House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Free Land In An English-Speaking Tropical Paradise

Pitcairn Island

There's a fair degree of negative spin in the article but take that out and it sounds pretty nice; not many jobs (of course) but you can have a smallholding to grow food and are eligible for benefits so would have easily enough money.

That's got to be an attractive proposition for a lot of people.

the government provides all immigrants with a plot to build their own house and temperatures stay above 62F (17C) all year round.

There is only one general store on the island, which opens three times a week. Orders for food from New Zealand must be placed every three months.

once you are there, you are as connected as anywhere else,” she said. “The island has electricity and the internet now.

“It is a special place and it is beautiful seeing the stars without light pollution. There are the bluest waters you have ever seen.”

:lol: What was it? Step away from the bicycle? Never watched that one, and i aint gonna.

?

I'm being serious. We have had arson in our apiary very recently. I feel like crap and if I could move away I would. I think PItcairn might be a bit far though.

Can I bring my children to settle on Pitcairn?

There are currently separate procedures in place regarding visits and settlement by children under 16 years of age. If you wish to apply on behalf of a child you will need to contact the Deputy Governor's Office in New Zealand.

Clearly a problem for kids.

Free land? Genuinely free? No strings attached? (i.e must remain on the island for some set period of time without break)......

Where do I sign up?!

Although.........I'm assuming transport to and from the island back to 'civilisation' must be covered out of your own pocket? IF so then presumably that will be the biggest downside? as it won't be cheap?

Free land? Genuinely free? No strings attached? (i.e must remain on the island for some set period of time without break)......

Where do I sign up?!

Although.........I'm assuming transport to and from the island back to 'civilisation' must be covered out of your own pocket? IF so then presumably that will be the biggest downside? as it won't be cheap?

I think the bigger problem is the tesco delivery.

Maybe we need someone with a boat.

Where do I sign up?!

Read the faq's on my link above.

Sounds awesome to me, my girlfriend and I have plans to move somewhere remote in the future, although I seriously doubt she would want it to be that remote.

Must admit I looked at it for more than a few moments and then bookmarked it.

I suspect the lack of access to (especially, emergency) health care would be a big issue for many especially those getting on a bit.

In theory is would be possible for me to carry on doing what I do, which is largely work-from-home as a consultant, on that island. It has internet access.

However if that's satellite based, it wouldn't suffice. If a cable has been laid which seems unlikely but not impossible, and that cable breaks, it could be down for months. This happens on some of the Scottish islands.

There is no redundancy, so whilst in theory the continuation of the business would be possible, I suspect it would be irreparably brought down at some point.

In theory is would be possible for me to carry on doing what I do, which is largely work-from-home as a consultant, on that island. It has internet access.

However if that's satellite based, it wouldn't suffice. If a cable has been laid which seems unlikely but not impossible, and that cable breaks, it could be down for months. This happens on some of the Scottish islands.

There is no redundancy, so whilst in theory the continuation of the business would be possible, I suspect it would be irreparably brought down at some point.

Get your own internet satellite dish. Use existing service for a level of redundancy.

I'd be more bothered about losing the wide range of fresh food I enjoy here. Might be able to grow a little, but that would clearly fall short of a modern lifestyle. I'd miss our supermarkets!

Isolation second only to the Mars mission ...

Hmmm. No tax. Now there's an attraction!

No tax - but no jobs or salaries either...no point in taxation.

Is there a limit on the number of applicants Pitcairn can take?

The current Strategic Development Plan is looking to grow the population to 80 residents over the next five years. Expansion beyond this has not been ruled out.

I wonder if wicker man construction skills are in demand.

I like the living costs breakdown in your link which suggests a mean. of NZ$ 9,464...and average government salary of NZ$ 6,000.

Shame civil servants here dont earn a third less than the people who they steal from to pay their wages...

Is there an off-licence? :blink:

Must be intersting to visit, but I don't think I could live there.

Is there an off-licence? :blink:

Must be intersting to visit, but I don't think I could live there.

You could always brew your own and sell it to the natives...or barter it.

You could always brew your own and sell it to the natives...or barter it.

All 79 of the others! Even the little "Turnip Town" I live in, has many thousands of people!