House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Windows 2000 & Windowsnt 4

Without going to into the whys and wherefores I need to, temporarily, use a Windows2000 (or better still WindowsNT 4.0) PC - to enable me to make use of/gain access to some ancient software & files that simply will not run under post-WIn XP systems (and don't reliably work even under Win XP).

Rather than go through, what I suspect would be, a major rigamarole of trying to get a modern PC to run one of these ancient Windows operating systems for what would be just a temporary use......it occurred to me that perhaps there are emulators for them?

Anyone able to recommend a free and reliable emulator that can be installed on a Windows7 64-bit system - and thus allow me to temporarily treat the machine as if it were really running Windows2000 or NT 4 ??

TIA

Use a virtual machine? VMware or Virtualbox. I use VMWare to run Windows XP on a Linux box, before XP I used to run 2000. You'll need the original Windows install discs.

indeed, some modern kit wont even start with anything not plug and play, even early XP stuff didnt have some P+P drivers modern boards might use.

Use a virtual machine? VMware or Virtualbox.

OK. I've just started checking out Virtualbox.

Says, at a galnce, it will 'host' Windows2000 but "with additions". Still reading though......

Thanks any way though for the suggestion.

Wouldn't it be easier to just get hold of an antique PC? I bet you could find one for free on Freecycle.

I had thought of that. But there are a variety of reasons not to go down that route. For example.....I need to have the PC internet connected though. That raises all sorts of other problems, as modern browsers aren't even compatible with these old OS's.

Then there is expense, for what is only going to be a temporary requirement.

There is 'performance'. Even with the 'overheads' of the virtual machine/emulator slowing it down, the OS and apps will run vastly faster on a modern high spec machine compared with a 386 or 486 processor machine with 256Mb RAM, or such like.

So a virtual machine/emulator approach is more appealing.

I've never heard of one, though that doesn't mean that there isn't one.

I'm certain that I don't still have the Windows NT 4 disc, but it is faintly possible that I might have a Windows 2000 one if you need it. Will have to have a look through the archived stuff in the shed so let me know if it comes to it.

I've never heard of one, though that doesn't mean that there isn't one.

I'm certain that I don't still have the Windows NT 4 disc, but it is faintly possible that I might have a Windows 2000 one if you need it. Will have to have a look through the archived stuff in the shed so let me know if it comes to it.

That's uncommonly kind of you dear chap. I do, however, actually still have the discs for Win2000 and WinNT - unless the dear wife has thrown them out without my knowing?! Wouldn't be the first time. :-(

VirtualBox certainly runs Windows 3.1 and 98, so I presume any VM is likely to run 2000 and NT. Probably better than an old PC, since you shouldn't have to hunt around for any special drivers, just use the ones for the emulated hardware.

Without going to into the whys and wherefores I need to, temporarily, use a Windows2000 (or better still WindowsNT 4.0) PC - to enable me to make use of/gain access to some ancient software & files that simply will not run under post-WIn XP systems (and don't reliably work even under Win XP).

Rather than go through, what I suspect would be, a major rigamarole of trying to get a modern PC to run one of these ancient Windows operating systems for what would be just a temporary use......it occurred to me that perhaps there are emulators for them?

Anyone able to recommend a free and reliable emulator that can be installed on a Windows7 64-bit system - and thus allow me to temporarily treat the machine as if it were really running Windows2000 or NT 4 ??

TIA

if you have an old enough PC in the first place that is not exclusively 64 bit,then surely the easiest way would just be to partition the hard drive and boot up a fresh copy.

problem is with some of these emulators,it they are not totally foolproof.

like microsoft office 2013/2010 going back to 2003..some features work but others are not back compatible

OK. I've just started checking out Virtualbox.

Says, at a galnce, it will 'host' Windows2000 but "with additions". Still reading though......

Windows 2000 is fully supported in Virtualbox. The "additions" are extra tools that can be installed on your guest system, that make virtual running more convenient - e.g. a shared clipboard so you can copy-paste between applications on the guest system and the host system.

I use oracle VM Virtual box to run a copy of xp on my Win 8.1 64 bit machine, works great the only thing I found tricky to set up was the virtual shared drive which I used to place programme files I needed to install.

I should add the reason I started running Win2K in a virtual machine, was that I needed a Windows PC to run legacy software. I had bought a new PC, and the new PC would only accept 640x480 graphics in Win2K - due to the lack of up-to-date drivers for the graphics.

I was already running a dual-partition Win2K/Linux, which someone has suggested upthread. I installed Virtualbox in Linux, installed WIN2000 on that and lo and behold! Windows in full resolution. I later switched to VMware as I found that easier to set up.

I did later find a full-resolution Win2K driver for my machine, out in the far east, with no English documentation. It seems this wasn't available in the West, forcing a new PC owner to upgrade his OS. Marketing ploy to force upgrades of your OS?

thanks all.

I will, hopefully, be sitting down to get this all sorted this coming weekend. Like one of the posters said, it's in order to be able to run some very old software that just wont run on WinXP or Win7

Out of interest is this something you have the source code for?

Wondering if it's some ancient Delphi or Visual Basic 3 thing.

Because I do have a copy of Visual Studio 6 (I think it is) which might be able to open and recompile it. I wouldn't suggest it would be straightforward or easy but if the software is valuable enough, and you did have the source, perhaps it could be salvaged.