House Price Crash Forum

Long Weekend In Berlin

JoeDavola

HOLA441

My brother and I are going to Berlin for a long weekend in a couple of weeks.

I always get some interesting responses when I ask for HPC recommendations of what to do on my various trips so...any tips for what to see/do in Berlin?

I'd be up for going to a brothel but unfortunately my brother has a sense of shame that I do not. So we'll not be going to any brothels ;)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Depends what you want.

There are loads of places of historical and cultural interest to visit.

Museum Island.

World War 2 Flak Towers.

The Topography of Terror exhibition by the Berlin Wall.

The Fernsehturm.

Fredrick The Great's Palace Sanssouci out at Potsdam.

The Techikmuseum.

Charlottenburg.

If you wander around the streets in some of the areas that are just to the east of old Berlin wall you can still find buildings pock marked with bullet holes from the 1945 Battle for Berlin. Although the distinction between East and West Berlin is disappearing the border between the two was still noticeable when I last visited the city.

The city covers quite a big geographical area for its population size so I would recommend buying a Berlin Welcome card which will give unlimited travel on the U-Bahn, S-Bahn, trams and buses. I found the city much more liveable and useable than London.

There are lots of decent bars so getting boozed up won't be hard.I found the food was surprisingly good even if a little intimidating for those who are not big meat eaters. Pork knuckle is supposed to be the city speciality but I never tried it as it looked rather like trying to eat a small football. The other local delicacy is currywurst which is a bizarre dish of frankfurter dusted with curry powder. Apparently it is Britain's most enduring legacy from its time occupying part of the city

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currywurst

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

If you plan to go up on to the Reichstag roof, I'd recommend you go early in the morning (you'll save yourself a lot of queuing time that can be spent on other activities).

Edit: Seems this doesn't apply any more because you have to notify them before you visit.

Is there a long queue of men with bushy bears in suicide vests queuing up outside?

HOLA4414

The city covers quite a big geographical area for its population size so I would recommend buying a Berlin Welcome card which will give unlimited travel on the U-Bahn, S-Bahn, trams and buses. I found the city much more liveable and useable than London.

I went to London recently for a anime convention next to the Arsenal stadium and I must say I could not legitimately complain about the London Underground (I'm beginning to use many times now), I never felt in danger around the Arsenal area, and Piccadilly Circus felt like a city theme park (with a vulgar Cool Britannia gift shop).

I get the impression that Berlin is very broad, more planned, and so less of a mad crush next to more organic, explosive Tokyo, London and New York.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Any specific questions ?

I am in Berlin most weekends so know quite a bit...

My real uncle went to Berlin a few times. He didn't land and he dropped a few parcels!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Thanks for the replies folks. For those who mentioned hotels; we booked one a few months back in West Berlin that we know from a friend is a good place to stay, and is really cheap too; especially between 2 people.

Any specific questions ?

I am in Berlin most weekends so know quite a bit...

I guess what I enjoy the most when I'm in a European city is seeing the olde-worldy bits of it, old streets with pubs and cosy coffee shops and all that shite.

I also like seeing cities from the water - I see there's a river 'Spree' in Berlin so I'll maybe take a cruise down that.

Would be interested to have any nightlife recommendations for two blokes...26 and 31. Neither of us are into 'dance music' type nightclubs but pubs or clubs that play live music/guitar music would be good. Preferably filled with much younger women of course ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

There's an infamous night club where people go to eat each other's fecal matter. Can't remember the name of it though. (I didn't go)

Barring that, I enjoyed the nuclear bunker tour.

McDumpenplatz

HOLA4425

Archived