House Price Crash Forum
davidg

Ian Beale Talks Hpi

"East Enders, it's drama, no one living on the square could afford any of these houses they're supposed to live in, they'd all be over a million quid"

Coupled with Alfie (with 3 kids and a wife) torching the house for the insurance money because they were so broke when you have economic migrants from all over the world risking their lives to get to the UK to exploit one of, if not the, most generous benefit systems on the planet.

Totally unrealistic divorced from 2015 modern day reality.

Coupled with Alfie (with 3 kids and a wife) torching the house for the insurance money because they were so broke when you have economic migrants from all over the world risking their lives to get to the UK to exploit one of, if not the, most generous benefit systems on the planet.

Totally unrealistic divorced from 2015 modern day reality.

Its a story.

Like in most shows, income is never an issue unless it is the story.

Surely they'd have all been pulled now with nice executive rabbit hutches built in their place? With the Vic turned into flats?

...or yet another metro supermarket shop.

As depressing as Eastenders is I think if they were to show a true representation of life for normal people now in East London it might become too much.

Like most Londoners who don't own they'd be in receipt of housing benefit.

....it is not the renters that are the ultimate recipients of housing benefit.

....it is not the renters that are the ultimate recipients of housing benefit.

Yes and no. If someone is living with their partner in a shared house but then becomes a pro single parent and lives in a house on housing benefit then I would say that they (as well as the landlord) benefit from it. (True story by the way, the landlord was the council).

Yes and no. If someone is living with their partner in a shared house but then becomes a pro single parent and lives in a house on housing benefit then I would say that they (as well as the landlord) benefit from it. (True story by the way, the landlord was the council).

Sorry, as I don't watch east enders I am not familiar with the latest storyline .

I think the biggest myth perpetuated by soaps is that the business men are all minting it and the public sector are living in poverty.

So you get the guy with the car lot making millions, or in years past a Mike Baldwin with a knitwear factory doing well....no actually they would be both making diddly squat and be on working tax credit these days, and then you get somebody like Charlie on Casualty apparently living in poverty and riding his bike home. No the guy would be on circa £50,000 per year as the senior nurse and have a superannuated retirement contract worth 7 figures by now if purchased on the open Market. Obviously some one like him deserves it, but for God sake don't play the poverty card, overworked but not underpaid.

You even get the ridiculous plots about Chief Inspectors having no money, Frost comes to me. Ok Wycliffe was the 1990s...but it was unthinkable that a Superintendent might have £30,000 in savings (still less than 50k today) (''Where would I get a sum like that'' Wycliffe says when it is found embezzled into his account).

Just f**king irritating scripts.

Edited by crashmonitor

I think the biggest myth perpetuated by soaps is that the business men are all minting it and the public sector are living in poverty.

So you get the guy with the car lot making millions, or in years past a Mike Baldwin with a knitwear factory doing well....no actually they would be both making diddly squat and be on working tax credit these days, and then you get somebody like Charlie on Casualty apparently living in poverty and riding his bike home. No the guy would be on circa £50,000 per year as the senior nurse and have a superannuated retirement contract worth 7 figures by now if purchased on the open Market. Obviously some one like him deserves it, but for God sake don't play the poverty card, overworked but not underpaid.

You even get the ridiculous plots about Chief Inspectors having no money, Frost comes to me. Ok Wycliffe was the 1990s...but it was unthinkable that a Superintendent might have £30,000 in savings (still less than 50k today) (''Where would I get a sum like that'' Wycliffe says when it is found embezzled into his account).

Just f**king irritating scripts.

+1

Is Charlie in Casualty really still portrayed as being poor?

Surely they'd have all been pulled now with nice executive rabbit hutches built in their place? With the Vic turned into flats?

They showed the "real" Queen Vic (the Queen Elizabeth) on BBC Breakfast this morning, it has been turned into flats.

queeneliz0510-618x544.jpg

Edited by davidg

Guest eight

Who was the poster on here who had a young, baseball capped Ian Beale as their avatar? That was a loooong time ago...

Next phase spoilt brats moaning that it has lost the 'character' it had when they discovered it 5 years ago. New Waitrose nestles amongst the halal fried chicken outlets and Foxtons describe hovels that would disgrace a shantytown as 'stunning'. The last pie and mash shop closes and the media runs articles about the latest trendy London village.

This is more the reality....

albert square.JPG

Tongue not so much in cheek these sorts or programs control the Psych of the UK population...

Look at how storylines have been used to bring about breast screening awareness and stuff like that....

The reality would have a couple of storylines where mortgage payer gets made redundant and eventually they come round and evict him for not keeping up repayments ect..

post-13816-0-83455500-1424084048_thumb.jpg

Sorry, as I don't watch east enders I am not familiar with the latest storyline .

Neither do I - this was something that happened to someone I know. (The words true story should have been a clue).

That is nothing....Coronation street has been bought up by some foreign ( British bank Givernment funded ) BTL speculators who have been promised British passports as an incentive to act like an irresponsible greedy pr*ck.

( The Givernment is deliberate, then dont govern any more they just Give other peoples money to their mates ).