House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Peak Hotel Room Prices

Just been looking for a hotel room in London and the prices are obscene.

They must have doubled in the last 5 years.

I remember reading somewhere about the great depression in the US and 2 big signs of the collapse were the oil price plummeting and the bottom dropping out of the hotel market.

Looking at the prices I see I think we might be about to see just that.

I'd rather not go to London than pay the obscene prices.

I don't know where you're looking but you could do worse than

http://www.imperialhotels.co.uk/during the week.

At the w/e try the Grange by St Pauls who do some great deals then.We stayed there for £99 a few weeks back.

Whilst we're on the topic,I remember years ago paying £80/90 a night when staying in market towns around the UK.Now they been Travelodged and are struggling to fill rooms at £40(some of them were sh1t).B&B prices are where they were years ago and a lot of them are struggling if they aren't somehwere like Stratford.

At the w/e try the Grange by St Pauls who do some great deals then.We stayed there for £99 a few weeks back.

Whilst we're on the topic,I remember years ago paying £80/90 a night when staying in market towns around the UK.Now they been Travelodged and are struggling to fill rooms at £40(some of them were sh1t).B&B prices are where they were years ago and a lot of them are struggling if they aren't somehwere like Stratford.

Thanks for the tip, i'll book mark that.

Symptons of peak hotel prices maybe ?

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Stayed Saturday night last week. £133 for a twin room in the Mercure (Southwark) with breakfast.

So £67 each. Fantastic 5 star service from the mostly French staff. The breakfast (Admittedly fair 3 star quality) would have cost at least £15 each. So we're now paying about £50 each for a bed / shower / room / facilities for a night in Central London.

Parked company car (free personal fuel) in the Minories next to Tower of London. Nearly 24hrs of parking for £2. Yes, £2.

London can be cheap if you try

Stayed Saturday night last week. £133 for a twin room in the Mercure (Southwark) with breakfast.

London can be cheap if you try

£133 - a night ? Cheap ? That's a famillies weekly shopping budget.

There are rooms available on the outskirts of London on airbnb. They've been banned from London for a while but recently the ban was lifted I believe.

I've always felt uncomfortable relying on people from airbnb and it's an odd experience to stay in a stranger's spare room but you can save quite a bit of money this way.

My experience is that hotels are a complete opposite to houses and flats. I've found decent-enough (not Travelodge) places in London and Reading a whole lot cheaper than southwest England in recent times. Seventysomething quid for a very comfortable night, compared to £100 for a ****hole with a lumpy bed, non-working shower and which gave me food poisoning in Truro, to take an extreme example.

£133 - a night ? Cheap ? That's a famillies weekly shopping budget.

In the context of a weekend in London, though, that is cheap.

Not too sure how general hotel prices map to the state of the economy though.

In the context of a weekend in London, though, that is cheap.

:D:D:D

That's my point, £133 for a bed for a night is not cheap, it might be relatively cheap but it's certainly not cheap.

Hotel rooms occupancy and prices are a good indicator of economic activity/

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VBljswTLaIEC&pg=PA250&lpg=PA250&dq=hotels+during+the+great+depression&source=bl&ots=bWjwLGnUVU&sig=wRvMQttOml6VGtbxaKNFY-RE0l0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=QYHkVM70OobZ7AaCk4DgDg&ved=0CCcQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=hotels%20during%20the%20great%20depression&f=false

My experience is that hotels are a complete opposite to houses and flats. I've found decent-enough (not Travelodge) places in London and Reading a whole lot cheaper than southwest England in recent times. Seventysomething quid for a very comfortable night, compared to £100 for a ****hole with a lumpy bed, non-working shower and which gave me food poisoning in Truro, to take an extreme example.

Absolutely.Where Travelodge/Travelinn go,standards and value improve massively.

Thankfully,the internet has been the death of the sort of B&B's that Bill Bryson used to write about.

Thankfully,the internet has been the death of the sort of B&B's that Bill Bryson used to write about.

I like a premier inn, you can get them for £29 sometimes.

I miss the old days of really awful B&Bs though. I remember staying in one in Swansea (for work) where I had the Satellite distribution system in my room, when the drunk road workers feel asleep with the TV on at full blast, I could simply switch them off. I also miss the chinese woman in Wokingham that I would call at 1am to get her to switch off the drunk road workers TVs too. If you are a road worker reading this...TURN YOUR F**KING TV OFF YOU DRUNK BAST*ARD.

My point is, the premier inn might be great ( comfortable and sometimes great value for money ), they are bland and I have no new anecdotes.

I remember the time I stayed in the premier inn and it was comfortable and I slept well.....will not help make people interesting.

Huh? Travelodge was a valiant effort, but has become something of a last resort! Whereas old-fashioned B&Bs were often superb value, though also a complete lottery.

And as for the internet, the place I mentioned in Truro was Tripadvisor's highest-rated hotel in the city at the time. Hmmm, it's changed name (and hopefully also management) now.

I like a premier inn, you can get them for £29 sometimes.

I've never got one for £29, but I do use them sometimes. In Exeter - where I've stayed in quite a few places recently - it's become my regular: at about £80 it's towards the cheap end and the alternatives are pretty terrible.

Huh? Travelodge was a valiant effort, but has become something of a last resort! Whereas old-fashioned B&Bs were often superb value, though also a complete lottery.

And as for the internet, the place I mentioned in Truro was Tripadvisor's highest-rated hotel in the city at the time. Hmmm, it's changed name (and hopefully also management) now.

You need to take the sherlock holmes approach, always pick the 3rd one.

You dont expect to pay 120+ just for that.

What I find odd is, air fares are (reasonably) competitive, and yet hotels are so much more significant proportion of most people's travel costs.

I suspect many people are wasting a day's holiday, or paying for an extra night's accommmoation, just to get the cheapest easyjet flight. (or I should say, I often catch myself nearly falling into this trap)

What I find odd is, air fares are (reasonably) competitive, and yet hotels are so much more significant proportion of most people's travel costs.

I suspect many people are wasting a day's holiday, or paying for an extra night's accommmoation, just to get the cheapest easyjet flight. (or I should say, I often catch myself nearly falling into this trap)

The thing that gets me is how cheap are fares would be if it wasnt for the taxation.

I believe there is tax on the hotel rooms also.

Maybe the thread should be peak taxation !!!! I for one can't take any more.

I have long found UK hotel prices not to be worth paying.

Mid-week, next week (so a grey, wet time of year), a room at 'Le Manoir' is £555 for a tiny (22 square metres) room, up to £1285 for a small suite (46 square metres). This DOESN'T include dinner, only breakfast.

With dinner + drinks it's £1,000. Which easily covers a week in the sun in a nice hotel with good staff.

And don't get me wrong, I've stayed in some of the world's best hotels, I've forked out for the best in Thailand, India, Turkey, Egypt, Indonesia, Las Vegas, Orlando, Singapore, Mexico, and others besides, but I can't really see any circumstances where I could contemplate paying £hundreds for a damp British hotel room. Am I supposed to be impressed by the doorman? You can get the same experience for free by walking into Fortnum & Mason or something.

At least the Americans haven't wised up - though those 'Moonfleet Manor' type places in the country obviously aren't selling to them, but to middle-class families with cash to burn.

For me it's simple - Travelodge/Premier Inn/tent in a field, or fly, fly away from Western Europe, to somewhere your holiday pound goes so much further.

The thing that gets me is how cheap are fares would be if it wasnt for the taxation.

Only long-haul fares are heavily taxed. For a Ryanair flight from a regional airport the service charge (which is not a tax) will be very low, and the flight tax is something like £8.

It's only on long-haul where you get shafted - around £80 to Bangkok.

No jet fuel tax either.