House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

If You Think We're Having A Miserable Winter Here...

...have a look at this, just sent by my sister who lives in Cambridge, Mass, next door to Boston.

www.nytimes.com/2015/02/20/opinion/bostons-winter-from-hell.html?r=1

...have a look at this, just sent by my sister who lives in Cambridge, Mass, next door to Boston.

www.nytimes.com/2015/02/20/opinion/bostons-winter-from-hell.html?r=1

PS - bugger, can't get link to work, sorry.

i think the link sums it up rather nicely.

mostly down to bad management(not underinvestment)

go to a northern european country such as finland/norway/sweden and they can keep ALL the airports open, ALL the transport links open and STILL be driving around in LADA's/skoda's..and it all keeps running in the thick of winter(which is typically -20 to -25C with lots of snow for 3-6 months)

down here everything stops as soon as we get the first bit of frost on health+safety grounds.

truth of the matter is we have been turned into a bunch of pussies(deliberately),by a bunch of power hungry wolfie-smiths who really couldn't cut it if they had to do some proper graft,but want to keep everybody else soft and compliant too.

OUR COUNCILLORS/POLITICIANS NEED ACCLIMATISING SOMEWHERE LIKE TROMSO(on runway clearing duty) in the middle of january for a couple of months.that'll man 'em up a bit.

i think the link sums it up rather nicely.

mostly down to bad management(not underinvestment)

go to a northern european country such as finland/norway/sweden and they can keep ALL the airports open, ALL the transport links open and STILL be driving around in LADA's/skoda's..and it all keeps running in the thick of winter(which is typically -20 to -25C with lots of snow for 3-6 months)

down here everything stops as soon as we get the first bit of frost on health+safety grounds.

truth of the matter is we have been turned into a bunch of pussies(deliberately),by a bunch of power hungry wolfie-smiths who really couldn't cut it if they had to do some proper graft,but want to keep everybody else soft and compliant too.

OUR COUNCILLORS/POLITICIANS NEED ACCLIMATISING SOMEWHERE LIKE TROMSO(on runway clearing duty) in the middle of january for a couple of months.that'll man 'em up a bit.

I'm inclined to agree. Although authorities would undoubtably be panned for wasting money on snow ploughs etc during a series of mild winters. It seems despite the US and UK being very wealthy, we can afford no redundancy - and have created a complex just in time society which can't survive small shocks.

For example, there has never been any weather in UK when I haven't been able to cycle to work. Once me and the MD were the only people to show up as everyone else thought the weather too bad to travel (some seasonal snow). But it also helped that I've always lived within 10 miles of my work place. I doubt that's true of many nowadays - making them dependent on public and car transport.

The article talks about the problem of child care. When did we become so intolerant of small humans that they simply couldn't accompany their parents to work, and do something quietly in a corner somewhere on the odd occasion?

I'm inclined to agree. Although authorities would undoubtably be panned for wasting money on snow ploughs etc during a series of mild winters. It seems despite the US and UK being very wealthy, we can afford no redundancy - and have created a complex just in time society which can't survive small shocks.

For example, there has never been any weather in UK when I haven't been able to cycle to work. Once me and the MD were the only people to show up as everyone else thought the weather too bad to travel (some seasonal snow). But it also helped that I've always lived within 10 miles of my work place. I doubt that's true of many nowadays - making them dependent on public and car transport.

The article talks about the problem of child care. When did we become so intolerant of small humans that they simply couldn't accompany their parents to work, and do something quietly in a corner somewhere on the odd occasion?

Didnt you recently post about having some young relative visit you?

That's why...

Do you have children?

Didnt you recently post about having some young relative visit you?

That's why...

Do you have children?

Ha ha, yes busted. I guess it depends on how well behaved they are. But my parents did this once or twice - and colleagues have occasionally bought their child to work when their child care arrangements broke down.

Ha ha, yes busted. I guess it depends on how well behaved they are. But my parents did this once or twice - and colleagues have occasionally bought their child to work when their child care arrangements broke down.

You can't do it in a food workplace, probably not a retail environment either. It'd ****** up insurance if there was an accident.

Some kids are lovely and would happily sit and colour or read all day. But others are little monsters who need constant supervision.

One of the reasons I think youth clubs are a crap idea is that the nice kids don't need them, and they just teach the bad kids that society will entertain you.

I don't know... What struck me about that article was the number of times it mentioned cars. They've become completely reliant on the car and they just can't cope when they're unable to use them.

I don't know... What struck me about that article was the number of times it mentioned cars. They've become completely reliant on the car and they just can't cope when they're unable to use them.

You do see quite a few bikes around the Cambridge area, and unlike much of the US people do walk. My sister lives almost exactly a mile from Harvard, and usually has a couple of postgraduate students as lodgers. She works from home, but I asked the other day how her lodgers are managing to get in and out (I don't think there's a bus on that route). One of them is still managing to cycle in. Most of them have usually walked - I don't think any of them have ever had cars.

When did we become so intolerant of small humans that they simply couldn't accompany their parents to work, and do something quietly in a corner somewhere on the odd occasion?

After Pedogeddon. You'd have to do a background check on everyone first, to make sure they're not a Pedo.

Plus, Health and Safety.

Oh no the thread has gone off-topic somehow! :wacko: