House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Five ''lucky''brits Short-Listed For One Way Death Sentence To Mars

Nuts isn't it? Perhaps it's all about being a celebrity.

But without the ''Get me out of here'' option.

S%%t I'd panic stuck in a lift for five minutes...being in a metal box for the rest of your life...bloody nightmare.

Not my idea of a life.

But anyone who would voluntarily go on a cruise ship is signing up for a similarly restricted world, and some people pay good money for that, and love going back for more. Guess it wouldn't be such a big jump for them as for people who value our space.

It seems to me that they are rushing into something fairly advanced, for which the technology isn't ready. In reality this will never get off the ground as early as 2024. Almost seems like an April fool.

Maybe people think that it will be advancing humanity in some way? If it was a choice between stacking shelves in Tesco and doing this what would your choice be?

Reading the linked article they're never going to raise the money they want anyway so it's a bit of a pointless argument. They want £4bn but I don't think that sounds like enough.

Anyone read The Martian? If it was going to be like the book, it might be more challenging. Imagine reading all the books, listening to all the music, playing all the games, doing all the work, ad nauseam, with nothing else to do. Living death. :o

One of them was interviewed on Sky yesterday. I don't anticipate a Neil Armstrong type quote from this mission but she might manage to tell the world that, "Instagram is, like, so slow here!"

Does this remind anybody of the plot behind "restaurant at the end of the universe"?

Can't imagine that you could have a successful Mars colonisation, let alone even a one-way visit, without a lot more money and time than that.

Big problem with Mars is that it's gravity is going to be approximately the same as the earth's, so if you wanted to come back you'd need to land a fully fueled Saturn 5 rocket plus a facility the size of Cape Canaveral on Mars.

One or two obvious difficulties there.

Big problem with Mars is that it's gravity is going to be approximately the same as the earth's, so if you wanted to come back you'd need to land a fully fueled Saturn 5 rocket plus a facility the size of Cape Canaveral on Mars.

The idea is that they don't come back.. but it's just a crowdfunded flight of fancy so not going to happen. See also solar roadways.

The idea is that they don't come back.. but it's just a crowdfunded flight of fancy so not going to happen. See also solar roadways.

Riedquat's point was more general than this particular mission.

Riedquat's point was more general than this particular mission.

It wasn't intended to be. AIUI this is supposed to be a colonisation attempt, not just a "get there, have a look around, then have a lingering death shortly afterwards" mission. Both are one-way but the former would require lugging along a lot more gear.

Mars's surface gravity is about a third of Earth's and its escape velocity a little under a half.

According to the scientist on Sky yesterday, "6 billion might sound like a lot of money, but really it's not."

This thread is going to be a marathon.

Lets try and keep it on topic.

Just don't get it. If you don't die on route you are stuck in a claustrophobic pod for the rest of your life with muscle wastage with a very good chance you will die within five years.

Seriously this is my worst nightmare.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31489948

When you look at people saying "just nuke the planet already!" on the Ukraine/WWIII thread or people who've said "stop the world I want to get off", then this seems a potentially plausible alternative. It all depends on your perspective and raison d'etre. Lack of social mobility and a stacked deck are both reasons to think outside the box (although the Instagram comment just made me throw up in my mouth a little bit).

Mars's surface gravity is about a third of Earth's and its escape velocity a little under a half.

Which I understand is what prevents you from coming back after being there a while.

We might get things to Mars, but I don't think people will go! They will miss pubs, and countryside, and a delivery from Amazon will take some time!