharply and I am stuck for a few years paying higher mortgage interest rate that I can get from peer to peer lending.

I wonder if that availability of credit is a result of funds and hedge funds going into safe securities...

Seriously though, how much lower can they go?

Lower.

Looking at those retail sales volumes today firms in that sector appear to be slashing prices. Seems to be similar situation in mortgages. The weaker players will have to exit market or merge.

Edited by Ash4781