House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Tesco To Cut Up To 10,000 Jobs

Tesco to cut up to 10,000 jobs

Every job cut helps?

As the supermarkets have hoovered up the business for local shops I wonder what these people will do? I wonder what the f/t p/t split will be in the losses?

Its mostly head office jobs, jobs from the 43 stores being closed, plus an entire layer of store management. Bring it on I say... making the chain more efficient is better than it slowly going down the pan.

What are Aldi and Lidl like on the continent? Do they have better/bigger stores there than they do here?

Good news their share holders have been really suffering recently. Some are having to sail around in yacht that are last years model. We have got to keep the money pumping up to the top.

Good news their share holders have been really suffering recently. Some are having to sail around in yacht that are last years model. We have got to keep the money pumping up to the top.

think of your pension

Its mostly head office jobs, jobs from the 43 stores being closed, plus an entire layer of store management. Bring it on I say... making the chain more efficient is better than it slowly going down the pan.

What are Aldi and Lidl like on the continent? Do they have better/bigger stores there than they do here?

they do.

Odd time to get into mortgage lending. I suspect it is tied up with Tesco starting to want to build on their not required sites houses instead of supermarkets. Whether they can avoid land writedowns I don't know. Other builders seem to be indicating slowing growth in building into general election.

Tesco have 310,000 employees in the UK

in 2007 they had 260,000

So they have added 50,000 since the peak of the market and most people thought there were too many Tescos back then

Clarke added staff cause their service was sh1t.

New boy shedding staff cause their profits are sh1t.

Clarke added staff cause their service was sh1t.

New boy shedding staff cause their profits are sh1t.

This is not the public service you are talking about you know.... ;)

Lidl and Aldi could hire them as they never seem to have more than 2 people on the checkouts no matter how busy it is.

Edited by Samboy

They seem to be going in the right direction. Cutting their losses, and throwing money into areas where it is profitable.

They can't compete easily on price with the discounters - so they'll need to compete in other areas where they don't have a presence. That is mortgage lending. The traditional banks still have a reputation to rebuild, and so Tesco sees this as an area it can increase market share.

Lidl and Aldi could hire them as they never seem to have more than 2 people on the checkouts no matter how busy it is.

The Aldi I know (in Kilburn) is usually well-manned with at least 5 people on the tills.

I find it more frustrating in the local Tesco where there is just 1 person operating the tills - although there is another person there who seems to spend all day processing coins in their super-duper change machine. Very few people use the self-service tills as they invariably mal-function.