House Price Crash Forum
Sancho Panza

Half A Million People Have Benefits Suspended In Welfare Crackdown

Telegraph 20/2/15

'Nearly half a million people have had their benefits suspended over the past year after they failed to do enough to find work, turned down job offers or missed Jobcentre appointments, according to new figures.

A total of 466,000 people were hit by sanctions which saw them barred from claiming Job Seekers Allowance for an average of between four weeks and three months.

However, 2,000 repeat offenders were hit by significantly harder sanctions and had their benefits stopped for the next three years, including 49 single parents and 978 people under the age of 24.

Iain Duncan Smith, the work and pensions secretary, hailed the figures as evidence that the sanctions system is deterring people from offending after the proportion of people sanctioned fell by 18 per cent.

He said that "there should be consequences" when people "don't play by the rules": "The vast majority of people on benefits want to work – and take up all the support on offer to move into a job. We can see this from the record numbers of people in work and falling unemployment.

However Frank Field, a Labour MP, said: "The Government is keen enough to leave people with no money for weeks and months on end, and yet it doesn’t know where a third of people end up after they’ve been sanctioned.

"Nor does it want to tell us how big the total ‘fines’ are as a result of its sanctions strategy. While we can’t be sure how much this might be, it is probably greater than what magistrates make from fining people; and at least in the courts people can actually speak on their behalf against the decision."'

Edited by Sancho Panza

i tried to claim jsa , sorry sir you have more than 16k in the bank you are entitled to nothing !! but i have paid around 100k in tax already , sorry we don`t make the rules.

romanian walks in , here have a council house, have jsa, have child benefit, have housing benefit, pay no council tax, get free precriptions and dental work.

oh and you get to buy your council house 70% less too ! welcome to britain have a nice day.

There is something horribly broken about the way we do welfare - it costs a fortune, but the results are rubbish!

Actually, scratch that: it's not just welfare, it's everything in modern Britain :)

Oh for the days where you could buy a battleship for a couple of million quid!

Nowadays that wouldn't even get you past the risk assessment for the drawing boards.

Are these 466,000 people 'off the unemployment count?'

It sound like a short term suspension of four weeks to a maximum of three months. So most will be back on if they haven't found work.

Ofc - all that matters, off official figures and onto ZHC/sickness/streets whatever so long as they're not on the stats.

Iain Duncan Smith said that "there should be consequences" when people "don't play by the rules":

But not for us, we are free to dodge tax fiddle expenses and take bribes jobs from bankers and property developers.

Basically yes ,while the sanction is in place add this to the new self employed working tax credit scam ..and you have the reason for low unemployment numbers coupled with a rising welfare bill

A total of 466,000 people were hit by sanctions which saw them barred from claiming Job Seekers Allowance for an average of between four weeks and three months.

However, 2,000 repeat offenders were hit by significantly harder sanctions and had their benefits stopped for the next three years, including 49 single parents and 978 people under the age of 24.

So less than 1/2% of those sanctioned.

Complete waste of time/effort/money/legislation.

hsbc tax evaders? "Not my problem" says Osborne.

i tried to claim jsa , sorry sir you have more than 16k in the bank you are entitled to nothing !! but i have paid around 100k in tax already , sorry we don`t make the rules.

romanian walks in , here have a council house, have jsa, have child benefit, have housing benefit, pay no council tax, get free precriptions and dental work.

oh and you get to buy your council house 70% less too ! welcome to britain have a nice day.

Point 1: Quite right, why should the taxpayer fund you when you could fund yourself?

Point 2: Quite wrong. Economic migrants should have a firm job offer, pass a medical, and be ineligible for public assistance for years.

There is something horribly broken about the way we do welfare - it costs a fortune, but the results are rubbish!

Actually, scratch that: it's not just welfare, it's everything in modern Britain :)

Oh for the days where you could buy a battleship for a couple of million quid!

Nowadays that wouldn't even get you past the risk assessment for the drawing boards.

Jobs for the risk assessors and the drawing board manufacturers...... ;)

Edit: Thousands of jobs are created to help find people jobs that don't exist.

Edited by winkie

Point 1: Quite right, why should the taxpayer fund you when you could fund yourself?

Point 2: Quite wrong. Economic migrants should have a firm job offer, pass a medical, and be ineligible for public assistance for years.

I would agree on point one if they took assets into consideration i.e equity

Cant see how it`s ok to fund yourself and someone elses mortgage(Rent) when someone could have 100`s of thousands of wealth in their home but still entitled to something a renter is not because they are deemed to be financially better off because they have 16k or more in the bank

I would agree on point one if they took assets into consideration i.e equity

Cant see how it`s ok to fund yourself and someone elses mortgage(Rent) when someone could have 100`s of thousands of wealth in their home but still entitled to something a renter is not because they are deemed to be financially better off because they have 16k or more in the bank

Does seem somewhat unfair.....if a mortgage holder had £16k they could use it to pay a chunk off their mortgage....a renter saving hard for a deposit to buy a place who loses their job are unable to do that. ;)

You're clearly a racist holding such views :P. If UKIP don't get a tonne of seats this May, the country deserves to sink.

Sounds like this is a bit too much daily mail influenced. Does anyone know what the real situation is like ?

Sounds like this is a bit too much daily mail influenced. Does anyone know what the real situation is like ?

I don't know the situation is like today. However a few years ago a Spanish citizen I know did that, although she got a flat not a house. However it was in Islington and most people couldn't afford a flat there. If everyone in the UK knew this woman, UKIP would get 50% of the vote.

Edited by iamnumerate

None of these sanctions actually creates a single job.

What the employed, particularly low-paid, don't seem to realise is that forcing the unemployed into destitution allows employers to drive low wages even lower.

Most employed pay for these benefits that they won't receive if employed, and have low chance of receiving if unemployed.

So the only people who really benefit are the very wealthy employers.

Unemployed/welfare is to the Tories what the NHS is to Labour - in a 'weaponised' sort of way :rolleyes: .

There is a certain irony in that it was a statistic-fiddling Tory regime that came up with the wheeze to move the unemployed on to sickness/disability.

Heaven knows what will happen with all of these productivity gains and technological advances coming our way.

None of these sanctions actually creates a single job.

What the employed, particularly low-paid, don't seem to realise is that forcing the unemployed into destitution allows employers to drive low wages even lower.

Most employed pay for these benefits that they won't receive if employed, and have low chance of receiving if unemployed.

So the only people who really benefit are the very wealthy employers.

....yes, very easy to pay people as little as possible knowing there are very many looking for regular secure certain work.....regular bills such as rent,debt repayments, food, heating and phone.. call for regular work......the cost of living.

Nobody talks about the cost of travelling to a job......sometimes JSA works out to be more in the pocket than after taking into account expenses incurred to do a job such as clothing, food eating/drinking away from home, transport, even the cost of a hair cut.....just going to work costs money.....best not to go down the path where rich corporates get used to exploiting those with a need, just because they can.....a thin line that must not be crossed. ;)

However a few years ago a Spanish citizen I know did that, although she got a flat not a house. However it was in Islington and most people couldn't afford a flat there. If everyone in the UK knew this woman, UKIP would get 50% of the vote.

Being married to a Slovak who often works low paid jobs, I hear a few tales. A young Slovak couple arrived, her already pregnant, him unskilled, he got a part time job in Warrens bakery doing the usual 16 hours a week, they got a council house, car, benefits out the wazoo, no taxes beyond VAT. I heard about this couple because the new mother was bitching about her house not having a garden, which drove my other half into a fury, as we get nothing, and have a lifestyle at least outwardly which is far worse even though I'm on an above average wage.

She has had a few similar tales over the years. So it definitely happens, though a few anecdotes tell you little about the scale of it. Though in the last couple of years my other half has turned into an incredibly hardened 'Kipper, far worse than me! so take that as you will.

For sake of balance I also know of a Romanian bloke who has been working in a co-op for about 15 years now, he's worked his way up to manager from shelf stacker. He's definitely not a moocher, very much a work ethic sort.

Edited by EUBanana

A few years back I went to a Atos assessment centre, I was the only person who could speak English. Every single other interviewee needed an interpreter.

Edited by Blod

We should not blame immigrants or the things they have been given.......it is the system that has allowed them to have what they have been given, anyone in their shoes would take all that is freely handed out to them.

It is the working class people of this country, of all nationalities that have felt the biggest negative impact of mass and rapid immigration over the last 30 years into this country from ALL over the world...the people that are not feeling the tough competition for work, housing, school places, doctors etc are the wealthy, they have gained massively from immigration and use the cheap resources to increase their wealth.......all in this together....big society. ;)