House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
English Rose

Middlesbrough Prices About To Surge!

Talking to taxi driver taking me out of M'boro last night (him driving down the road at speed with both hands off the wheel to open his bottle of coke). I asked about the boarded up houses all along the road.

He told me they're a goldmine. People come up from London, buy a load of them for £15 - 20k each, rent them out. That's why they're boarded up (?!?) Then the council comes and wants the land and buys them off you for £200k each (!!!!!).

We're driving through this really rough area - boarded up houses, no shops, and it's freezing bloody cold. He starts telling me about the new development they're putting in, house prices are going to shoot up because of it. There's going to be 24-hour gambling places, 24-hour drinking places. They're going to get tourists coming from all over, ... it's going to be JUST LIKE DUBAI! :lol: Remember, you heard it here first!

:D

I am originally from Boro, still own a property and rent it out, and that has brought a smile to my face!

Isn't the area concerned, St. Hilda's???

I know they are on about developing Middlehaven near the footy ground but being like Dubai and rocketing prices, i think this could be one of the funniest things i've heard for a while.

Prices are ridiculous in Middlesbrough as it is.

Once taxi drivers and hairdressers start talking about something, its time to get out!

:D

I am originally from Boro

from Middlesbrough to Bermuda! Any regrets?

PS next time I need financial advice, I'll hang around on Linthorpe Road at 3am waiting for a taxi.

"Once taxi drivers and hairdressers start talking about something, its time to get out!"

Yup, made me think of that famous anecdote about the millionaire and the shoeshine boy.

The prices in Middlesboro are scary. It's still a pretty depressed area and there's nowhere like the differential that there should be between there and where I'm living in the south-east, given the difference in the jobs situation. I was in Stockton-on-Tees during the summer and couldn't believe the prices in the estate agents windows. When I talk to people locally there's a real boom mentality "I can't afford this mortgage but prices are only going to go up so I'm going to go for it..." Lovely people as well. :(

"Once taxi drivers and hairdressers start talking about something, its time to get out!"

Yup, made me think of that famous anecdote about the millionaire and the shoeshine boy.

The prices in Middlesboro are scary. It's still a pretty depressed area and there's nowhere like the differential that there should be between there and where I'm living in the south-east, given the difference in the jobs situation. I was in Stockton-on-Tees during the summer and couldn't believe the prices in the estate agents windows. When I talk to people locally there's a real boom mentality "I can't afford this mortgage but prices are only going to go up so I'm going to go for it..." Lovely people as well. :(

that's right, and not people you would generally describe as financial sophisticates!

a couple of my oldest friends have got sucked into this, which is why I can take no joy from what is about to happen.

What is worth remembering is that the last boom/crash never really reached out that far, at least not to any notable degree. So there is no folk memory holding people back.

that's right, and not people you would generally describe as financial sophisticates!

a couple of my oldest friends have got sucked into this, which is why I can take no joy from what is about to happen.

What is worth remembering is that the last boom/crash never really reached out that far, at least not to any notable degree. So there is no folk memory holding people back.

yeah an aquaintence of mine told me he always had a 'feeling' when house prices were about to boom which was why he'd become so wealthy and he gave me some valuable advice - to buy now or get locked out. indeed yes. This was 11 months ago and in my locality (ok Leeds not Middlesborough - but I'm talking about the principle of idiocy here) certainly in my surrounding postcodes prices of likely properties have stagnated or, in the cases of flats, fallen quite sharply. So I've saved up to £17,500 totting up rent/mortgage costs + price correction by not listening to him. He works in a factpry, but the guy who cuts my hair has also been advising me about BTL. I wouldn't mind but I didn't at any point ask their advice - they just gave it me anyway, and thought it laughable that I didn't take it. Words cannot describe my contempt for people with this arrogant attitude - apparently happy to offer advice but no doubt unprepared to accept responsibility for its capacity to destroy your life in the event that it is misguided.

Edited by Si1

from Middlesbrough to Bermuda! Any regrets?

You may find it hard to believe but i will be returning in 2007, the grass isnt always greener on the other side. To be honest, i dont even realise where i am, the nice beaches and pretty sunsets are now the norm for me and it will only sink in when i go back to Boro. And yes the picture is the view from out of my window, i may regret coming back to england!!

I'll be financially secure and at 27 if i dont fancy it i have plenty of time to move on again.

Anyway, my house has gone up over 200% since 2002, i would say a realistic price is about a 25% reduction on what it is now.

The prices are out of control and not in line with the low wages which the majority of people are on in the area.

I think your both talking out of your Rectums regarding Middlesborough.Houses in this region are selling no sign of any drop .

Thats a bit harsh, i disagree, asking prices are the same but selling prices are reducing.

In response to your harsh comment re read your post and you will find out who is the rectum. A 22 word sentence with 5 errors in, including Middlesbrough spelt incorrectly..................embarrassing!

Thats a bit harsh, i disagree, asking prices are the same but selling prices are reducing.

In response to your harsh comment re read your post and you will find out who is the rectum. A 22 word sentence with 5 errors in, including Middlesbrough spelt incorrectly..................embarrassing!

He isnt listed as usergroup: Trolls in his signature for nothjing!

Kissmy, love the avatar, might borrow that quote!

House prices are rock solid...

...just so long as we maintain record lows of inflation and unemployment.

If anything at all goes wrong, I have a nasty feeling that M'boro is going to suffer more than most this time round. :(

House prices are rock solid...

and you know how unlikely that is - EXTREMELY!

Edited by Fancypants

I would have thought you would have got the spelling right on your avatar!

I bet he or she does not know what is wrong with the spelling on his or her avatar.

I remain your obedient servant whereas you're my master.

I don't think they are showing significant signs of a drop. Having said that I wouldn't touch the place with a barge pole.

Anyone noticed how many flats are for sale, for rent or being built at the moment? Scary! I know a couple "investing" in a new build flat. Rather them than me.

In Boro, that means as long as the government can support the local population with jobs. None of my friends from the area work in private industry anymore.

Edited by Golden Shower