House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

Free Curry

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-31557192

I've eaten in Gurdwara's a few times out of general interest, although I've always left a donation so it's wasn't for free as such, and often wondered why the tradition wasn't more widely known about. It's decent food usually and, unlike the Hare Krishna's, no-one tries to convert you whilst you're stuffing your face.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-31557192

I've eaten in Gurdwara's a few times out of general interest, although I've always left a donation so it's wasn't for free as such, and often wondered why the tradition wasn't more widely known about. It's decent food usually and, unlike the Hare Krishna's, no-one tries to convert you whilst you're stuffing your face.

They're truly a part of the community.

I went into the Krishna place in soho once, by accident - i was half following the london vege guide years ago.

Despite being a vege, theappeal of the food was pretty limited.

No onions or garlic, two of my main ingredients.

Think runny, oily lentil dhall.

If I remember correctly, although sikhs are not veggy, temple food is.

If I remember correctly, although sikhs are not veggy, temple food is.

The stuff I've eaten there was all vegetarian - no shortage of onions or garlic though as far as I recall.

Did you see why :D

It should be pointed out that Garlic and onion are avoided by spiritual adherents because they stimulate the central nervous system, and can disturb vows of celibacy. Garlic is a natural aphrodisiac. Ayurveda suggests that it is a tonic for loss of sexual power from any cause, sexual debility, impotency from over-indulgence in sex and nervous exhaustion from dissipating sexual habits. It is said to be especially useful to old men of high nervous tension and diminishing sexual power.

I gotta get some!

Did you see why :D

I gotta get some!

You tried pulling after a garlic sodden meal?

To be honest, I don't hold back on the garlic.

GF never says anything and its hard to smell yourself.

Sorry, I meant in the Gurdwaras, not the Krishna places - I actually don't remember what I had there except that it was pretty bland and I didn't like the atmosphere so much.

I like sikhs. Ignoring the turban thing and there all pretty cool.

I went to a sikh wedding on a uni mate. It was pretty cool.

They don;t drink in the temple but they are ok at knocking off and going for beers in a pub.

They *really* don't like Pakistanis/muslims. Seriously.

That's understandable, as Sikhism was founded to protect hindus from Islamic aggression in mughal rule india.

Funny that, what with Islam being a religion of peace

Also the partition in 1947 left a lot of bad blood

Any mosque during Ramadan after sundown is a good source of free grub. I used to go to the big one in St John's wood where it was courtesy of the sultan of Brunei, or so I was told.

Only downside was the swarms of evangelists that you have to politely fend off.

I like sikhs. Ignoring the turban thing and there all pretty cool.

I went to a sikh wedding on a uni mate. It was pretty cool.

They don;t drink in the temple but they are ok at knocking off and going for beers in a pub.

I think it varies. A friend of mine went out with a Sikh lass at Uni. When he dumped her (as she was showing psychopathic tendencies) she threatened to have her brothers kill him. It must have been a credible threat as even now nearly 30 years on, he refuses to let certain people have his address in case she gets hold of it.

Mind you he was of Pakistani origin...

Personally, I've had no problems with either Muslims or Sikhs.