House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Email Program?

Might be an idea to figure out why it is slow and unusable. I have no issues with it and I'm sure Google would know if it was a widespread issue.

It was the 'people' add on but I've unclicked that in settings and that seemed to help briefly but then it's shite again.

My OH is going to spend a day sorting my computer out. I'm always on it though so it means taking a day off whilst the weather isn't very allotment-y.

I've just turned hangouts off too - suspect it's just all the shite that google wants you to have open is not good.

Part of the problem is the huge amount of email I get. And I hate deleting email. I need millions of filters set up.

I never used to get too much but realised that 90% of what I did get was either junk or never read. I started unsubscribing or spamming everything to cut down on noise, now all I get are the few each day that I do open and then any purchases or that.

You're probably correct in turning all of the other features off.

Yep, it is all the ad-on stuff that google wants you to monitor you by.

They had something new this week - forget what it is - but it looked very CPU intensive as it would be constantly monitoring your PC. I think it was some kind of indexing of your photos and documents on your PC.

I have the same problem with Windows Mail.

Works OK after running an antivirus scan.

I put it down to upgrading from Windows XP to 8.1 on a 7 year old PC.

use firefox to access the gmail, make sure you have added the adblock plus add on.. Adverts slow online email free providers something rotten. Adblockplus.org

Thats a fair point BL. 'Er indoors has been watching Netflix on IE and it's virtually unusable...always clogged up with Ad services and viral toolbars until performance is terrible.

Told her to fire up Firefix instead...works like a dream.

P

not only that, some youtube vids have adverts on them, and adblock gets rid of them too.

Hello SB. You haven't accidentally set up something like photo/music archiving have you?

I still use hotmail. Microsoft are marginally less evil than Google say I.

Other than that...what do you read on - PC or mobile? Does it have to be web-based or would you consider a client e.g. Outlook? Email clients can still read and send email without loading all the web based shiite that gmail, yahoo or microsoft live try to burden you with.

P

Don't think so. How would I know?

I use my own domain forwarding *@mydomain to everything. I use all sorts of fronts for my emails to filtering would be easy with proper filtering.

Desktop and iPad.

Him indoors thinks the sheer volume of email is the problem. I get lots for work - most of which I ignore tbh but some I can't. I can probably unsub from a few million things which would help.

I used to use Eudora.

I have looked at thunderbird briefly which is when I got to thinking I should ask you lot.

not only that, some youtube vids have adverts on them, and adblock gets rid of them too.

Indeed. I was setting up a connection for a new neighbour a while back and I fired up Youtube to see that it worked. I was surprised to see adverts, being a habitual user of Firefox with Addblock.

Edit to get back to OPs question. I use Firefox these days after many years with Pegasus. I'm using BT as my ISP at the moment and to be honest the broadband is pretty good but the email seems to go to hell in the middle of the day. They can't say why, or more likely won't. Given that situation plus the fact that they seem to manage to sneakily increase their charges from bill to bill and that fact that they still use offshore tech support, I am in the process of moving. I've registered my own domain so that moves in future will not force a change of email address.

Thunderbird with Lightening for the calendar is an alternative to Outlook.

You could look at Zimbra which I put on a friends computer, seems to be happy enough with it.

And this is another obvious one but have you looked at a server-based email spam filter? If you have various email accounts being forwarded this sounds like a good idea.

P

Gmail actually filters pam quite well. It's the emails I deliberately get are the problem maybe :-)

I've got both Thunderbird and Outlook...In Outlook, you can now only view one account at a time, as Microsoft claims that if you can view all your accounts, that its a "security risk"...

Are you sure about this? I have Outlook 2013 configured with multiple accounts.

I think he means profile.

I can create multiple profiles too. Can you not add profiles when clicking on the mail icon in the control panel?

yes, you can have multiple profiles, each one will read whatever accounts you want it to, and store everything where you want it. So you might want to read gmail and hotmail emails in one profile, whilst looking at business ones in another...that way, you can keep both separate.

I havent looked, but theres probably a way of separating them with rules too in the one profile.

I have all my accounts (hotmail, gmail,Office 365) separate on one profile in Outlook. Just go to "File, Account settings, Add accounts".

thats right, profiles are for separating things you want separate.

in any one profile, you can collect from a number of mailboxes, on line calendars, sharepoint servers and so on. I dont know what the limits are.