House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LiveinHope

Sraw And Rifkind Caught Out: Calling The Parliamentary Ombudsman

Telegraph and Channel 4 on Cash for Access scoop

Link

What compounds the errors are the weasel words of excuses

Asked about Mr Straw boast that he operated “under the radar”, his spokesman said: “This was a reference to his preferred strategy of affecting a change to regulations by discussion and negotiation, rather than conducting a high-profile public campaign.”

Mr Straw said that when he mentioned the £5,000 fee he was giving it as an example and not as part of a negotiation.

Sir Malcolm said he believed the “firm” had sought his help as a former foreign secretary rather than as an MP. He said: “I have never undertaken, nor would I undertake, any lobbying as an MP on behalf of any private organisation from which I was receiving remuneration.”

He insisted that when he said he could write to ministers he was only offering to obtain information that was “already in the public domain”.

Oh and

Sir Malcolm also described himself as “self-employed” and had to “earn my income” — despite being paid £67,000 by the taxpayer for his work as an MP.

I give up with them, but am no longer surprised

Edited by LiveinHope

It's being called "Cash for access" now because "Cash for questions" is such a no no.

Cash for questions would be too reminiscent of the many years of sleaze under the Conservative government of the 1990s.

Edited by billybong

It's being called "Cash for access" now because "Cash for questions" is such a no no.

Cash for questions would be too reminiscent of the many years of sleaze under the Conservative government of the 1990s.

It's a good thing Bill Cash has never got mixed up in this kind of thing or we'd have the Cash for Cash scandal.

Guest Jemmy Button

Only need the Chilcot report out and Straw will be totally finished. Couldn't have happened to a nicer slimeball...

Apparently Straw has 'suspended himself' from the PLP. I got rather excited when I read it, thought it was going to say from the nearest lampost. :D

Look MPs simply try and emulate people in business. Since they can't actually create anything productive or manage people they simply charge for access to power. This is how it will always be. Politicians tax the people in order to live champagne lifestyles - the car, driver, house in the country, can people not see that most people do not have these things but we pay for them for all MPs.

Rifkind boasting about how little he has to do as am MP, (Radio 4 just now). He has vast amounts of spare time he spends reading and described himself as self employed. John Humpreys reminded him that he is paid £67,000 as an MP. Rifkind said that though this may seem a good salary to an 'ordinary' person it was nothing to a businessman. He sounded like a spoilt brat moaning about £5 a week pocket money. £5000 a day is his rate, it's what he is worth.

Rifkind boasting about how little he has to do as am MP, (Radio 4 just now). He has vast amounts of spare time he spends reading and described himself as self employed. John Humpreys reminded him that he is paid £67,000 as an MP. Rifkind said that though this may seem a good salary to an 'ordinary' person it was nothing to a businessman. He sounded like a spoilt brat moaning about £5 a week pocket money. £5000 a day is his rate, it's what he is worth.

Rifkind spends large amounts of time reading and walking

Which begs the question as to what his hourly MP salary equates to, actually.

Probably pro rata, a salary that is a lot more than £67k

or perhaps the £67K is just what he gets out of bed for.

Edited by LiveinHope

Please can we have some names of politians that have not succumbed to temptation...who put their names forward and win for the right reasons...that is nothing to do with power, status, ego, money and pride or the wrong influence........if anyone wants to become a businessman why don't they just do it, instead of moaning about the pay they get for doing a job they applied for......just saying.

Please can we have some names of politians that have not succumbed to temptation...who put their names forward and win for the right reasons...that is nothing to do with power, status, ego, money and pride or the wrong influence........if anyone wants to become a businessman why don't they just do it, instead of moaning about the pay they get for doing a job they applied for......just saying.

reminds me of the old saying politician are like nappies they need changing regular and for the same reason.

voting labcon is just like using an old nappy

People like that have ability. They exist but do less well in the UK.

They are often seen as a threat by those who lack ability but who have spent their energies joining the club of funny handshakes and privilege.

Their motives in life are often also i) not understood and ii) are resented by funny handshake club members who are envious of the pure motives that drive them, and so a lot of energy is spent upon their exclusion.

Edited by LiveinHope