House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

This Will Warm The Cockles Of Your Bitter Twisted Hearts

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2312802-To-object-to-paying-two-lots-of-council-tax?messages=100&pg=1

:D

From the horse's BTLers very own mouth;

We pay really high rates on our own property. We have a rental property - a small flat- which we have been unable to rent. We have just been faced with a £650 council tax bill. If we had students in it the flat would be exempt, if we had one person in it we would get 25% discount but instead we have to pay the full amount when it is empty. I just can't see the fairness of this - but willing to listen if someone can explain the justice of it.

The flat is in a student area and we couldn't get anyone to rent it in September - we still have it up for rent now and are going to drop the price.

My point is if the house was let to students there would be zero council tax payable (even though three people would be using services). If one person was in (not a student) there would be 25% discount. So this system is not a fair reflection of services used. And we are not deliberately keeping it empty.
People are selling up buy to let's in droves because it is very often not viable. How does this help people looking for rental property. There are many good landlords.
Edited by fru-gal

Great thread title.

Doing tenants a 'favour' by being landlords (by allowing them to rent a place to live) ? From someone who has empty property.

Although just realised someone already linked to this same story in a different thread. Now I need a new fix of landlord distress to feed the monster.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2312802-To-object-to-paying-two-lots-of-council-tax

The converse side of Mumsnet - there's plenty there seemingly *incredibly* annoyed by BTLetters. Wonderful reading.

Edited by Venger

Oh boo hoo, moaning about £650 when we, the sensible, risk averse ones are faced with tens of thousands of pounds to fund your fantasy world of riches for nothing?

Get thee to a debtors gaol.

The tone of that thread is really interesting. There are plenty of housing have-nots there and they are angry about the same things HPCers are angry about.

The tone of that thread is really interesting. There are plenty of housing have-nots there and they are angry about the same things HPCers are angry about.

Wow you are right, I'm totally surprised. It even got a YABsoU!

Is the nation coming to it's senses?

houses are an easy target.

they know who owns them and therefore who to sue.

Landlords better get competitive...what?..you cant because the arbitrage on your mortgage payments v the rental is going to go negative?

Tough...time to get out.

Edited by Bloo Loo

As women are (or at least this is what we are always told) often more desperate than men to want a stable environment/home (or nest #cliche) to raise children, then surely they should be to most pro-HPC people out there? Why is HPC.co.uk not filled with females?

As women are (or at least this is what we are always told) often more desperate than men to want a stable environment/home (or nest #cliche) to raise children, then surely they should be to most pro-HPC people out there? Why is HPC.co.uk not filled with females?

Because hpc is a one track technical subject which men love to get all excited about?

As to complaining about the injustice of council tax, I see they didn't observe the injustice of council housing benefits lining their pockets whilst pricing working people out of decent housing

Its a fantastic thread; its almost more HPC than an a HPC thread. The anger is oozing out of it. Perhaps the critical mass needed to really stir things up has been reached.

I think the MN poster demonstrates the mental block people have when they try and make money from housing.

There's this massive meme about property 'being the way to ££££££'

So they get into BTL and find the returns either negative or the margin so thin that a one month void wipes all the profit out.

In the mid 200s you had all these BTL 'millionaires' (failing to subtract liabilities from assets) with several houses, sat there looking at a cash loss, year in year out.

The MN poster is that special type of LL, the student LL. They have a few months in summer to get the house let or itll stand empty for a year. Imagine if the house has finance on it? I look at a number of uni towns. You see loads of rentals still kicking around in Novemember, listed 'suitable for student'.

I remember having a chat with a potential LL who was getting ahead of themselves on pricing. I pointed out that the LHA rate is half the rent he wants to charge and that there are few jobs paying enough to make renting a sane optoin. There's a naive attitude which assumes that local rents are flexible - they really are not. Rents tend to stick around certain prices, which tend to be related to the LHA allowance.

I think the fundamental problem is most UK peoples maths is lousy. As my mum replied, when I was talking her out of doing something stupid - 'I can't do percentages'. Add poors maths to not being able to run a business and handle the issues and you have yourselves a disaster.

I think the fundamental problem is most UK peoples maths is lousy. As my mum replied, when I was talking her out of doing something stupid - 'I can't do percentages'. Add poors maths to not being able to run a business and handle the issues and you have yourselves a disaster.

This

Add message | Report | Message poster MrsJuice Thu 19-Feb-15 20:30:09

We were in this situation.

DH and I met, having a house each. We decided to sell his, due to location. It was impossible to sell, despite being an amazing house.

DROP

THE

PRICE

All this heartache could be avoided if people only used RAJ SHASTRI as their BTL role model.