House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dinker

Dirty Women

I once wore the same shirt to work two days in a row (Monday/Tuesday) - Oh the horror

and it was commented upon condescendingly, at coffee time on Tuesday by a woman.

Unfortunately, she was wearing odd socks (one black and one navy, the latter had a small hole on the side), and she had been on Monday too. I made no comment.

But I resolved to wear the same shirt the next day on the off chance she'd be wearing the same socks, which she was.

She was wearing the same odd socks on Friday, and I was still wearing the same shirt, which I pointed out.

You could have roasted your chestnuts on her face.

I once wore the same shirt to work two days in a row (Monday/Tuesday) - Oh the horror

and it was commented upon condescendingly, at coffee time on Tuesday by a woman.

Unfortunately, she was wearing odd socks (one black and one navy, the latter had a small hole on the side), and she had been on Monday too. I made no comment.

But I resolved to wear the same shirt the next day on the off chance she'd be wearing the same socks, which she was.

She was wearing the same odd socks on Friday, and I was still wearing the same shirt, which I pointed out.

It is up there with the great battles in history.

"It is so important to clean your face daily and moisturise to slow down the ageing process." I think it is cosmetics sellers who are obsessed! I'm sure skipping a few baths is much better for your skin than marinading it in overpriced petrochemicals!

"It is so important to clean your face daily and moisturise to slow down the ageing process." I think it is cosmetics sellers who are obsessed! I'm sure skipping a few baths is much better for your skin than marinading it in overpriced petrochemicals!

If you strip the natural protective oils from your skin with solvents, your skin will produce more to replace them.

The more you wash with detergents the more you will need to use detergents. The cosmetic detergent industry relies upon that.

HPC offtopic has had a washing thread before.

I haven't used shampoo for 8 years. After 2 weeks of greasy hair it settled down.

IIRC 'ccc' was going to give up shampoo and see what happened.

I read an interesting book a few years back about how many of the 'health' things we take as gospel nowadays were merely the product of US ad men in the post-war years to get us to spend cash.

One was the brushing of teeth after each meal - sell more toothpaste and more brushes. They sold bigger toothbrushes and encouraged us all to cover them in toothpaste. Sell loads of both.

Another was how showering every day was a ploy to sell water in the US .

I read an interesting book a few years back about how many of the 'health' things we take as gospel nowadays were merely the product of US ad men in the post-war years to get us to spend cash.

One was the brushing of teeth after each meal - sell more toothpaste and more brushes. They sold bigger toothbrushes and encouraged us all to cover them in toothpaste. Sell loads of both.

Durex invented sex in the 60s for the same reason.

If you strip the natural protective oils from your skin with solvents, your skin will produce more to replace them.

The more you wash with detergents the more you will need to use detergents. The cosmetic detergent industry relies upon that.

I haven't used shampoo for 8 years. After 2 weeks of greasy hair it settled down.

Lucky. I tried that in my younger years. Despite persisting for nearly a year, it never settled down/stopped smelling like sheep - plus I developed a mad dandruff problem (which I've never had before/since). Even a barber commented that it was "pretty bad" so I went back to shampoo.

Now I use baby shampoo every couple of days/after heavy exercise.

That was soap - as giving up on shampoo would be pretty pointless as I don't have any hair :)

I'm on week 10 of no shampoo, no problems at all with greasy hair though my hair isn't overly long anyway. Was a sort of accident that I gave up on it TBH (forgot to take it for 2 days at the gym, then when I did remember I forgot to take it to the showers! By the fourth day of this I gave up, literally). I think exercise (and heavy sweating) helps to 'clean' my hair. I can also easily have a shower 2 or 3 times a day depending how many times I hit the gym so I guess that helps!

Water isn't really a business in the US. In most places it's provided as a municipal service (i.e. owned by the local government) and the charges are a fraction of what they are in the UK. The average water bill in LA, in the middle of a desert, is around £150 a year vs £400 in the UK.

I'm on week 10 of no shampoo, no problems at all with greasy hair though my hair isn't overly long anyway. Was a sort of accident that I gave up on it TBH (forgot to take it for 2 days at the gym, then when I did remember I forgot to take it to the showers! By the fourth day of this I gave up, literally). I think exercise (and heavy sweating) helps to 'clean' my hair. I can also easily have a shower 2 or 3 times a day depending how many times I hit the gym so I guess that helps!

I didn't wash my hair for years and it was fine despite being long. Started working at McDonalds and it was truly grim within a week, even though it was fairly short at that point. Some environments are ok others aren't I guess.

You really don't need cosmetics

<snip>

If the body expends materials and energy re-oiling itself then washing must be a slimming aid. :)

Did you? Sounds like you had some good "tension" going there.....