House Price Crash Forum

House Building Q4 2014 England

FreeTrader

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

The best outcome would be if the private sector ramped up house building in high employment areas to 300,000 properties a year, and kept it there for a decade.

But if not the private sector then why not just build council houses? A central government/local council partnership, because of virtual control on local land prices, could build houses far more cheaply than private builders. They could borrow the money to build at ultra cheap rates, and once they'd built those new council houses they wouldn't have to pay BTL landlords to house social tenants. So the scheme would be self funding.

Britain's housing stock is increased, employment is boosted, and BTL gets a kick in the teeth. What's not to like?

HOLA444
HOLA445

There would be far more housing built if the government didn't restrict residential land allocation via planning law.

If the laws were change to benefit the 99% you would find land with permission is $hitty areas falling from £1,000,000 per acre to near £100,000 per acre like it is in comparable european countries.

It's this hidden £90k per house 'planning permission tax' that's killing building, nothing else.

HOLA446

Pathetic, a nation that lets in 250,000 people a year, where most under 40s are priced out and thats all the building the state allows.

Upper echelon public sector heads on sticks is what is needed.

The simple fact is that until prices become affordable there won't be any building.

HTB et al miss the point, housing costs have to drop in cost.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Housing Minister Brandon Lewis:

"We inherited a broken housing market in which builders couldn’t build, lenders wouldn’t lend and buyers couldn’t buy. We’ve done a lot to help get the housing industry back on its legs, but there’s more to do.

"Today’s figures show we’re on track and turning this around. Now, housebuilding levels are at their highest annual total since 2007, and first-time buyers are getting on the property ladder in record numbers.

"This is thanks to our long-term economic plan and efforts to tackle the deficit we inherited, which are keeping interest rates at their record low and mean now is the best time on record to take out a mortgage."

Housebuilding continues to climb

HOLA4412

"Long term economic plan"

""We inherited a broken housing market in which builders couldnt build, lenders wouldnt lend and buyers couldnt buy. Weve done a lot to help get the housing industry back on its legs, but theres more to do."

It's just hit air with these windbags, the only effort they make is in crafting a story for the press to lap up.

The big builders just like the big energy suppliers and probably water suppliers too, are just all in this together, up to their eye balls.

Big builders donate to the Tories, in return they don't need to worry about the cartel they are running, he'll why not throw in some state subsidy with public funds for HTB or Newbury scheme.again the only losers are the public in that sweet little money exchange.

And silver surfer is right, just build more social housing. The private builders have completely failed, housing is too important to leave to these bent monopolists.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yep, good points. I know it's been mooted here before but builders should be forced to develop land holdings within 5 years of purchase or face having it CPO'd by government at a bare minimum amount. It could then be used for social housing or sold as individual plots for self-build and/or smaller house builders.

At the end of the day, if housebuilders don't build and sell houses then they don't make a profit. I am not sure I fully buy the argument often made by the left that housebuilders are rationing land to keep prices artificially high. I think this is just about the left playing to their belief of big corporations = evil.

I think that the reason why housebuilders are sitting on large amounts of undeveloped land is their developments are stuck in the beauracracy of the planning system. To give an example, in 2001 there was a plan to build 5,000 houses to the west of Stevenage. After 12 years of political interventions, public enquiries, negotiations and judicial reviews, the developers finally gave up and threw in the towel in 2013. How can any private company expect to make a profit if this is what they have to face?

http://www.stevenage.gov.uk/planning/stevenage-west/

Edited by subspace

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The live table 254 shows that into the last boom flats in the mix peaked at 50% (08/09) on completions and is alot lower now. Back then they kept knocking out those flats in towns and cities to a seamlessly endless stream of investors. As an aside there are so many of these £2-300K flats in my local Rightmove search on for prices that make my eyes water. Pass the parcel.

Atleast where I am in Kent anecdotely they are actually building houses but imagine in London developments are flats offloaded to whoever.

HOLA4417

Meanwhile there is a HPC in retirement apartments in PRIME areas near me. For the over 60s. Another 1 bed apartment reduced by a bit over £5K yesterday to a near 1999 price (current asking price = £79,500). Better than posh hotel suites some of them; with kitchen, parking space, and low service charge (£120pm for 1 bed.. circa £150pm 2 bed). So few downsizers.

We need more retirement apartments, and something to jolt older owners in looking to cash in from hyperinflated values on large family homes... too few older owners, rattling around in large family homes, with little motive to downsize against £25K-£75K+ a year HPI on top of HyperHPI, for the moment.

HOLA4418

Meanwhile there is a HPC in retirement apartments in PRIME areas near me. For the over 60s. Another 1 bed apartment reduced by a bit over £5K yesterday to a near 1999 price (current asking price = £79,500). Better than posh hotel suites some of them; with kitchen, parking space, and low service charge (£120pm for 1 bed.. circa £150pm 2 bed). So few downsizers.

We need more retirement apartments, and something to jolt older owners in looking to cash in from hyperinflated values on large family homes... too few older owners, rattling around in large family homes, with little motive to downsize against £25K-£75K+ a year HPI on top of HyperHPI, for the moment.

Why would they want retirement properties? They can't profit from retirement properties.

HOLA4419

The live table 254 shows that into the last boom flats in the mix peaked at 50% (08/09) on completions and is alot lower now. Back then they kept knocking out those flats in towns and cities to a seamlessly endless stream of investors. As an aside there are so many of these £2-300K flats in my local Rightmove search on for prices that make my eyes water. Pass the parcel.

Atleast where I am in Kent anecdotely they are actually building houses but imagine in London developments are flats offloaded to whoever.

+1

That was the height of the boom. Driven by pure get-rich quick speculation.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Why would they want retirement properties? They can't profit from retirement properties.

:lol:

I've decided to let the hpcers who try and convince everyone nearly all older owners don't care what it's worth, to their own wild delusions.

Lettis.

Yesterday, 6:21 AM

Getting a mortgage that expires after 75 years of age

I will be 71 years old this May. My wife will be 69 years old next month. We own our house, valued over optimistically at about £800,000 and over cautiously at about £700,000. We have lived here for 20 years.

[..]We are looking to downsize and last summer we had the house on the market at optimistic rates, but are in no real rush and want to wait for a good price on the sale of the house. We expect to be listing the house again in the next month or so. Again we are in no rush to sell, except for the nagging concern that this is the last summer we will be able to offer the house for sale before the mortgage term expires.

in full http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5179679

HOLA4422

I think that the reason why housebuilders are sitting on large amounts of undeveloped land is their developments are stuck in the beauracracy of the planning system. To give an example, in 2001 there was a plan to build 5,000 houses to the west of Stevenage. After 12 years of political interventions, public enquiries, negotiations and judicial reviews, the developers finally gave up and threw in the towel in 2013. How can any private company expect to make a profit if this is what they have to face?

http://www.stevenage.gov.uk/planning/stevenage-west/

Any housing minister that can't get houses built to the west of Stevenage is probably not really trying to get houses built. It's such an obvious spot to do it.

No surprise though when you look at the succession of useless housing ministers Cameron has appointed at a rate of one a year (just like Blair and Brown did).

HOLA4423

Only a certain type of person with certain needs would choose to live in a retirement establishment....what would they do with money they don't need, where would they put it?....live it up on high days, cruises and holidays....for many of them that is not their cup of tea..they don't need the money, but they love their family homes, and as long as they can manage them would IMO choose to stay living in them.

HOLA4424

Only a certain type of person with certain needs would choose to live in a retirement establishment....what would they do with money they don't need, where would they put it?....live it up on high days, cruises and holidays....for many of them that is not their cup of tea..they don't need the money, but they love their family homes, and as long as they can manage them would IMO choose to stay living in them.

More hand wringing sentimental twee ******** there.

HOLA4425

But George said HTB would boost house building.

All it's done is inflate the price.

It was obvious when announced its sole purpose was to support the house builders.

All of the other measures have helped bring the market to the boil.

All of these measures have supported high housing costs and now that issue is itself coming to the boil.

George is today announcing a plan to build 400,000 homes today. Homes that we need now not at some time in the future when the market can support the house builders desire for ever larger returns.